Rich Morris' Comics - YAFGC and The ComixBlog

Discussion forum for fans of YAFGC and Rich's ComixBlog. Because all the cool webcomics have one.

Jump to YAFGC / Jump to The ComixBlog

It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:20 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

[ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: In the Market - Elwood City
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:45 pm 
Creator
Creator

While Meegs listened to Keldorn and nodded appropriately along -even fingering the collar of her dress when he did his demonstration- it was clear that Kirin had won her over. Though it was impossible to tell through her thick reflective specticles, she kept stealing glances up into his eyes and looking back to Keldorn, a blush on her cheeks adding uncharacteristic colour to her complexion.

She lead them through the streets toward the wine vendor who was a white long haired Elf -ageless and unlined face, dressed in casual green with an apron bearing his shop's logo, a slender hand delicately holding a stemmed cup.

He greeted them with a pleasant smile and handed out a couple of metal goblets.
"Would you like to try our newest red?" he asked, his voice soft and melodic.

Profile WWW YIM  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:10 pm 
Lich
Lich

keldorn wrote:
"And obviously the more magic items you have, the more restricted your appearance will be unless you are somewhere completely safe. Unless you're able to tailor something into them so that they change to suit what is fashionable or what catches your eye."

"Well, I agree , somewhat, that magical items can be restricting to the wearer, but you also use magic to change your appearance. This seems to include how your clothes are tailored. Now that, my friend, is not something I would care for. Have you ever encountered an anti-magical zone or effect that was powerful enough to undo magical alterations? Seems to me that it would be dreadfully embarrassing to be caught in a mystical battle with your trousers halfway down to your knees."
He winks.
"However, in all other situations, it would appear to be very useful. Social commitments can be as much of a battle as anything else, yes?"

Beholder King wrote:

With a quick glance at Megs, he smiles and says "It appears that we would!"

He steps right up and takes both cups, and does an about-face, holding one cup out to Keldron, and one to Megs. When they take them, the hand that held the cup for Keldorn drops to his side, and the other one stays up and out.
His intention is, once Megs has had a taste, he will take a drink from the same cup.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 6:33 pm 
Beholder
Beholder

Phaing wrote:
keldorn wrote:
"And obviously the more magic items you have, the more restricted your appearance will be unless you are somewhere completely safe. Unless you're able to tailor something into them so that they change to suit what is fashionable or what catches your eye."

"Well, I agree , somewhat, that magical items can be restricting to the wearer, but you also use magic to change your appearance. This seems to include how your clothes are tailored. Now that, my friend, is not something I would care for. Have you ever encountered an anti-magical zone or effect that was powerful enough to undo magical alterations? Seems to me that it would be dreadfully embarrassing to be caught in a mystical battle with your trousers halfway down to your knees."
He winks.
"However, in all other situations, it would appear to be very useful. Social commitments can be as much of a battle as anything else, yes?"

Keldorn scowls at the suggestion that there might have been a battle for the attention of the obviously vapid female wizard who appears to have fallen for the real pompous looking noble.
Quote:
Beholder King wrote:

He steps right up and takes both cups, and does an about-face, holding one cup out to Keldron, and one to Megs. When they take them, the hand that held the cup for Keldorn drops to his side, and the other one stays up and out.
His intention is, once Megs has had a taste, he will take a drink from the same cup.

Keldorn accepts the proffered cup while thinking of words to describe Kirin: arrogant; irritating; really obnoxious and looks around for someone else to converse with.

Ooc: I felt that 2921 needed acknowledging in some form.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 1:42 pm 
Creator
Creator

Phaing wrote:

Keldorn wrote:
Keldorn accepts the proffered cup while thinking of words to describe Kirin: arrogant; irritating; really obnoxious and looks around for someone else to converse with.

Ooc: I felt that 2921 needed acknowledging in some form.

Ooc: While not the Elf in mind in 2921, I think Keldorn is justified here.

Meegs took a sip and swilled the liquid around in her mouth before swallowing. She nodded to the vender as she handed the goblet back to Kirin, their hands brushing. While her eyes remained obscured behind her thick specticles, her cheeks blushed hotly as she slowly pulled her fingers away.
--
The white haired Elf chuckled, meeting Keldorn's eyes and giving a quick and sympathetic exasperated look. He raised a cup of his own and took a swig of his own wine.

At Keldorn's elbow an earthy-fleshed figure roughly elbowed its way up to the counter. A Goblin, 4' tall and dressed in roughly made tunic and leggings. He snarled and threw a frown at the vender.
"I need a bottle of Mad Dog #5."

"I'm sorry sir." said the white haired Elf, his look of displeasure unhidden. Whether it was aimed at the Goblin himself or simply at his gruffness it was hard to say, but either way he was uncomfortable with the situation. "I sell wine here. Mad Dog is not part of my line."

The Goblin snorfled and wiped his nose with the back of his arm. "What's the strongest thing you've got then."

"Strongest?" The Elf was taken aback. "I classify my products by flavour and purpose, not by its relative effect on imbibers."

The Goblin looked impatient and his hands curled into fists.

Profile WWW YIM  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:35 pm 
Beholder
Beholder

Quote:
The white haired Elf chuckled, meeting Keldorn's eyes and giving a quick and sympathetic exasperated look. He raised a cup of his own and took a swig of his own wine.

At Keldorn's elbow an earthy-fleshed figure roughly elbowed its way up to the counter. A Goblin, 4' tall and dressed in roughly made tunic and leggings. He snarled and threw a frown at the vender.
"I need a bottle of Mad Dog #5."

"I'm sorry sir." said the white haired Elf, his look of displeasure unhidden. Whether it was aimed at the Goblin himself or simply at his gruffness it was hard to say, but either way he was uncomfortable with the situation. "I sell wine here. Mad Dog is not part of my line."

The Goblin snorfled and wiped his nose with the back of his arm. "What's the strongest thing you've got then."

"Strongest?" The Elf was taken aback. "I classify my products by flavour and purpose, not by its relative effect on imbibers."

"Starting a fight next to an arch-mage, may not be the best of ideas," observes Keldorn to no one in particular. "Especially when the likely target has just supplies said arch-mage with such an interesting vintage to taste." He takes a sip of the wine.

"Mind you," he adds, "I do know someone who has set up a charity on another world to support orcs, goblins and kobolds and e does have access to some really interesting alcoholic substances."

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 6:23 pm 
Lich
Lich

Beholder King wrote:
Meegs took a sip and swilled the liquid around in her mouth before swallowing. She nodded to the vender as she handed the goblet back to Kirin, their hands brushing. While her eyes remained obscured behind her thick specticles, her cheeks blushed hotly as she slowly pulled her fingers away.
--

Kirin blinks.
Uh oh... Perhaps he has been a little too successful at making himself acceptable to the natives.
Nevertheless, he will still accept the cup and take a drink from it.

He takes a taste, finds it perfectly acceptable, but before he can say much, his eyes go wide. It is one thing to see Humans going about their business in a Elvish city, but a Goblin? And a rude one, as well.
What kind of place is this, anyway?

Beholder King wrote:

"Perhaps, the 'purpose' for this one would be to put his mind in a different place?" he says softly out of the side of his mouth to the Vendor, in a somewhat archaic version of High Elfen.

keldorn wrote:
"Mind you," he adds, "I do know someone who has set up a charity on another world to support orcs, goblins and kobolds and e does have access to some really interesting alcoholic substances."

That snaps his attention to Keldorn, and Kirin does his best to make a pleasant mask of his face.
When you are done talking to the others -
"A world-walker, I take it? Fascinating, it requires rare gifts to become part of such a rare breed. I'll bet you have some brilliant tales to tell."

He turns to Megs; "Are you one as well? One who can breach the dimensional membrane, or navigate the Overworld at will?"

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:33 am 
Creator
Creator

keldorn wrote:
"Starting a fight next to an arch-mage, may not be the best of ideas," observes Keldorn to no one in particular. "Especially when the likely target has just supplies said arch-mage with such an interesting vintage to taste." He takes a sip of the wine.

"I ain't interested in no Elven charity, pal!" snapped the Goblin, glaring and almost hissing at the taller Keldorn. "I just need a supply of strong drink for the road." he turned his ferocious gaze at the vender. "And something that doesn't taste like grass and dirt."

The wine vender simply rolled his eyes and turned back to help another potential customer.

-----------
Phaing wrote:
That snaps his attention to Keldorn, and Kirin does his best to make a pleasant mask of his face.
"A world-walker, I take it? Fascinating, it requires rare gifts to become part of such a rare breed. I'll bet you have some brilliant tales to tell."

He turns to Megs; "Are you one as well? One who can breach the dimensional membrane, or navigate the Overworld at will?"

Meegs snapped herself out of her revery once she realized she'd been asked a question. She lowered the glass. "Me? Oh no, I've never been to any other 'worlds'... that I know of anyway." She giggled girlishly, then blushed again and focussed on her drink.

Profile WWW YIM  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 4:21 pm 
Beholder
Beholder

Beholder King wrote:
"I ain't interested in no Elven charity, pal!" snapped the Goblin, glaring and almost hissing at the taller Keldorn. "I just need a supply of strong drink for the road."

"Not Elven charity, Dwarven" says Keldorn. "Mind you, last time I saw Rimorob he was in goblinoid form and I think he may have been human before that. And it wasn't his idea in the first place. Intelligent weapons can have all sorts of weird ideas."

Phaing wrote:

"But of course I do," says Keldorn, "Though the term you use is new to me. I've most often self-powered travel between universes by spell-jamming. But now I have simulacra to do the driving so I can concentrate on other things.

"Normally, mind you, I use other facilities to travel between universes. A number of worlds have halls of teleportation set up for both inter- and intra-universal travel and, of course, there are high-level variants of the teleport spell that can allow that without any unfortunate squishing in the middle of things side effects.

"And Rimorob, who I mentioned earlier, has a sophisticated version of an amulet of the spheres. It has a different setting for every world he visits with it. And then he can manually give it that setting and return to that world and take some more people with him using a slave amulet. Mind you one of the slave amulets is now reserved for his Luggage."

Ooc: Rimorob is not my character, though I've known him and his player for over 30 years. I'm pretty sure that it was this character that generated a remark in an early edition of White Dwarf when it was still a general RPG magazine complaining about unimaginative players naming their characters Boromir spelt backwards.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:03 pm 
Lich
Lich

Beholder King wrote:
Meegs snapped herself out of her revery once she realized she'd been asked a question. She lowered the glass. "Me? Oh no, I've never been to any other 'worlds'... that I know of anyway." She giggled girlishly, then blushed again and focussed on her drink.

oh dear...

"Well, that is something to look froward to, something new to learn."

As Keldorn begins speaking, Kirin reaches out with an seemingly idle gesture, stroking her cheek with his hand. But he quickly takes a grip and points her head towards the Mage as he speaks, and sends Megs a subtle yet firm mental suggestion; focus on this.

keldorn wrote:
"But of course I do," says Keldorn, "Though the term you use is new to me. I've most often self-powered travel between universes by spell-jamming. But now I have simulacra to do the driving so I can concentrate on other things.

"Normally, mind you, I use other facilities to travel between universes. A number of worlds have halls of teleportation set up for both inter- and intra-universal travel and, of course, there are high-level variants of the teleport spell that can allow that without any unfortunate squishing in the middle of things side effects.

"And Rimorob, who I mentioned earlier, has a sophisticated version of an amulet of the spheres. It has a different setting for every world he visits with it. And then he can manually give it that setting and return to that world and take some more people with him using a slave amulet. Mind you one of the slave amulets is now reserved for his Luggage."

"Luggage?!" He can't help laughing, in a kindly way. "I suppose that specialization has it's price, but with all the pouches and pockets of holding and Portable Holes that seem so prevalent ... Luggage for an arch-mage sounds a touch eccentric to my ears. Ah, but what is common in one sphere can't be so in others, I suppose." He arches one eyebrow at Keldorn. "I'll wager that it is an exceptionally elegant set of accouterments, yes?"

The smile fades, and he puts his hands behind his back. "Halls... for the convenience of travelers... does this world have one of those? Troubling, that. I have seen such places, and they function well enough, for a time. But in my experience, it rarely lasts for long. The social chaos and political instability brought about by constant contact with alien worlds proves insurmountable in the end. There was one case..." He looks skyward, winces, and shakes his head.

"Well, nevermind that. What advice would you have for a young and promising mage like Megs here, before she enters the lynk-lanes for the first time?"

keldorn wrote:
Ooc: Rimorob is not my character, though I've known him and his player for over 30 years. I'm pretty sure that it was this character that generated a remark in an early edition of White Dwarf when it was still a general RPG magazine complaining about unimaginative players naming their characters Boromir spelt backwards.

Irony; I have used that name more than once... for mulish horses belonging to certain PCs. :snooty:

I have a handful of Dragon Magazines left over from the 80s, they have provided me with better raw material for creating adventures and settings than anything being published today.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 7:48 pm 
Creator
Creator

keldorn wrote:
"Not Elven charity, Dwarven" says Keldorn. "Mind you, last time I saw Rimorob he was in goblinoid form and I think he may have been human before that. And it wasn't his idea in the first place. Intelligent weapons can have all sorts of weird ideas."

"Shape shifters? Bah." The Goblin snorted. "Can't trust those little stinkers."

keldorn wrote:

As the two men continued their conversation about interworld travelling, the Goblin's eyes glazed over. He quickly lost interest and started looking around the market for somewhere else to purchase his ale.

Phaing wrote:

"Luggage?!" He can't help laughing, in a kindly way. "I suppose that specialization has it's price, but with all the pouches and pockets of holding and Portable Holes that seem so prevalent ... Luggage for an arch-mage sounds a touch eccentric to my ears. Ah, but what is common in one sphere can't be so in others, I suppose." He arches one eyebrow at Keldorn. "I'll wager that it is an exceptionally elegant set of accouterments, yes?"

The smile fades, and he puts his hands behind his back. "Halls... for the convenience of travelers... does this world have one of those? Troubling, that. I have seen such places, and they function well enough, for a time. But in my experience, it rarely lasts for long. The social chaos and political instability brought about by constant contact with alien worlds proves insurmountable in the end. There was one case..." He looks skyward, winces, and shakes his head.

"Well, nevermind that. What advice would you have for a young and promising mage like Megs here, before she enters the lynk-lanes for the first time?"

As Keldorn begins speaking, Kirin reaches out with an seemingly idle gesture, stroking her cheek with his hand. But he quickly takes a grip and points her head towards the Mage as he speaks, and sends Megs a subtle yet firm mental suggestion; focus on this.

Meegs ducked her head out of Kirin's grip and quickly jabbed him below the ribs with her sharp elbow. Before he could recover the remaining wine from the taster's goblet had been emptied into his face.
"No man... NO PERSON... attempts to control my mind, you stuck-up parasite!" she hissed through her teeth. The goblet bounced off his chest and the bolt of fabric she'd purchased from the other merchant were thrown at him before she stomped angrily off down the market.

OOC: Nice. You bored and pissed off all the NPCs. I think there's a special XP listing for players like you. Heheheh

Profile WWW YIM  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:01 pm 
Beholder
Beholder

ooc: I could send Keldorn in pursuit of Meegs if you want, but I get the impression you are discouraging doing anything further. Keldorn was always going to side with an elven wine merchant against an aggressive goblin.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:47 pm 
Creator
Creator

keldorn wrote:
ooc: I could send Keldorn in pursuit of Meegs if you want, but I get the impression you are discouraging doing anything further. Keldorn was always going to side with an elven wine merchant against an aggressive goblin.

OOC: It's entirely up to you. For the record, you didn't piss off the Goblin, he just got bored and wandered away while you were talking magic with Kirin. And it was Kirin who pissed off Meegs by trying to manipulate her magically. Both are still within sight if you want to pursue them. If you don't, I'll come up with more things to do and people to meet. As you like. You've got a whole world to explore and I'll just keep coming up with adventure hooks for you to grab onto or ignore.

Profile WWW YIM  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 2:18 am 
Lich
Lich

keldorn wrote:

more OOC;
I'm fine with following your lead if you have anything in mind.
Kirin is a good one for all sorts of intellectual discussions, but you are right about the terminology he uses. Pretty alien, isn't it?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:16 pm 
Beholder
Beholder

Beholder King wrote:
keldorn wrote:

"Shape shifters? Bah." The Goblin snorted. "Can't trust those little stinkers."

keldorn wrote:

As the two men continued their conversation about interworld travelling, the Goblin's eyes glazed over. He quickly lost interest and started looking around the market for somewhere else to purchase his ale.

Phaing wrote:

Meegs ducked her head out of Kirin's grip and quickly jabbed him below the ribs with her sharp elbow. Before he could recover the remaining wine from the taster's goblet had been emptied into his face.
"No man... NO PERSON... attempts to control my mind, you stuck-up parasite!" she hissed through her teeth. The goblet bounced off his chest and the bolt of fabric she'd purchased from the other merchant were thrown at him before she stomped angrily off down the market.

Keldorn cover his face with his hand but cannot stop a snort of laughter from escaping.

"Well that was a waste of good wine," he observes after recovering his composure. He picks up the goblet and returns it to the wind merchant.

"Sorry about that. I only met the young lady an hour or so back. She's clearly a temperamental type. And no common sense. I'm sure that some Mad Dog, No 5, 6 or 10 million would have had a nastier lingering odour." He digs into his pocket for some coins.

"Do you have a bottle of that wine for me to swig while I look around. Or would you recommend I try something else? A mate and I have a casino cum music venue and it's always good to sample some possible wine to stock up with."

Once he has his bottle, Keldorn turns to Lord Kirin. "Shall we continue looking around? There may be something amusing to see, some lovers' tiffs or whatever.

"By the way," he says as they move on. "Rimorob's luggage does have some pockets of holding. Big one's..." He holds his arms wide to demonstrate. "It can take samples of the opposition when we're in combat. That can scare off the rest of 'em." He has a grin on his face as he reminisces.

"And Rimorob's no arch mage. He's a Dwarven fighter... or was... Now he's also a Priest of Wayland Smith."

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 5:44 pm 
Lich
Lich

Kirin's basic stance has gone from "oh dear god" to something more like "oh thank god" once Megs is gone. The only jarring note is the laughter, which earns Keldorn a curious stare. Its as if Kirin does not know what to make of being laughed at, exactly. Yet that to is forgotten as easily as if he had brushed it off alone with the wine rolling down his black overcoat. Or cape... its actually a curious mix of the two, but anyway-

keldorn wrote:
"Do you have a bottle of that wine for me to swig while I look around. Or would you recommend I try something else? A mate and I have a casino cum music venue and it's always good to sample some possible wine to stock up with."

Once he has his bottle, Keldorn turns to Lord Kirin. "Shall we continue looking around? There may be something amusing to see, some lovers' tiffs or whatever.

He rolls his eyes. "I would be more interested in learning how things work around here. Interestingly enough, you are one of the few I could have met here who appreciate how skewed my point of view is where, how different... and I would prefer that not be made very common knowledge just yet.
In short, I need a guide, if only for a little while, how can I make it worth your while? Ah, for example, I was thinking of having half a case of this fellow's wine to that Tavern to be held for my use... however..."
He holds up a coin made of platinum. "Too much?"

keldorn wrote:
"By the way," he says as they move on. "Rimorob's luggage does have some pockets of holding. Big one's..." He holds his arms wide to demonstrate. "It can take samples of the opposition when we're in combat. That can scare off the rest of 'em." He has a grin on his face as he reminisces.

"And Rimorob's no arch mage. He's a Dwarven fighter... or was... Now he's also a Priest of Wayland Smith."

"A Dwarf, and a fighter.... now a Preist?" Kirin muses and strokes his chin. "Sounds like an interesting man. And no doubt, very good at what he does. That gear does not sound like the sort of things one would just 'find', it must have been made for him by a grateful mage. Or perhaps, a very well-paid one, eh?"

[ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next