Rich Morris' Comics - YAFGC and The ComixBlog

Discussion forum for fans of YAFGC and Rich's ComixBlog. Because all the cool webcomics have one.

Jump to YAFGC / Jump to The ComixBlog

It is currently Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:35 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

[ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Would you like to meet Sushulana?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:49 pm 
Lich
Lich

This is turning out to be one of the most challenging discussions I have had in a long time.
Thank you.

Beholder King wrote:
Yeah, they're just women after all. What do they know? Did you guys play this stuff out or is this backstory all just something you wrote up during character creation?

In defense of those women, there was also that whole Chaotic Evil thing going at the time. Tends to put a damper on the whole sisterhood thing.
((well damn... that was pretty flippant, even by my standards. IMHO, women are generally better people than men. What makes me say something like that? Well, it can come down to one word; Gossip. They talk about people, not things, avidly. That is where their interest and their hearts are. They don't forget dates that have personal significance. They often at least try to pay attention to what their men are talking about even it is of no interest to them, because they care about who is saying it. Yeah, okay, that was kinda radical, but I believe it.))

That background was partly written, partly evolved.
You see, way back when I was first getting into RP, I rolled up a slew of ten Chars. I had some good ones, too, even one that qualified as Ranger.
And then there was this one, the worst of the lot;
Str 11, Dex. 14, Con 10, Int 16, Wis 13, Char 17.
Old school, you had to take the stats in the order you rolled them.

The worst of the lot, in terms of numbers, so what do you do with that little mess?
Go dual-class and hope for the best, and give her some quirks, just to make it interesting. Humble as it sounds, that was really all there was too it in the beginning. Didn't even give much thought to the backstory, just a more urban and cut-throat elf than most.
And then, the She started taking on a life of her own.
After 2 years of intensive RP Sushulana was the only one of the ten still playable, the rest being dead, lost in the void or what-have-you.

It wasn't just that she was harder to kill than a nest of cockroaches, DMs and palyers alike became curious about the secretive Elf that was by turns wistful, murderous or frisky. The backstory came about by my own efforts, and the evolution was a combined effort.

And as I said, its never a completed journey.

I have been holding back in the RP thread, but something is about to happen there that will reveal the darkness, just a little. Mayhap that will make her more believable, but that ain't why its going to happen.

Beholder King wrote:
How about the fact that in D&D, Elves don't sleep. In the 2nd Ed. rules, anyway, Elves slip into a sort of dreamlike torpor when they're resting that isn't sleep. They're awake and aware the whole time. They can go without it entirely if they need to.

Oh, I just calculated the numbers real quick to give a sense of scale to so many years passing by.
Interesting notes about Elvish "sleep", but doesn't it come down to the same thing in terms of limiting the Charecters?

Beholder King wrote:
With all that in mind, I would imagine that the Elves are psychologically predisposed to not get so bored with things. They can contemplate ideas and feelings over years and years rather than like us who are far more sensualistic and demand immediate gratification.

One that had so many formative years shaped by humans would have a somewhat different take on it, perhaps. This could have a detrimental effect on one's longevity, unless that Elf was making the effort to re-connect, re-learn all of that... or simply remember it as the way things ought to be.

Beholder King wrote:
The High Elves in Elwood in YAFGC and the RP setting are a special bunch who are trying to marry the Human way of life with the natural Elvish one. So they exist in a sort of half-way lifestyle between the two. This would be where Elf PCs come from as they can understand the Humans best of the Elvish subraces. But even that takes effort.

Fascinating. I didn't know about that.
Sushulana could be invaluable in that, if given the chance.
Reaching out to one such as she may not be easy, but if the effort is sincere Sushulana won't rest until that effort has been rewarded ten-fold.

Beholder King wrote:
I don't know, you're writing the story, you tell me.

Onward then. :biggrin:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:37 pm 
Lich
Lich

Beholder King wrote:

With all that in mind, I would imagine that the Elves are psychologically predisposed to not get so bored with things. They can contemplate ideas and feelings over years and years rather than like us who are far more sensualistic and demand immediate gratification.

I picture the Elves as pitying us hasty beings, not taking the time needed to REALLY appreciate a forest view which requires at least a month or six to drink in. They would tell us to calm down and watch and entire year of seasons before moving on to enjoy the whole spectrum of what nature has to offer... and an Elf might stick around to see the differences in a few years.

Hm. The ent theory of elvish psychology. (I assume that "hasty" is a conscious reference.)

With D&D elves being chaotic, I tend to not think of them as being so focused in that way. Instead I think of them as having lots of ideas on the go which they expect to get round to completing eventually. With eventually being very long term. If I had got round to running a DnD 3.x campaign, I would have been tempted to changing their multi-class rules to losing experience unless they added new classes at a certain rate. Short-lived humans might have to hurry to have high level magic, but elves don't care if it takes a few centuries before they get their most powerful spells.

Quote:
The High Elves in Elwood in YAFGC and the RP setting are a special bunch who are trying to marry the Human way of life with the natural Elvish one. So they exist in a sort of half-way lifestyle between the two. This would be where Elf PCs come from as they can understand the Humans best of the Elvish subraces. But even that takes effort.

Keldorn is a character who was generated before Unearthed Arcana etc. came out and so some of this distinct subrace characterisation didn't exist at the time. Sushalana sounds as if she is from that period or before if characteristics were rolled in order. A character played that long can acquire pre-history that wasn't originally intended.

Nb I'm avoiding getting involved in the main thread of discussion here as I don't want it to influence what might happen in the RP thread. However, I do want to point out that some people (in this case largely women) keep coming back for more of the booby-trapped apples. If all they have experienced are dysfunctional relationships, people can think of them as normal and get into a pattern of repeating them and having a succession of abusive partners.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 2:41 pm 
Lich
Lich

keldorn wrote:
Keldorn is a character who was generated before Unearthed Arcana etc. came out and so some of this distinct subrace characterisation didn't exist at the time. Sushalana sounds as if she is from that period or before if characteristics were rolled in order. A character played that long can acquire pre-history that wasn't originally intended.

Actually, the gaming history of the Char is much more interesting, this one has been so far outside the box that there just ain't no going back.
Funny thing, relations that start badly for this one often become lasting and positive, while those that start well rarely last ... but there have been exceptions.

I started wrong here, the usual thing is to let a few hundred sessions go by, and the "wtf, she did that?" build up until the backstory has to be revealed. The looks I get when they find out Sushulana has been behaving consistently all along can be priceless.

But, I did it backwards here, wanted to get right into the discussion of Elven psychology, and instead I let it bog down like this--

keldorn wrote:
Nb I'm avoiding getting involved in the main thread of discussion... people can think of them as normal and get into a pattern of repeating them and having a succession of abusive partners.

Yup, that's a horrifying trend that shows up with depressing regularity. But lets not get into RL issues or anything personal here.

The point was made that it seems "misogynistic" that Sushulana would ever approach anything with male parts with anything but fear and hate after what happened to her, regardless of how many centuries passed. However it is also mentioned that Elven minds don't work like Human ones do.... but if we take that too far, a discussion of their mentality becomes theoretically impossible for us Humans.

Heh, somebody pass me the Philosopher's Stone before I go drifting off into existential-land.

So, with Sushulana, when she was evil, she would take advantage of the way the male dumb-stick would lead them into serious trouble. Worse trouble became possible after the transformation to Good. In order to be Good, one must have a conscience, and when people were able to convince her that Sushulana had done something that was bad, there was a tendency to seek out exactly the sort of thing that Keldorn mentions above.
It was a form of atonement, to her damaged but slowly haling mind.
That came to an end with her first marriage, but while it lasted it was an interesting way to get a hint of the alignment of the players that were around, by seeing who would try to talk her down from that, and who would take advantage of the situation.
That was also the point where having female friends became important to the Charecter.

How would other Elves deal with a creature like Sushulana?
Back to the RP, and lets find out.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 3:54 pm 
Lich
Lich

Huh... just re-read what I was typing here.

Morgana, would you mid just deleting this whole thing, I really went around the bend.

[ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2