Rich Morris' Comics - YAFGC and The ComixBlog

Discussion forum for fans of YAFGC and Rich's ComixBlog. Because all the cool webcomics have one.

Jump to YAFGC / Jump to The ComixBlog

It is currently Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:16 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

[ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 Post subject: Re: Your Favorite D&D (or other fantasy RPG) Characters
PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:33 pm 
Goblin
Goblin

Heh, coincidence, never played that game. Sorry though. I picked Veneficus because veneficae is latin for witchcraft, seemed appropriate.

Profile YIM  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:35 pm 
Kobold
Kobold

Apologies for bringing up a slightly dead post. But since i finally signed up, a bit of a post of a favorite. I'm an older d&d nut (from playing 1st edition as a kid onward.) But I have always been the warrior, not because of the numbers. (Though its fun to utter smack, cut, bash, and impale things with staggeringly high one and make the wizard look at you stunned you did that.) But that i liked answering why they chose this path, why have they become a dragonslayer, a mercenary, even ranger hatreds. Anywhom, the favorite character of mine, was a more unorthidox 3.5 knight, named Stralden Yanor, A phenician.

Stralden was big, about 7'4" almost 260ish pounds, very very massive bird. The phenicians, are an offshoot race of the firebirds. (what bored magi will do with enough power, And like gensai in abilities, though different) He was very odd among most folks, in that he cultivated the image of demonhood. And had a name for being of the honorable sort, and even cultured for men and women he dealt with for them under the impressions of being a demon. Like all knights should, he belonged to an order, The Knights of the Cleansing Axe. And he did, a cleaver of a greataxe in a single hand, full plate, gleaming mithril, and a shield that matched the glowing orbs of dark malevolence and a voice from the depths.

Well, part of the way into the campaign, there was a tournament, for all to contend. Needless to say, he joins on with sister, a priestess whom sees life worth saving, in all its forms. (And if your going to argue with someone who can choose to stitch you up instead of heal you, more power to you, he wasn't. not after she decided to get the mace) He joined, alongside a companion, whom, was utterly humiliated by one of the champions, a silver dragon (and then to be mocked by said dragon, which would come back to haunt it). The other he faced, and destroyed him in twelve seconds. A hushed crowd followed to them, a complete stranger in the land to do this. He walks off.

The second round comes, a few surprises, but most of the first and second going smoothly, until, it is stralden's turn to fight, and they offer to anyone willing to fight him, from first round or second, a chance in the final if they win, not one contestant steps forth, except his friend, humiliated from the first round. And who tries, his utter best to do something, and is not able to by any means of luck. Striking not to wound, he disables him, and then, takes off his helmet. And delivers a speech that would do a barbarian king proud. (As soon as i find it, ill post it) The crowd hushed, and more than a bit feared given the flames surrounding the knight, as he offers a hand to the downed man, and helps him off the field. The final round approaches..

Stralden, having cowed both competitor and crowd (The minor edit), and more than most of the challengers, has but one opponent in the finale of the tournament. The silver dragon that make the mockery of his friend. Knowing what the dragon did, and that this is a matter of honor, not good, not evil. He cheats. (this is what i love about lawful neutral, when are not about good and evil.) His friends honor was sullied, deliberately by this upscale hide of a carcass. And he was going to get it back. His sister, loads him up with enough magic to stop an army (This was ecl 14.) And he goes to town against this dragon, carving up both wings, and downing him in less than a minute, brutally fast. As the dragon sits there, he looks to the queen, and her champion he bested, and says only this "Give me one reason he should live."

But he was and always has been my favorite character for a game. Honor was everything, and he would go so far its in pursuit, that it was flaw and strength. A code of iron, unbreakable, unbendable, and why he was fun. The knights code, something beyond good and evil, but of chivalry, and kindness. Blood and iron bonds, forged in the heat of battle.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:57 pm 
Kobold
Kobold

(Found it finally.) "Enough of this!" he calls out, taking the helmet off, as he gazes angrily across the crowd, the pupiless orbs that are his eyes rake across the crowd "This man had the guts to fight a foe he could not best, to face a dragon with naught but skill and courage, and to face the fact of death with strength and conviction! You will treat him with respect, or so help me, i will gut and behead every one of you bleeding cowards. Not one of the challengers would face me, yet he did. I am proud to know this man, unlike you gutless, sniveling pukes of s***." with that, he kneels down to strife, and reaches to lift him up over his shoulder, taking him off the field.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:16 pm 
Goblin
Goblin

My favourite character, is actually one that I didn't get to use for long. My namesake, Blackguard. He was created for an evil character gestalt campaign the my nephew wanted to do.

He was the son of a noble family, who were secretly Dire Were-Bats. Quite vain, he only used his hybrid form in combat, staying in his humanoid form the rest of the time. He served a powerful sorceror, who sought to rule the world. Besides joining him in adventures, he also served two other functions for his master. 1, he was an ear, listening in to the gossip of royals. And 2, he was secretly in charge of the slave rings, kidnapping people in his hybrid form.

He surrounded himself with beautiful things. Quite often, he would take the most beautiful slaves for himself, indulging in his base desires with them. When they were broken, he would send them to his friend, an Illithid. The only intelligent conversationalist around. They would often share magical tomes and research

Unfortunately, it was eventually discovered who and what Blackguard was. With his tower surrounded by an angry mob, Blackguard took his own life with a silver dagger. He would rather die then waste away in some dungeon somewhere.

Centuries later, he and his allies were resurrected by their master, now a lich only known as the Overlord.

While he often partook of the sins of the flesh, Blackguard's love belonged only to Luna, goddess of the moon and lycanthropes. His main goal was to become either a demon or a god, so that he could claim his goddess of his own.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 5:17 am 
Enforcer
Enforcer

Did the campaign work out?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:33 pm 
Kobold
Kobold

Debun
Race: Gnoll
Class: Warrior
Debun is a young gnoll destined to lead the world to ruin on a set date when he was younger his entire clan was focused on teaching him demonic magic in hopes that it will hasten his destiny he learned little, but then he learned of his destiny he ran from his clan and swore off his demonic magic, the only reason that his clan isn't actively hunting the stray from their flock is because in his destiny it says he'll go through a time of exile weather or not he does ruin the world, still remains to be seen....

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:59 pm 
Demigod
Demigod

Gah!

Dude, format, please. I had to read that thrice to parse the sentence structure.

Then you are a bot and must be banned.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:38 am 
Lich
Lich

When thinking of my favorite characters, they are always part of a duo (where someone else runs the other character), and the sum is always greater than the parts. The following are quick descriptions of some of my favorite duos which ran in campaigns lasting more than one year...
  • Eutstace & Hanabi: A bookish, somewhat introverted half-orgre magi and his "familiar", a psionicist/theif pixie with a penchant for telekinetic explosions. Their favorite pass-time was figuring out (in game) unique ways to open the numerous locked doors the GM sent their way. Eustace would typically walk around with his nose in a book and Hanabi would whisper navigation warnings like some sort of "assistive animal". (AD&D 2nd)
  • "Rabbit" & "Squirrel": Red, a half-elven mage/acrobat with an obscene specialty in missile weapons and near permanent sunburn, and Arnold the holy warrior (ranger/cleric, with squirrels as animal companions). Both were members of the same "Gold's Gym" by virtue of possessing their racial maximums in strength, and Arnold spoke in a heavy, pondering Austrian accent while referring to all elves as "rabbits" because of their long ears and the fact that always faded into the shrubbery when trouble appeared. (AD&D 2nd)
  • A Boy & his "Demon": Mackie "the knife" Messer, a reformed street-thief urchin turned small Paladin (after he tried to pick the pocket of a senior arch-Paladin), and the "too vicious even for warhorse school" Clydesdale that everyone referred to as his "demon" -- both friend and foe alike (Fantasy Hero)

At the risk of a slight deviation from the original topic, does anyone else have any favorite "duos"?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:21 am 
Enforcer
Enforcer

I am going to answer in a new thread as you just gave me an idea...

http://yafgc.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1548

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:58 am 
Demigod
Demigod

The only two that spring to mind are Mahn and Vhise Leek (or, if you know your German, Manly and Womanly, which gives you an idea of the players), who were in one of the campaigns back in college. The players in question pretty much hated each other to the marrow, but often worked together fairly well in game. In this case, they were playing elven twins who were rangers. They characters got better together as the players got worse, and vice versa.

They ended up dieing together when we made the mistake of taking on a dragon a few levels too early. For the first time, Bob and Steph agreed on something--that it sucked.

Then you are a bot and must be banned.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:11 pm 
Orc
Orc

Character Name: Lothar
Orders: Magician
Race: Middle-Man (Beorning) Gender: Male
Hair: Brown Eyes: Brown
Date of Birth: Third Age 2964
Home: Village near the eaves of Mirkwood
Family: Son of Albrecht
Advancements: 1
Chronicle: Middle-Earth Campaign Setting

Racial Abilities: Adaptable (+1 Stamina, +1 Willpower), Dominion of Man, Skilled (+2 Survival)

Attributes
Bearing: 11 (+2)
Nimbleness: 8 (+1)*
Perception: 9 (+1)*
Strength: 7 (+0)
Vitality: 9 (+1)
Wits: 8 (+1)

Reactions
Stamina: +2
Swiftness: +1
Willpower: +4*
Wisdom: +2

Defence: 11
Health: 9
Courage: 4
Renown:

Order Abilities: Spell-casting (x2)
Edges: Armour of Heroes, Hardy, Woodcrafty
Flaws: Code of Honour

Skills (Tribal Magician)
Armed Combat: Blades (Long-knife) +1
Armed Combat: Pole-arms (Spear) +2
Healing (Herbal Remedies) +3
Insight +3
Intimidate +2
Language: Westron +4
Language: Northman (Beornish) +6
Language: Sindarin +1
Lore/Other: Orome the Great +3
Lore/Race (Men) +2
Lore/Realm (Rhovanion) +2
Lore/Spellcraft (Birds & Beasts) +6
Lore/Wilderness: Herbalism +4
Lore/Wilderness: Wild Beasts +3
Observe (Hear) +4
Persuade (Fast Talk) +2
Ranged Combat: Bows (Longbow) +1
Survival (Forests) +3
Track (Northern Orcs) +1
Weather-sense +2

Equipment: Pale Sea-Blue Robes (fine clothing), Woodsman garb (traveling clothing), Spear, Long-knife, Longbow, Quiver w/20 arrows, Travel rations (2 weeks), Pipe & pouch of tobacco, Skin of mead (common wine), blanket

Money: 2sp, 90cp

Spells: Animal Messenger, Beast Speech, Beast Summoning, Blessing of Oromë, Change of Hue, Counter-spell: Enslave Beast, Hide’s Virtue, Mastery of Shapes, Naming

Lothar is a magician I created for the short-lived Middle-Earth Campaign Setting run by Decipher for The Lord of the Rings RPG at conventions. I never actually got the chance to play him but he was able to get 1 full advancement because I ran 2 modules for Decipher at GenCon Indy back in '06. If you notice the Sea-blue robes, the fact he carries a spear and a longbow as well as his spell selection...yes, I based him on the ICE version of Alatar/Morinehtar, Servant of Oromë. That's one of the two Blue Wizards that came to Middle-Earth in the 2nd Age, along with the re-incarnate Glorifindel of Gondolin, to aid the peoples of Eastern and Southern Middle-Earth in resisting Sauron.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:05 pm 
Lich
Lich

Keolander wrote:
Character Name: Lothar

It is funny that you have a favorite character named "Lothar", as I have one named "Lothar (of the hill people)" as well that I sometimes used as a "visiting" character to other AD&D games. Lothar was a cross between a super-endowed "Viking's Viking" male and a motivational speaker (and not the Saturday Night Live character of the same name). Over the course of evening, he would give suggestions to the male characters on all sorts of ways to improve their "Manliness" (upgrading their manners, ways speaking, even their name), while still being unfailingly polite to the Female characters of the group (since females from his tribe were both religious leaders and the ones that chose the war leaders). His tag-line introduction (in a booming voice is) "I am Lothar, of the Hill People. Come, I will walk with you and show you the ways of MEN."

So, does anybody else have a favorite character named "Lothar"?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:09 pm 
Orc
Orc

Bunshichi wrote:
It is funny that you have a favorite character named "Lothar", as I have one named "Lothar (of the hill people)" as well

Yea, its probably one of those ubiquitous names in gaming. As I've gotten older I try and find historical names to use. I generally go for Anglo-Saxon, Gothic, Frankish and other Migration/Carolingian Era first names.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:19 am 
Enforcer
Enforcer

[/quote] So, does anybody else have a favorite character named "Lothar"?[/quote]

I had a villain named Lothar if it suits you. They messed up with his plans but never managed to catch him :-) .

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:50 pm 
Lich
Lich

Morgana wrote:
Quote:
So, does anybody else have a favorite character named "Lothar"?

I had a villain named Lothar if it suits you. They messed up with his plans but never managed to catch him :-) .

Of course Villains are fine... especially competent ones that are able be a constant thorn in the protagonists' collective side. :twisted:

[ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4