Rich Morris' Comics - YAFGC and The ComixBlog

Discussion forum for fans of YAFGC and Rich's ComixBlog. Because all the cool webcomics have one.

Jump to YAFGC / Jump to The ComixBlog

It is currently Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:16 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

[ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: looting corpses
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:39 pm 
Goblin
Goblin

When my player kills an enemy, should I let them have everything that the corpse had? Or should I claim some broke when they fell, or were damaged during combat?

Post subject: Re: looting corpses
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:28 pm 
Creator
Creator

Blackguard wrote:
When my player kills an enemy, should I let them have everything that the corpse had? Or should I claim some broke when they fell, or were damaged during combat?

It all depends on the desire for realism or detail that you and your players want.

One way to handle this situation is to roll to determine how much of his stuff survive and which pieces did specifically.

There are charts I've seen in Dragon Magazine that determine what Orcish treasure would be found (one man's treasure is another man's garbage!, an Orc's purse might be filled with bits of old cheese or a dead mouse).

You could go the extra mile and settle each account on a case-by-case scenario (This man fell off a tower, I'd say there's a 60% chance that 50% of his posessions broke in the fall and are worthless.) and your players MAY praise your attention to detail.

Or, if they don't care that much, you could wait until they say that they loot the bodies and just roll a d6. "You find [rattle] 2 GP worth of stuff." and then they can move on and not worry about it.

Then again, you can also use it as a launching point for a lengthy discussion about whether 'looting the bodies' is taboo in their culture. After all, many people consider it a really disrespectful, trashy thing to do!
Even if he was an enemy, he may have had a large family who would want him buried with his magic sword in the family tomb!

If you're going this route, try offering MORE experience points for resisting the urge to loot the corpse.

Profile WWW YIM  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:31 am 
Puce Guardian
Puce Guardian

Case in point - My first D&D game, we had a priest with us who told us that everyone needed to be buried with weapons and spells, etc, bcs they'd need them in the afterlife. Of course the GM/DM liked to run his games low scale - everyone starts out at level one, and few characters survive first level - so he may have had heavy influence on his girlfriend's priest <g>

Basically it meant no looting - at least not from fellow players corpses.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:08 am 
Techgnome
Techgnome

Blackguard wrote:

A lot of factors in this as pointed out.

Combat Factors

* If the PC is toting a fusion gun/fireball/etc, the best he could loot is a small pile of ash.
* How fragile is the stuff he was carrying. Bashing someone with a mace is likely to make a mess of the potion bottles they are carrying.
* People tend to leak when poked with pointy objects. That 10000gp erime cloak is worth a lot less now that it is blood stained.
* Bad guys are going to use one shot items - Mr Orc is going to drink that potion/use that magic wand in the fight.

Looting factors
* How much can be carried? A PC becomes very good as quickly assessing loot. Appraisal skill to quickly identify the most valuable stuff, detect magic to identify the magic stuff (magic items dont have a neon sign say Hi, I'm magic).
* High value, low encumberance is vastly better than moderate value high encumberance (20 x5gp rings is worth the same and fits in a pouch opposed to a 100gp, 50 pound suit of chainmail).
* Disease - hmm, who wants to get the 5000gp diamond from the ogyth's dung pile...any takers?
* Potions - they usually dont have nice labels.
* When the PC's are carefully looting, they aint watching for the second wave...
* When your eyes are bigger..... - sure They can haul the 20 suits of platemail they looted away until at least they have to start running or swiming away from the deceased's friends.
*Size matters - how are you going to use a giant's sword? Chain mail for a goblin? Plate armour constructed for the opposite gender?

Social factors
* Know your market. The PC's want to sell that stuff, but it is pretty unlikely that The kingdom of Happy People will have a big market for 'Evil Holy Symbols of Doom'.
* Prior owners - killed a member of the Evil Knights? His friends may come looking for him and discover a shop with their orders plate mail. They will find out real fast who sold it.
* Economies - the village of Podunk may have an entire economy of 300gp. How are you going to sell it? Maybe the local merchants get a little upset when someone sells 50 suits of chain mail thus undercutting their market. And then of course taxes....

Let them loot to their hearts content, with some common sense (Fireballing in a library of spellbooks wont leave much loot). But then take the loot and turn it into an adventure

"It's 100 miles to the city. We have a full wagon load of crap, the bad guys are on our tail, it's dark, and we have no infravision. Hit it!"

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:56 am 
Enforcer
Enforcer

I would suggest checking out what your PCs want.
Depending on their background (other DMs, PC games), maybe they consider everything on a fallen enemy as rightfuly theirs. If this is ok with you, let it happen. If you think the setting culture does not justify this, explain it to them calmly and make sure they will have an alternative source of income (found treasure, rewards etc).

Now, if looting a corpse is fine in this setting or if thePC do not care, i would go against the rest of the forum and suggest that you do not bog the story down with too many rolls for every item and too many discussions of what a fireball would burn. It will make the aftermath of every battle too tedious. I like the idea of rolling and then saying ''you find X gp worth of loot'', it is fast, but it could be too mechanistic.

As for combat damage, i tend to think that magic fire (or acid or whatever else) does not burn materials like cloth or wood, otherwise every time it hits the players would have to buy new clothes, loose their hair and every book and map they own, which does not happen of course. I am taking it then that magical energy only hurts flesh.

But as for mundane damage, it would get too tiring to discuss after each battle what got hit and what survived. Swords and armor are made to last in combat. Unless someone was holding a crystalline figure and got hit by a blast or fell, i would suggest keeping things simple and allowing them to loot. Keep in mind though that clothes cost mere copper pieces, and most people do not keep hundreds of gold pieces in their purses.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:48 am 
Minotaur
Minotaur

As a GM, I always noted everything that npcs and monsters carried, though many didn't carry cash into certain situations (bandits attacking a group on the road, for instance). Other creatures carried all of their worldly possessions with them - though as those above have noted, cause of death could mean certain things were destroyed. To amend my own note above as well, if the bandits didn't carry all of their gear and cash, it was usually hidden somewhere nearby (a camp or lair, usually).

As a player, I never looted the bodies, though I didn't object to other players doing so. It never felt heroic. It always felt kind of scummy to me, personally.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 4:10 pm 
Costello
Costello

The one thing that I rarely allow player characters to scavenge after a battle is usable armor.

"Why can't I just take this guy's plate armor and wear it now?!"

"Um, I dunno, because you just battle-axed him to death while he was wearing it?"

Sometimes, I have other, relatively fragile, objects not survive a combat as well, but PCs almost never get useful armor without a trip to town to have it cleaned and reworked.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:48 am 
Kobold
Kobold

my opinion on this changes based on my random thoughts at the time. monsters dont carry much gold but wild beasts might produce some provisions. stuff using weapons tend to have weapons. they might find something that "looks like a healing potion" please note i never say it is one unless an alchemist checks it out. once it was a healing potion laced with slow acting poison. that was a fun addition.

i even made a deck of random things that when one of the items that have only one it in the deck is taken i change it. however the pocket lint and dust *30 cards out of 100 each* stay in each time. and only one item in the 100 has a dice roll chance for anything really worthwhile. it is fun to see if they find a use for a bag of marbles, empty lockbox, fake diamond ring, etc etc.

[ 8 posts ]