Rich Morris' Comics - YAFGC and The ComixBlog

Discussion forum for fans of YAFGC and Rich's ComixBlog. Because all the cool webcomics have one.

Jump to YAFGC / Jump to The ComixBlog

It is currently Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:16 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

[ 14 posts ] 
 Post subject: PS 2 Titles
PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:26 pm 
Enforcer
Enforcer

A friend just brought his PS2 over, and i am looking for some games that are good for 2 players (versus or cooperative). I already have Champions of Norrath in my wish list. Would you suggest some other games for fantasy/gothic/horror freaks like us :D ?
Thanks in advance!

Post subject: Re: PS 2 Titles
PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:17 pm 
Puce Guardian
Puce Guardian

*only posting this bcs I have a tardis icon to make a quick getaway*

Have you tried the lego games? The Star Wars (all 6 movies in one game) is hysterically funny.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:18 pm 
Enforcer
Enforcer

Is it? I am not a sci-fi fun, but if it is good for two players...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:11 pm 
Puce Guardian
Puce Guardian

It actually needs two players, if you only have one, it give you a bot sidekick for the other character.

It's not difficult, but it's sometimes hysterical.

The real fun is when you beat the game and go into free play. You can be just about anyone and anything, from a little wombat like creature to the Emperor, storm trooper, Boba Fett, or a mad bomber. Characters (esp 3PO) regularly lose body parts with a lego like pop, and grow them back after death. It's pure silly fun, and you use your imagination to make it better. (You can also put the pieces together anyway you like, 3PO head on Darth Vader, Princess Leah metal bikini on Qui Gon Jin, etc.)
Till you've played an Emperor and mad bomber loose in a Jawa caravan, or the Death Star, you haven't really played it. :) But you can get a taste of it, starting impromptu wars wandering around the Catina outer grounds.

Lots of Lego jokes and silly humor, I've played with kids of all ages and have fun with it myself. Just picked up Lego Batman and haven't decided if I'm going to ship if off to my young nephew or keep it. (Depends on whether he has a PS2, I suppose.) There's also Lego Indiana Jones, Harry Potter, etc. But the 6 movie Star Wars one hasn't stopped entertaining anyone yet.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:08 am 
Enforcer
Enforcer

Thanks Maureen! I will rent it from the video club and buy it if i like it :-) .

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:32 am 
Lich
Lich

Pretty much all of the Lego games (Batman, Star Wars, Indiana Jones, etc.) are a lot of fun. I drew the line at Lego Rock Band though...

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:53 pm 
Puce Guardian
Puce Guardian

Thought of this thread when I was in Target yesterday and found they has new Lego Star Wars Game - Star Wars III The Clone Wars, based on the cartoon. Fortunately for my wallet they were out of Playstation versions, and I suspect they are only made play on Playstation 3. (Plus if there are other Clone Wars Lego games I'd like to wait till all are in one set)

My nephew didn't have Playstation 2, so I broke it open for when my little niece came over. She loves it, esp Robin. She's not really that familiar with Batman and Robin (more of Superman kind of gal) but loves the story and has even given up Scooby Doo (another new find for her this year, along with Roadrunner) one time to watch Young Justice. She enjoys the background as much as the game, and keeps asking questions. ("Why does he have make that face *imitates Lego Batman grimace* when he wins? Why doesn't he smile like Robin does?")

I got the codes online to play as Batgirl and Nightwing which she loves as well. I find it pretty fun too, as she giggles along, but I'm definitely under the Auntie influence. It has a good reputation online to back us up tho.

She's looking forward to playing Poison Ivy and playing parts of the game that are only available to characters that can wander into toxic waste unharmed. (After you beat a storyline, you can play it from the villains angle.)

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:38 am 
Goblin
Goblin

I just checked and Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance series (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baldur%27s ... ce_(series)) is available for PS2 as well.
I used to play part one and part two on the Xbox a few years ago and as far as I remember the co-op mode was pretty good as well.

The series seems to be the unofficial "prequel" to "Champions of Norrath".

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:40 am 
Enforcer
Enforcer

Yes, they were pretty good. But we had to stop playing and laugh for five minutes straight when a bat dropped a halberd when it died and we kept guessing when it was hidden during the battle :D .

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:12 am 
Goblin
Goblin

Didn't you know that password encrypted portable holes are standard equipment for oponents in such games?
And for sure there are two behaviour types around those monsters.

Type 1:
Mainly non-humanoids that do not actively use equipment like halberds.
Just before their dying moment they try to bribe you with some loot they got from former adventurers. So you would not kill them.
Nevertheless you smite them and they have no more time to put the item pack into their p.e.p.h. .

Type 2:
Humanoids _with_ used equipment.
Rumors sometimes say they tend to eat all their shiny plate armor and other interesting stuff and just tend to be to full for the remaining "broken longsword" or "tattered loin cloth" and a few copper pieces.
I'm pretty sure they all have a special feat like "extended but very secret death scene" which they use to put everything of value and interesting into their p.e.p.h..
When their not fast enough you can sometimes loot a good item and in a few cases the real fast ones can even tease you with sentences like "ha ha, everything locked away, you dump random adventurer *cough* *die*".

You see? Everything pretty easy to explain. ;)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:40 pm 
Enforcer
Enforcer

Oooh, that fixes it. I am going to feed the same story to my gaming troupe and if they complain, i will point them to this thread :D .

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:13 pm 
Costello
Costello

breedingpit wrote:
Didn't you know that password encrypted portable holes are standard equipment for oponents in such games?

That's awesome!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:31 pm 
Minotaur
Minotaur

Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas has a 2-player mode though you can't do much with it aside from create mayhem. We used to have fun with it though, especially two of us on a motorcycle, both shooting at everything in sight.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:11 am 
Kobold
Kobold

Since the PS2 library is so immense and filled with so many wonderful titles (and also has had a lot of exposure over the years), I wanted to get more particular about which games I include in this Hidden Gems feature. If I were to have compiled this a year or two ago, you would have seen a number of titles that have since gained popularity and edged into mainstream. The games I’m thinking of include Katamari Damacy, Shadow of the Colossus, the Viewtiful Joe Series, Disgea, Okami, Odin Sphere, Guilty Gear, Beyond Good & Evil, and Rez. So when you notice I don’t list these games below, you’ll know why. Instead I hope you find a number of games that you haven’t heard of (or at least not much) that catch your eye and eventually provide you with hours of enjoyment..

A special thanks to those the contributed their game summaries: BulletMagnet, NebachadnezzaR, bonegolem, roushimsx, Perseid, executioner, and everyone else in the forum that pitched in with ideas! If you have more games to share, please use the comments section below and I’m terribly sorry if we overlooked your personal favorite!

[ 14 posts ]