Rich Morris' Comics - YAFGC and The ComixBlog

Discussion forum for fans of YAFGC and Rich's ComixBlog. Because all the cool webcomics have one.

Jump to YAFGC / Jump to The ComixBlog

It is currently Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:14 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

[ 227 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
 Post subject: Re: No Sh!t, There I Was... Gaming Stories
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:29 pm 
Creator
Creator

Morgana wrote:
Stories never end, do they?

I'm sure I've run games like this.

Profile WWW YIM  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:53 pm 
Enforcer
Enforcer

Lord_Fellgrin wrote:
I have not a face or a palm big enough for that one.

Where does he think half-elves come from, or does he think humans mate through soulfully gazing into one another's eyes as well?

Oh no. You see, according to Narcissus (the dwarf) elves are poor creatures that mate through eye-sex unless a superior race (dwarves) comes to show them how it is really done. Then they will see the light.
I guess it is this conviction that allows him to walk up to gorgeous women four heads taller than him, let down his flowing white mane and flirt. The thing is the dice seem to agree that confidence is everything and allow themselves to be charmed. If only he had the same results in battle!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:46 pm 
Minotaur
Minotaur

This one is a very old one. It comes from my very first campaign... 15 years ago. The setting was a classic AD&D2 Forgotten Realms.

One of the very first magic items we found was a "Deck of Many Things". For those who do not know, this artefact is a deck of 22 cards and each of them has a different magic effect ranging from magically making you the king of your own land to irrevocably destroying your soul.

To use it, you announce the number of card you want to draw and draw them one after the other, applying the effect successively. The thing is that you can use the deck only ONCE so you can't just say you want to draw one card again and again.

The campaign was difficult and the GM was very harsh, all NPCs were traitorous dicks, nobody was likeable or helpful and we kept meeting super-powered god-like NPCs who gave us orders we couldn't refuse. When the campaign stopped, our group of lvl 5 characters had orders to find the macguffin pieces and give them to ...

1) a group of "shadow lords", evil lvl 35 characters in black armor, agents of a dark god-like entity
2) a dragon-cult with human priests mounted on skeletal dragons
3) a liche with his army of vampire and griffins in his obelisk fortress
4) a king of a powerful country.
5) a powerful unseen psion who used his powers to animate empty armors from unlimited distances.

... You get the picture.

So, back to the story, after finding the third piece of the macguffin our party was decimated with only two survivors on a group of nine (counting NPC cohorts) and some of the corpses were in another dimension.

The survivors were the leader of the group, my character, and another player's. Neither of us were cleric or wizard so the various pieces of our company seemed irremediably lost.

... Until I remembered the Deck of Many Things.

You see, one of the cards of the Deck grants you 1d3 wishes. So if I drew it I could resurrect the rest of the party and save the group. One card on 22 aren't good odds and there was only one way I could maximize my chances of getting the "Wish" card.

"How many cards do you draw ?" Asked the GM

"All of them" I answered.

My only chance was to get the "Wish" card before I got the "Soul Destruction" card and fortunately it happened and I got two wishes.

"What is your first wish ?"
"I wish for all my companions to be alive and with me once again"
"Ok, they all appear before you, naked. You did not wish for their equipment"
".. Fine"
"Your second wish ?"
"I wish for all the negative effects of the cards from the Deck of Many things drawn by myself today to be redirected on the Shadow Lords"

... and that is how, as a desperate lvl 5 fighter, I destroyed the souls of the GM's group of lvl 35 evil NPCs who have been ordering us around. Of course, the GM ressurected them (don't ask me how, I thought you couldn't get deader than having your soul destroyed and your body cast in a prison dimension).

... and that is how my character became king of his own kingdom ! No... wait, my character got the paper saying he was the legitimate king of a small kingdom somewhere but that kingdom had been invaded and nobody would ever recognize his right.

... and that is how my character became neutral evil, because he was neutral good before and his aligment got magically changed by a card and the GM did not think having your entire personnality changed for the worse would be considered a "negative effect".

Anyway, I really liked that character and I really did not want him to die so I was quite proud of myself all thing considered ;)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:37 pm 
Enforcer
Enforcer

Did you kill the DM, in real life? I would have.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:35 pm 
Demigod
Demigod

How did you handle the cards that say "And draw no more cards from the deck?"

For that matter, how'd you get around the Draw 1-4 Cards rule?

Then you are a bot and must be banned.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:33 am 
Minotaur
Minotaur

No, unfortunately I believe the GM is still alive to this day ;)

We did not finish the campaign, we got the last of the macguffin pieces, started to head for the last place where they had to be assembled for the last act and the GM ... had to improvise a game session because he did not prepare so we spent one afternoon being annoyed by various NPC jerks on every little steps of the trip's preparation.

I remember that I left early and there wasn't a next session.

Lord_Fellgrin wrote:
How did you handle the cards that say "And draw no more cards from the deck?"

For that matter, how'd you get around the Draw 1-4 Cards rule?

I do not remember such a card but it may have popped after I got the critical, good and bad, ones.

Since I do not recall my character gaining anything beside the "invaded-kingdom" and the "instant-evilification", it may have be drawn at some point.

I... seem to remember that my character aged magically at some point, it may have been a card's effect.

As for the "1-4 card(s) rule", there wasn't any such rule we were told about. Looking online, it seems the Deck rules and content changed many times, at least once per edition. So.. either that rule wasn't there yet or he forgot about it... The later isn't unlikely.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:57 am 
Enforcer
Enforcer

I had similar chaos inviting experiences when running Lankhmar, the DnD adapted setting. My troupe prefers playing spellcasters but Lankhmar only has white wizards (they act as clerics), elemental wizards (limiting) and Black wizards, who are evil and essentially unplayable. However, it is hinted in the setting that there exist other kinds of spellcasters, but their magic is chaotic and unstable. No more explanations given=DM's party time :sneaky2: .

With four out of seven players asking to play spellcasters, i chose to allow chaos magic: i downloaded a bunch of Chaos Effects tables and every time the wizards casted a spell, i rolled a dice :cloud9: .
There was a point where all wizards had managed to bury themselves waist deep into the sand, another where they resurrected the dead of an entire city and a third where they were transported into the Abyss, at level 6. A homophobic caster managed to get pink flowers to rain all over him for three days, the virgin wizardess kept turning into a huge, burly guy and the war mage managed to blast herself into the Deathlands.
The crowning glory though came when, in a battle, a male wizard cast a fireball and Chaos brought Enlarge upon him. So far so good, but then he cast fireball again and Chaos demanded that all his clothes disappear. So there he was, looming above his comrades, huge and threatening and oh so naked, everyone fighting under the shadow of his gigantic balls!

And it was glorious :wacky: .

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:32 am 
Beholder
Beholder

WHOOOO so here's a story for ya.

So in my current campaign we've got this system where you can create your own magic items, this is done by spending experience points to enchant your weapons with anything you like, the only limits are that you can't spend so much experience that you go down a level (there is a magic pool for this, I’m 7th level but i would be 8th if not for the pool) and if you have a weapon that was enchanted by somebody else, you can't add onto it. Basically it's done by putting a piece of your soul into the weapon or armour or whatever.

I had a weapon that was sort of the exception. What it was was two longswords that our group found early into the game, both were masterwork, had black blades, and they had this cool spider-web design along the hilt. None of us had two-weapon fighting at the time, so I (Alexander Longshadow, Paladin of St Cuthbert) took one sword, and his childhood friend (Biff Wellington, Nobleman Knight) took the other. They were backup weapons as I had a bastard sword and Alex had a greatsword, but we were close friends so it seemed right. After some time had passed, Biff was bitten by a wear-Rat and was unable to be cured in time due to his player being absent for a few sessions. As such Biff ran off and went full Were-Rat. Out of respect for him, Alexander enchanted his sword into a +1 weapon, naming it “Raust Biff”, “Raust” being a just-made-up word from his ancient family tribe for “friend”

Much much much later we find Biff's were-rat skeleton in a dungeon, sadly eaten by a dragon. He still had the sword with him though! So i picked up his sword and held out mine to check that they were indeed the same twin swords, and the next thing i know, a powerful magnetic attraction between them occurs and the two longswords merge into a single bastard sword! Turns out Biff had enchanted his own at some point, and this somehow caused both halves of the sword to permanently fuse together. (as we then found out they were built to merge like this then be split apart when needed.)

None of us knew what exactly this sword did, and examining it to try and identify it showed nothing, it was too powerful.

Well earlier today i made a horrible mistake. I blew it up.

We were fighting fire elementals, and as the air-elemental we had just fought had counted as incorporeal, i figured “fire... can't really touch that, must be incorporeal too.” And stupidly came to the conclusion that hey, my normal sword doesn't have ghost touch on it yet (as I’m planing to enchant it with) so I’ll use this one i know nothing about! Maybe it DOES have ghost touch or something! And i stupidly think there won't be any consequences for this as the sword is magical, so fire shouldn't be able to damage it. I did not realize at the time that fire elementals are MAGICAL, and thus it's not ordinary fire.

So I’m swinging away at this fire elemental, I’m buffed up to the teeth so i get three attacks per round at +16/+16/+9 attack bonus and +8 damage, and after every attack the DM makes me roll a Reflex save for the sword, so i roll a D20 and add in my Reflex modifier each time. It was happening to the other melee fighters so i figured it was just a normal thing to make our weapons temporarily unusable. I failed abouuut... three or four times out of ten-ish attacks. The first time the sword started glowing red, and was then doused by a rogue with a water bucket, the second time it started to smoke, and the third time it started to swell and... blew up. Dealing fifteen damage to me, and thirty damage to the fire elemental.

Had the explosion KILLED the fire elemental i may not have been affected as badly as i was, but sadly this was not the case. As the sword exploded i head a ghostly, unearthly whale escape it, We then found out that the sword had a soul inside it, a sort of “child soul” formed by two different souls put into a single weapon. We also learned that the sword was a Weapon Of Legacy, with the potential to become an Artifact with further enchanting. The DM refused to give out any further information as to what the sword COULD have done had it not exploded, as it would have “Made me cry.” He did state however that had i reached level twenty it would have been a very OP (Over powered) weapon.

As it stood, the bad-arse weapon was gone for good, as far as i know the DM never denied the possibility of getting it back from a Wish or a Miracle, but one of the other players kept going “Your not getting it back” which didn't help. I was kinda depressed for the next hour or so because of it, and kinda just zoned out for awhile while the other characters shopped around to prepare for a trip outside of the city. As they were doing this however i came up with an idea that could POSSIBLY work.

What i figure is, The sword was made special by two soul-fragments being forced into a single weapon by the two individual weapons they enchanted being a piece of a greater whole. If i could have a blacksmith re-create the swords (I had a Dwarf blacksmith examine the sword before i enchanted it to learn of any special properties to it due to it's black-blade) then i could potentially enchant one of the two, then attempt to contact Biff's soul, or the god in possession of his soul, to allow for a fragment of the soul to go into the other sword, re-creating the effect that created the original magical bastard sword in the first place. If i couldn't get into contact with Biff's soul, i could possibly have another currently-living party member do the same with the other sword, such as possibly Alice the Rogue who Alex kinda-sorta has a crush on at the moment.

Now i kinda doubt it would work, but the fact that i had made a plan to re-create the sword in a way helped me feel better, as the DM turned to me specifically to find out what Alexander had been doing while the others were shopping, and have an NPC give him another quest to relay to the others, i was fine and fully in-character, no more depression to hold me down. It's kinda the hope that i can get it back that keeps me going right now. I realize it was probably a one-time thing and that re-creating it is unlikely, but you never know.

My main goal right now is to seek out a miracle or a wish spell to try and get at least an identical copy of the now-exploded sword in a way that hopefully won't screw us over. This is a long-term goal however as we are currently only level seven to eight. My backup plan is to attempt to re-create the sword, which means saving up my money to buy a specialized weapon that splits into two smaller weapons, possibly even made out of a special metal to make it in a way BETTER then the original sword, but this will also take time. The hope of one of these working keeps me going, If it works? Awesome. And if nothing works? Well it will have taken so long that I’ll probably have gotten over it. And at least i can say i tried.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:02 am 
Enforcer
Enforcer

The DM could very well use this frustration to throw an epic quest to you. Sounds like quite the opportunity for an involved session. I hope he/she does that!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:01 pm 
Minotaur
Minotaur

Agreed, a motivated player is the greatest ressource of a GM and your quest to restore your weapon is something that wouldn't be too hard for him / her to set up as a sidequest.

After all, You don't need to go far to find a renowned piece of medieval fantastic litterature using the reforging of a shattered sword as a "campaign" sub-plot : The Lord of the Rings ;)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:34 pm 
Beholder
Beholder

Sadly there aren't any remains of the sword to be re-forged. i even asked if there were, hoping i could use some to make a bit of a memorial necklace or the like. The explosion disintigrated it apparently.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:47 am 
Minotaur
Minotaur

Since it has a soul, couldn't it be "resurrected" (disintegrated "bodies" can be resurrected) ?
or "reincarnated" into another sword ?

It might be far-fetcher but easier than getting a "wish".

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:43 pm 
Beholder
Beholder

Hmmm possibly, i'll have to ask about that next chance i get. though it might be difficult since we never identified the soul or anything, and only discovered it's existance as it died.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:51 pm 
Minotaur
Minotaur

Hmm....

Well there are divination spells that might help identify the sword's soul post-mortem.

If there is a "god of blacksmiths" such as Gond in the Forgotten Realms in your universe, it might pay to visit one of their temple and ask. They might help identify the sword's soul... and even help in its resurrection afterward ?

It isn't impossible they'll have you atone for killing the sword in the first place ;)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:42 pm 
Beholder
Beholder

Hard to know, we were origionally in 3.5, thus having gods like Perlor and St. Cuthbert, however we are now in Pathfinder and have gods like Serenray while being in the "Oerth" Setting, wich i'm not sure is an offical or DM-made one or not. I did ask if there was a god of weapons or something and from what i can remember the awnser was no.

[ 227 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next