Rich Morris' Comics - YAFGC and The ComixBlog

Discussion forum for fans of YAFGC and Rich's ComixBlog. Because all the cool webcomics have one.

Jump to YAFGC / Jump to The ComixBlog

It is currently Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:37 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

[ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Harsh Characters in Harsh Settings ?
PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:50 am 
Enforcer
Enforcer

Good One! Hey, let us know what happens with your plans, i would love to know how the story turned out :-) .

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 12:55 pm 
Minotaur
Minotaur

Next game is Monday after all, it was a better date for some.

I will need to give a bit more info on the settings then :)

The major threat to humanity in Polaris is the "Sterility Virus". Nobody knows why only around 1/6 of the people are capable of having children. Even the children of fertile people will suffer this ratio, meaning that in theory each couple must produce around 12 children just for humanity to maintain its numbers. Which isn't happening and every year there is less people around than the last ...

There are several nations underwater and among them are the Hegemony and the Red League.

The Hegemony is a large, expansive, capitalistic nation with access to very high technology and with at its head a circle of very very old ruthless Patriarchs. They imprison fertile women in "Reproduction Centers" and use them as breeding cattle (fertile men just have to make regular "donations") and they do not hesitate to buy or kidnap fertile people in other nations. As a result, they are one of the only nations with a small population growth. After the last war which ended a few years ago, they have sent diplomat to repair their relations with other nations but ... let's say they are very very very suspicious. It is located in the east Atlantic.

The Red League was formed by an alliance of the smaller nations who suffered the Hegemony's attacks and banded together to resist. They have good relations with other powers and are now a mercantile state suffering from low tech but having a crafty and ressourceful military. Fertile people in the League have... a great life, are pampered and have access to the best of food and lodgings. Kids are honored and it is perhaps the only nation where you can see some playing freely in the station's corridors. It is located in the South Pacific.

A couple generations ago, the Hegemony captured for a few weeks the Red League's capital station, Nazca. During this time they deported all the fertile people back to Kerris, the Hegemony's capital. This condemned the Red League to disappear overtime simply because its population is now not nearly renewing enough. Unless a miracle happens, in twenty years the Red League will be mostly a husk inahbited by aging people and the Hegemony will have defeated its main opponent...

Back to the scenario !

The ruined station were in is Noroc a.k.a the "Red Pearl", it was the Red League's northern fortress and located near Hawaii. it had to be abandonned when the Polar Alliance, a nation allied with the Hegemony during the last war, sabotaged its main source of power, forcing its evacuation.

The submarine that the looters stolen is the "Anté" a Sleeper-class combat craft. Sleepers are crab-like crawling vessels which are very slow but stealthy and very well armed, perfect for ambushes.

The submarine that came to rescue the characters is the "Buzzkill", a Triam-class light cargo ship with dreadful electronics. Every system has a 25% chance of staying offline when activated. The good thing is that there isn't many systems that can fail since the Buzzkill has no armamement, no defensive devices and only the most rudimentary sonar.

The player characters face several problems:
- The King has two hostages: Josh, the Anté's mechanic and Rose, its second-in-command (and lover of its captain).
- They don't have a clue where the Anté is or where its going.

Considering the King, his men and the hostages, they calculate where it can go with its current food supply and determine it will have to stop in a station within a 7000 km radius. Thankfully in the mid-pacific there aren't that many stations within this radius.

Cerberea
(Around 3000km away)
a large station used as the headquarters of the Legion, the world's largest mercenary organisation and housing also several smaller group of guns-for-hire.

Magna
(Around 3000km away)
A military, energy-producing station serving as the Red League's new northern limit.

Angel
(Around 3000km away)
An independent small mining station, specialized in surface exploitation (the surface is now very very very dangerous, every aspect of the surface will kill an unprotected man)

Carion
(around 4000km away)
A very dark place... A secret research area experimenting and exploiting mutants. The PC who knew about it did not tell the others about it.

Neodes
(around 5000km away)
An independent medium-sized station exploiting the magma's rich mineral. Neodes has currently a problem with hostile creatues attacking its hardware and installations.

Trass
(around 5000km away)
A small independent station which the Hegemony has always accused of housing rebels and dissidents. After threats of annihilation, Trass petitioned the UWSO (UnderWater States Organisation) for protection. They sent a peacekeeper force but, since the Hegemony never attacked, they pulled back three years ago. Trass had to face trouble alone since.

Pendeven
(Around 7000km away)
Pendeven is a station of the Cult and mostly a refueling station for monastery ships (and a secret training area for their commandos).

Manag
(Around 7000km away)
Not to be mistaken with Magna, Manag is an independent medium-sized station. It is located near the Panama Canal (that has been widened A LOT) and thus between the Hegemony and the Red League. It makes a lot of money on import / export between the two nations.

The advantage that the Buzzkill have is that it has a good speed, it moves four times faster than the Anté so it guarantees that they will reach any of these stations before the looters.

(The evil teleporting guys couldn't teleport on the Anté because according to the rule while they have visited it, they don't know its current location. Not that they wanted to anyway, after all they go to great length to hide their powers from .. their friends and allies ?)

For this scenario, I knew of course where the bad guys were going but I had sidequests for all stations. Those sidequests would have gained them allies or gear that would have been useful when they caught up with the King and his men.

Personnaly I had thought they would go first to Cerberea to hire some help. I had several little merc groups with a list of prices and everything but I also had planned that they could get help from the Legion itself.

(One of the friendly NPCs they left on Noroc is my ex-PC and the Buzzkill belongs to him. He was an "archeologist smuggler" and bought and sold technological artefacts. In the past he sold some "lostech" healing tanks to the Legion and thus saved them a couple mercenaries over the years. They may not be close friends or allies but they have good relations.)

They decided to go first to Cerberea, not because they wanted to hire help but because they thought the King wanted to embrace the life of a mercernary ... or sell the Anté there ... or something.

(At this point most of the group still don't know about the teleporting powers of the priest and the cult agent so they couldn't guess that Cerberea would be the LAST PLACE the King would visit. After all he knows his enemies can teleport so he wouldn't go to the largest mercenary hub in the world where the priest could have hired instantly people to stop him. It is pure intra-group sabotage)

When they dock in Cerbera, a young military woman welcomes them and present herself as their liaison. She has recognized the Buzzkill and hopes it arrived to sell them more useful artifacts. When she sees them disembark, she asks where "Hotwire", "Glow" and "Grin" are.

(My ex-pc's associates were a cyborg technician and a young mutant pilot with unnaturally white skin... and my PC's has a black smoked diving helmet with a shark smile painted on it. The players have met them all several times but never heard their nicknames)

They are confused and confusedly blabber something about having had dealings with them. The liaison look a little disappointed but invite them in her office nonetheless and ask what they are doing on Cerberea. She still hopes they have interesting things to sell or at least come to offer a job for the Legion.

They say they are a new mercenary group and came to Cerberea to get contracts. The Legion deals usually with station or nation-wide problems and leaves the crumbs to various parasite mercernary groups who rent a place in the lower levels of Cerberea. "One more" she thinks, asks for their qualification, gear, etc and inform them of the rent rates before announcing that appropriate offers will be forwarded to them. I do not remember exactly why but the combat cyborg soldier of the group started to ask some questions, became rude and agressive when he did not get the answer he wanted and their conversation with her ended on a cold "Now get the f*** out of my office."

(Had they be nice, truthful or both, she would have told them that ,while they cannot get the Legion to help for free, being friends of "Grin" got them a nice reduction and if they did a small quick delivery to Neodes for them, they would pay them with consequent "store credit". The Neodes' subquest was that they would have had the occasion to help a Legion frigate attacked by two krakens. It was risky and they could ignore the distress call but had they done these two things, the mercenaries' gratitude would have gotten them a nice, big impressive, free help and even contacts for later.. Oh well ;))

They know it will take a week for the Anté to reach Cerberea (if it was on its way there, which it is not) and so they spend a week trying to make contacts. In Cerberea, mercenary hub of the world, you can get anything and everything with money ... but they are very tight pursed so it doesn't go very well. However they finally bribe a few people and establish an ambush plan for when the Anté docks.

Seven days nothing ... eight days nothing ... nine days still nothing.... they start thinking perhaps eventually the Anté was not coming here ... and this is when the Anté's captain decide to reveal a tidbit of information: The King doesn't have two hostages, he has three.

Josh, Rose and ... Rose's 10 year old son.

Big revelation ! Rose is a fertile woman and thus she is now a prize equalling or even surpassing the Anté's worth to the right bidder. If the son isn't affected by the Sterility Virus as well then yes, the real prize was never the ship.

(For the sake of secrecy Rose kept her son on the ship at all time. that meant the kid lived all his life on a ship the size of a two room appartment where 6 people lived (NPC crew)... and was kept in his small cabin when people from the outside came, sometimes for week at a time when the Anté was carrying the group somewhere. She is an awful mother ;))

They think about where one would sell a fertile woman, her son and a metal crab with torpedoes and they think they might have headed to Manag at the edge of the Hegemony. On the way, as they have time, they stop briefly at Angel and Trass, just to see if there is an Anté docked there.

... and at Trass while there is no Anté docked when they arrive, one emerges as they prepare to leave ! It walks on the platform and from the ventral airlock of the Anté comes out ...

(I had two solutions prepared depending if they had time or not (both in and out of game). If they had time left, a Trass officer would have came out of the Anté, cheered by his men at their new acquisition. Indeed, the King knew that the Trass authorities who are terrified by the Hegemony's constant threats and not protected anymore by peacekeepers, would have gladly bought the Anté from him without asking questions. He would simply have asked for a normal submarine with good speed and which isn't so easily recognizable. It would have taken negotiations, money and /or theft to get it back. But, as the players did not have much time left ...)

... a group of panicked Red League merchants, claiming their ship had been hijacked by pirates and their cargo stolen not far from here. The PCs have the Anté back ... but not the hostages and worse, the merchants' ship is fast and thus it could already be at Manag. They keep the Buzzkill and rush to Manag with one of the merchants.

They arrive to the great merchant nexus that is Manag quickly but the station is too large to find the ship without help. The Anté's captain is also a council member of a small station (the PCs' headquarter) which is allied with the Red League and he goes straight to the Red League's ambassador and ask for his help. Manag is neutral but strives for good relations with its powerful neighbours and thus the chief of security quickly arrives in the ambassador's office. The PC explain the hostage and tell which ship they are looking for. They are told that the ship in question has arrived yesterday and is still at Dock 6 ...

... and it was the end of the session. Next session in two days :) I have some dastardly plans made and the King and his people will not be beaten easily.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:31 am 
Minotaur
Minotaur

The Short version :

They caught up with the bad guys, disregarding the fact they had been here 18 hours (and hence were perfectly prepared)

They handled the hostage negociation disastrously (as I had anticipated):

1) the bad guys asked for the smallest of things to begin and the PCs refused, the bad guys insisted, they refused again...
2) the bad guys reminded the PCs that they could blow the head off one hostage and still have two to negotiate, the PCs started spouting threats ...
3) the bad guys said "screw this", triggered their trap and combat began

The PC were lucky, won and the hostages were rescued...

On the way back they picked up the NPCs at the ruined station and ... things were discussed. The scenario ended with two PCs going secretely to a Cult station in order to verify the background of the priest and report his actions. The rest will make sure he is watched meanwhile ...

So it was a success : )

If you liked the last "long version" of a session report, I will galdy type it !

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:42 pm 
Enforcer
Enforcer

How did the players handle it? Where they Ok with what happened?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:55 pm 
Minotaur
Minotaur

In a few words : yes, the "good guys" are merely keeping a close eye on the priest and his assistant for now. Nothing too restrictive but as they now know what powers the duo has, they won't be left in the dark so easily too.

(If I were to give some D&D alignments to the characters I would have 1 Lawful Good, 1 Neutral Good, 2 Lawful Neutral, 1 Chaotic Neutral, 2 Neutral Evil)

When three of the other characters confronted the duo about the genocide, the priest placed the blame squarely on his assistant. Officially she took the initiative and killed them all.

Loyal little thing that she is, she is playing the "sociopathic overprotective bodyguard" angle for her defense, "preemptive strike", "collateral damage" and all that.

It was quite well done on their part because the "Neutrals" do not care / do not want to mess with her and are generally glad there is doubt about the evilness of the priest ... and the "Goods" find themselves with few allies.

But ... I think the evil ones' players kinda learned their lesson and will curb on their own the murderous, cleptomaniac, sadistic tendencies of their characters.

While I put D&D alignments on their behaviour earlier, they do not actually have one that forces them to play them like that so ... yes I imagine I won't run into that kind of problem anymore ...

... for this campaign at least : )

[ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2