Rich Morris' Comics - YAFGC and The ComixBlog

Discussion forum for fans of YAFGC and Rich's ComixBlog. Because all the cool webcomics have one.

Jump to YAFGC / Jump to The ComixBlog

It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:45 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

[ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

I would buy a YAFGC printed version...
Whenever, however, whatever way you want me 20%  20%  [ 11 ]
In the one-year collection size, at $25 35%  35%  [ 19 ]
In the one-year collection size, but not for $25 5%  5%  [ 3 ]
In the 200-strip collection size, for $15 7%  7%  [ 4 ]
In the 200-strip collection size, but not for $15 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
By storyline, for variable pricing depending on length 15%  15%  [ 8 ]
By storyline, but only if it's a storyline I liked 9%  9%  [ 5 ]
Never. I can read them online. 9%  9%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 55
 Post subject: Survey: YAFGC In Print
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 1:33 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Along with doing research for the Ten Doctors print versions, we've found a place that looks like it'll do nicely for some printed YAFGC collections. We'd like some input from you on the choices!

We'd do a whole year's worth of strips in one volume, most likely, to avoid chopping storylines in half, and that would come out to a trade paperback (6.85w X 10.25h) of about 200 pages. Our costs for a book this size, colour cover, black and white inside, would be $10.50, plus shipping, plus tax, plus order processing time and labour. So we'd have to sell them for about $20 - $25 minimum to make it worth the work. Typos would be corrected, some graphics redone, some extras added, etc.

On the other hand, if we did the book at 200 strips per volume it would make for a smaller, less pricy book (closer to $15), but you'd get the cutoff wherever the 200th/400th/600th strip happened to fall in a storyline, which is obnoxious. Dividing by storylines would be needlessly complex, I think, and would result in volumes of different sizes based on how long some storylines went.

What'd'you think, sirs?

Profile WWW  

Post subject: Re: Survey: YAFGC In Print
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 2:16 pm 
Orc
Orc

At first, I thought $25 seems pricey but then I remembered how many days there are in a year. It does sound like a good price to me.

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 4:34 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hahah - yeah, that's a good point. The year collections would be 365 strips + extras.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 9:36 pm 
Techgnome
Techgnome

I voted for a full year's worth of strips at $25. For that number of pages, plus extras, that price sounds right for a trade paperback.

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 3:24 am 
Fang vs. Fang
Fang vs. Fang

Imo $25 does seem a bit pricey... But then again, I'm not in a financial situation where I can seriously think about even donating more than $5. The good thing about free webcomic is, I don't have to expect quality or quantity.. I just take what's given and be happy (or unhappy) with that. Once money is involved, I really have to start thinking is it worth it, or should I save the money / spend it on something else.

-Self proclaimed #1 fan of divine Cap'n Fang.
-"I declare my dodge on this grass maggot!"

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 3:15 pm 
Enforcer
Enforcer

What would the payment method be for us no credit card people? I read the strip online but it would make the perfect gift for a lot of people i want to introduce to the comic but do not spend time online, especially 2nd edition afficionados.

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 4:39 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

We'd do it through PayPal - it's the simplest and safest way, and we already have an account set up. I could maybe do international money orders, but I'd have to talk to the bank about how to set it up to make sure that we don't end up paying more in cashing fees than we'd be getting back.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 1:10 am 
Enforcer
Enforcer

This is always a problem, especially if you add shipping fees. Probably PayPal will end up being the best solution.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 11:50 am 
Lich
Lich

I'd be into $20 for the yearly compilation, but only if NOT coloured. I love the pencils as they are.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 7:31 pm 
Enforcer
Enforcer

Oh, not colored is better!Now if you plan to sell in bookstores it would be a different matter.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 1:50 am 
Beholder
Beholder

I agree...Black and white is the way to go. Though it would be kewl to have a colored page or two, in the back, as a speacial. Like a character pic, a pin-up (both beef, and cheesecake, concidering the mix of readers), maps, beastiary, etc.

Profile YIM  

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 10:42 am 
Techgnome
Techgnome

Oh yeah, add me to the list of people who think the strips should remain as they are, in black and white pencils. However, any extras, like pin-ups, new back-up stories, etc., it would be nice to have things like that in color, including the cover, of course.

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 8:54 am 
Kobold
Kobold

I'd certianly be interested in buying the annual collection at the $20-$25 dollar price. sadly, i suspect the psotage to the UK will be more painful than the book price :crybaby:

David

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 9:15 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I did a quick calculation with the Canada Post website based on the PVP trade paperback, which would be about the same size, and got a shipping price of $7.80 (Can) to England, surface mail. So that's the absolute slowest option, and at current currency rates would be about 4 pound sterling, I think. Air mail would be $15.20.

For comparison's sake, I tested the shipping rates to California, the lower-48 state furthest away from us, and got a surface shipping price of $6.40, air mail $8.55. Any other in-US shipping should be cheaper, theoretically.

Oddly enough, shipping within Canada, to Vancouver (on the other side of the country) would be $9.94 at cheapest. Who understands Canada Post? Not me. I may check couriers to see if they'll give better in-country rates, but for cross-border anything we're better off with CanPost to avoid courier surcharges.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:05 pm 
Kobold
Kobold

hey, you set the price and I'll pay the dollar! I'm used to marvel ripping me off at every opportunity, so it'll be nice to have my money go to a worthy cause instead!

Profile YIM  

[ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next