Rich Morris' Comics - YAFGC and The ComixBlog

Discussion forum for fans of YAFGC and Rich's ComixBlog. Because all the cool webcomics have one.

Jump to YAFGC / Jump to The ComixBlog

It is currently Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:27 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

[ 14 posts ] 
 Post subject: The Twelfth Doctor
PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:14 am 
Goblin
Goblin

Bit surprised nobody's been discussing this at all around here.

Anyway - as I'm sure everybody knows by now, Peter Capaldi has been cast as Twelve. Matt Smith is on his way out at Christmas. And then, after the post-regeneration scene, we have to wait until next August before we see Capaldi in action properly - no doubt with a great amount of hollerin' and higgeldy-piggeldy kerfuffle in between.

I'm rather pleased that the Doctor is in his '50s again. Hoping they go for a sort of Pertwee-styled Doctor with a more fatherly relationship with Clara instead of a potential love interest.

Still rather sad about Smith leaving. I identified with his Doctor the most (quirky, out of touch, snazzy dresser, etc.), but change is what the show is all about, and I welcome Peter Capaldi and his fun name.

Post subject: Re: The Twelfth Doctor
PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:42 am 
Enforcer
Enforcer

He has a doctorish face, this is for sure. I am not sure if his age will discourage any romantic notions towards Clara, but i hope that it does -there is no need for romantic overtones in every relationship with a human shaped female, i think, it tends to weaken the serious romantic plots.
I look forward to seeing him too, by the way :D . Is he the first non english actor to take the role?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:13 am 
Creator
Creator

Morgana wrote:
He has a doctorish face, this is for sure. I am not sure if his age will discourage any romantic notions towards Clara, but i hope that it does -there is no need for romantic overtones in every relationship with a human shaped female, i think, it tends to weaken the serious romantic plots.
I look forward to seeing him too, by the way :D . Is he the first non english actor to take the role?

Non-English? Well, he's the 3rd Scot to take it, if that's what you mean.
Sylvester McCoy, David Tennant and Peter Capaldi. McCoy didn't bother to hide his Scottish accent when he took the part. Not sure why Tennant did.

Profile WWW YIM  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:53 pm 
Goblin
Goblin

I think Matt Smith is the first properly English Doctor we've had since Colin Baker.

My understanding was that Tennant didn't use his natural accent because RTD told not to. Apparently after Eccelston's Northern accent, he didn't them "touring the regions", which never made sense to me, since the Doctor could be anything, he should sound like anyone. And the Dick Van Dyke-ish accent Ten had always felt like a toupee that's blatantly obvious, but no one has the nerve to point it out.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:06 am 
Creator
Creator

srmcd1 wrote:
I think Matt Smith is the first properly English Doctor we've had since Colin Baker.

My understanding was that Tennant didn't use his natural accent because RTD told not to. Apparently after Eccelston's Northern accent, he didn't them "touring the regions", which never made sense to me, since the Doctor could be anything, he should sound like anyone. And the Dick Van Dyke-ish accent Ten had always felt like a toupee that's blatantly obvious, but no one has the nerve to point it out.

And how were Paul McGann and Chris Eccleston not "properly English"?

Profile WWW YIM  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:58 pm 
Puce Guardian
Puce Guardian

Hmm - never read this as I avidly avoided spoilers before the anniversary... interesting.

Tennant said, in an interview, that he always thought of the Doctor as a very English fellow, so that's why he went with the accent. I thought it was fine ... but then I never had a problem with any Doctor's accent.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 1:06 pm 
Orc
Orc

Re. Tennant's accent:

There was to be a line in A Christmas Invasion where 10 said that he had adopted Rose's accent as she was the one nearest to him when he regenerated. Thank god 6 did not do this when Peri was the only witness to his "birth". Also, complements to Tennant. I only realised he was Scottish when I watched Doctor Who Confidential. A very convincing accent to me.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:32 pm 
Puce Guardian
Puce Guardian

The Doctor's Son wrote:
Re. Tennant's accent:

Thank god 6 did not do this when Peri was the only witness to his "birth". .

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! :shock: :crackup:*runs from room in terror*

*ahem*
....sorry, there just wasn't an emoticon that was utterly horrified enough to express sentiment.needed.
I didn't think there was a way to make the 6th Doctor's televised role worse, but that strange attempt at an American accent would have done it.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 8:35 pm 
Orc
Orc

Well, to be fair to Colin Baker, he put up with a lot of JNT's nonsense, but I think think he would have had to refuse using Peri's accent.

Getting back to the topic of the 12th/13th/14th Doctor, if those final 30 seconds at Christmas are a good indicator, I can't wait. Although a new (or old) companion would be nice. :pray:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 5:01 am 
Enforcer
Enforcer

Clara is not bad but they should make her a character instead of a plot point.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:03 pm 
Orc
Orc

Morgana said:
Quote:
Clara is not bad but they should make her a character instead of a plot point.

I was in no way indicating Clara should go. I just think the Doctor and two companions is the perfect TARDIS team. 1-on-1, the relationship tends to become too intense. 3 or more and somebody has to have a relaxed episode with fewer lines (usually Nyssa). Also, I believe Jenna Coleman has put a lot of character into Clara. You just have to re-watch to notice because Matt Smith steals the show usually! Apart from Day Of The Doctor, where it was David Tennant. Oh, and that reminds me. If it wasn't for Clara, the three Doctors would have blown up Gallifrey. :oops:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:40 am 
Enforcer
Enforcer

Clara has been given a lot to do but... her brilliance it is a bit "tell" instead of "show". They keep telling us she is a genius, having her come up with great solutions, but the rest of her character, when she is not coming up with clever plans out of the blue, does not convey brilliance to me.
With Martha or Dona, i had no doubts when they pulled a genius rescue but Clara, much like the final season, looks cartooney to me. The actress is doing a fine job but the script does not support her. Just an opinion, of course.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:01 pm 
Puce Guardian
Puce Guardian

August 23rd approaches, and we have our 12th (13th and a half) Doctor arriving soon. He should be great fun - tho I admit looking forward to seeing him go Valyard if they can work it in.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:55 pm 
Puce Guardian
Puce Guardian

9 days to go. Not that I'm counting down .... out loud. :smart:

Profile WWW  

[ 14 posts ]