Rich Morris' Comics - YAFGC and The ComixBlog

Discussion forum for fans of YAFGC and Rich's ComixBlog. Because all the cool webcomics have one.

Jump to YAFGC / Jump to The ComixBlog

It is currently Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:28 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

[ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Sleep No More
PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 12:10 am 
Abbott
Abbott

In terms of sheer traumatizing creepiness, I daresay this episode is on par with Blink. Capaldi has been more miss than hit (his first season finale was the first time a new Doctor's first finale just made me yawn). However, this one is definitely a gem. Whomever is the next person that gets around to reading this forum, know that the aforementioned episode is a standout amongst an otherwise lackluster season.

Post subject: Re: Sleep No More
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 7:41 am 
Enforcer
Enforcer

I miss the small stories. Trains in space, lost caves, babies. This one tried to be a small story and I hope it keeps going like that.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:16 pm 
Orc
Orc

I must disagree with the first post. Peter Capaldi has been brilliant; I much prefer him to Matt Smith. So what if he's a bit grumpy, he's Scottish! And this series has been the strongest run of the 21st century. Not a single bad story so far.

As for this episode, I enjoyed it. Scary monsters, base under siege and lots of corridors. It could easily have been a Second Doctor story. Reece Sheersmith was suitably chilling too. All in all, 8/10. Although I never want to hear that fucking song ever again!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:35 am 
Creator
Creator

I've earned myself a reputation for being a curmudgeon about Doctor Who recently, but I've got to chime in and it won't be popular, methinks.

"Sleep No More" was aweful. The only chilling moment was at the end with the final broadcast.

It's not that the drama or the dialogue were particularly terrible. They were pretty standard for the Peter Capaldi era so far and thus, quite good. Better than it's been for a while.

BUT....

The premise was, once again, something my 4 yr old would have rolled his eyes at. I mean really, we sleep because our EYE BOOGERS might evolve? EYE BOOGER MONSTERS??? There are actual real world scientific reasons why depriving us or trying to cheat us of sleep might be a bad idea, but none of them involve getting eaten by eye boogers.

I know Doctor Who was never a show to refer to for hard science. But there's cheating science for a wacky adventure, and then there's writing really bad fairy tale shit.

While for the most part the show is a fun romp with a great character, there's a little too much deliberate not actually funny smirky things going on with the writing.

Aliens trying to take over the Earth hide out as humans, but they FART!

An alien eats people but they become faces on his tummy.

A girl kills people with an alien scribble.

The Daleks capture a bunch of planets but the Doctor saves them and uses the TARDIS like a towtruck to move the Earth LIGHT YEARS back into its place and ....NOTHING HAPPENS TO THE EARTH!

The moon is a dragon egg. And it hatches. And the new dragon lays another egg that's IDENTICAL TO THE ORIGINAL! and..... NOTHING HAPPENS TO THE EARTH!

The Master makes the Doctor grow really really really old... but he's saved when Martha tells everyone on the whooooooole planet to shout his name at the same time.

The Doctor can speak baby, because when we Human beings are born, up until the time we can actually speak, we're telepathic, philosophical, arrogant, sophisticated geniuses.

So are all animals.

And Dinosaurs. Except, of course, the ones living on an alien spaceship who were needed to be an actual threat.

Lady Vastra works as a hugely successful private investigator in Victorian England with her alien friend because nobody in Victorian England ever turned an eye or even noticed aliens. Also, Vastra is a reptile. Why does she have breasts?

Don't get me started on what they did to Queen Elizabeth I.

Profile WWW YIM  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:42 am 
Enforcer
Enforcer

I have to give it to the show though, that they handle it in a way that even ridiculous ideas create a beautiful story. It just doesn't always work. Some things can be easily explained with timey-wimey handwaving, it is OK in this particular show, but not everywhere.

[ 5 posts ]