So here's the sitch: we're going to be picking up a second hosting account with Dreamhost, and figured we may as well do the site redesign along with it that we've been contemplating on and off for a couple of years.
Things that will not be changing, or that we're not accepting notes on:
1) The forum. It will stay phpBB, and keep this look. Because I love it, that's why.
2) The colour scheme/background/etc of the site - we have a plan that we like for the components (site will be based somewhat on the forum skin), and we're not going to listen to things like "turn the background hot pink!" or whatever.
What I would love some suggestions on:
1) functionality of the site: what works for you, and what doesn't? Should the buttons be somewhere else? Are there accessibility issues we haven't considered?
2) Content: What links do you use, and which buttons have you never, ever tried? What's a waste of space and what is awesomesauce and must remain forever?
3) wish list: if we had a billion dollars to spend, a billion years to program, and the world's best webcoder in our back pocket, what would you want the site to do/have/use? How about a real-world variation we might have a chance at?
4) The content management system. We've been using iStrip because it's what was the top hit when I googled three years and 11,900 readers ago, but it's an unwieldy cache-eating beast now. I have Wordpress/Comicspress for the ComixBlog and I'm not fond of it. What else is out there that is NOT WordPress based?
This thread is a free for all - I want to hear what you have to say! I will not take offense at any well-considered commentary or constrictive criticism. On the other hand, "You suck and your site sucks" with no suggestions on how to fix it
(and that's the important thing) will get the response "suck my balls, kthxby." Just so we're clear.