Rich Morris' Comics - YAFGC and The ComixBlog

Discussion forum for fans of YAFGC and Rich's ComixBlog. Because all the cool webcomics have one.

Jump to YAFGC / Jump to The ComixBlog

It is currently Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:17 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

[ 7 posts ] 

New Opening Credits
Poll ended at Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:29 am
YEAH!! 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Nooooooo!! 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Meh. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 0
 Post subject: Doctor Who: The Snowmen *SPOILERS*
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:29 am 
Orc
Orc

I'll discuss the story itself after I've seen it, but I just had to stop long enough to say this:

Thank you, thank, thank you, Steven Moffat, for putting the Doctor's face back in the opening credits! REALLY made my day!

Post subject: Re: Doctor Who: The Snowmen *SPOILERS*
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:35 am 
Creator
Creator

SPOILER ALERT!

Okay, I just watched it and rather enjoyed even. Even though parts of it made me cringe.

First comment, though, is that I noticed a HEAP of Patrick Troughton (the 2nd Doctor) era references in this episode. Not least of all: The Doctor's new (and thoroughly AWESOME) costume. Granted the awesome classic-style Doctor Who coat rings closer to Pertwee and Hartnell than Troughton, he does have the funny top-hat and checkered trousers that ring more of the 2nd Doctor. I've always thought his hair was a fun call back as well.

This 11th Doctor episode is "The Snowmen" and features The Great Intelligence controlling Snowmen. The 2nd Doctor had an episode called "The Abominable Snowmen" about The Great Intelligence controlling robotic Yeti in Tibet.

The companion, Clara, is featured as a Victorian girl who works in a mansion as a governess to two children.

The 2nd Doctor had a companion named Victoria Waterfield who was a Victorian woman who lived in a mansion. She looked fairly similar to Clara in many ways.

Clara first appeared in "The Asylum of the Daleks" and she died in it. Victoria first appeared in "The Evil of the Daleks" and her father died in it.

Doctor 11 refers to the Sontaran as a potato-head. Doctor II's companion Jamie MacCrimmon described the Sontarans as being Potato-headed Hobgoblins.

Meanwhile there is also the obvious reference to the 4th Doctor from "The Talons of Weng Chiang" who dons the Holmsien Cloak and Deerstalker and creates a surrogate Watson out of Professor Litefoot.

Incidently, since "The Snowmen" takes place in 1892 and "The Talons of Weng Chiang" takes place between 1889 and 1901, it's distinctly possible that the 4th and 11th Doctor near-miss eachother. That and the 11th Doctor has been hanging around long enough to possibly run into or meet Jago and Litefoot. Heck, this is ripe for a Lady Vastra and Jenny Flint/Jago and Litefoot crossover... Hmmmm...

A glance at the Wikipedia article on "The Snowmen" reminds me that the Doctor II episode "Web of Fear", which features the Great Intelligence and the Yeti (Abominable Snowmen) takes place in the London Underground, which the Doctor points out to the GI is a weak point, setting in motion the events of his past episodes.

Anywhoo... that was all cool stuff. What I *didn't* like about this episode was mainly what annoys me about a lot of the Moffatt episodes. Another ravenous female sexual predator harassing the Doctor and making a buffoon out of him.

Please stop. Please. We get it, Moffatt. You've got a crush on the Doctor and you want to have his babies. Please let someone else write the female characters from now on. How about an actual woman? Thank you.

Oh... that and the mystical magical power of Christmas. I guess all the non-Christians are doomed since they can't be saved by such things as a family crying together on Christmas.

Profile WWW YIM  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:26 am 
Kobold
Kobold

I'm really interested in seeing where this whole Oswin Oswald thing is going. I'm just hoping that it doesn't end up being another River Song-type thing.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:38 am 
Orc
Orc

I can certainly see your point about the female companion, Rich. Yeah, that's annoying. Especially since, as far as we know, the Doctor is still a married man. I wonder if he saw River during this time?

I liked the tall hat, which was another nod to Doctor #2. Troughton wore one in his first story, "Power of the Daleks". No complete episodes of that one exists, just some grainy clips and some still photographs. Smith has said that his favorite past Doctor was Troughton's, and I think that shows in this. Even a little nod to the second Doctor with the house being surrounded and under seige (which was a hallmark of the Troughton era).

I loved Strax in this. He got the best lines. (Didn't he die in "A Good Man Goes To War"?) His line before asking "May I take your coat?" just cracked me up.

All-in-all, a good Christmas story. Not perfect, but enjoyable.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:12 pm 
Puce Guardian
Puce Guardian

Yes he died, but a friend brought him back. Seeing all the old gang from Good Man Goes To War was fun, and I really enjoyed all the characters. Much better than last years special, which was a relief.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 6:22 am 
Kobold
Kobold

First comment, though, is that I noticed a HEAP of Patrick Troughton (the 2nd Doctor) era references in this episode. Not least of all: The Doctor's new (and thoroughly AWESOME) costume. Granted the awesome classic-style Doctor Who coat rings closer to Pertwee and Hartnell than Troughton, he does have the funny top-hat and checkered trousers that ring more of the 2nd Doctor. I've always thought his hair was a fun call back as well.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 12:33 pm 
Kobold
Kobold

It's laborious to seek out knowledgeable folks on this topic, but you sound like you already know what youre talking about! Thanks

[ 7 posts ]