Rich Morris' Comics - YAFGC and The ComixBlog

Discussion forum for fans of YAFGC and Rich's ComixBlog. Because all the cool webcomics have one.

Jump to YAFGC / Jump to The ComixBlog

It is currently Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:18 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

[ 227 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
 Post subject: Re: No Sh!t, There I Was... Gaming Stories
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:34 am 
Demigod
Demigod

Oerth is the planet Greyhawk is set on. It looks like your DM is meshing two different default settings, a procedure fraught with peril and rich in opportunities.

Then you are a bot and must be banned.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:04 am 
Beholder
Beholder

I'll have to ask him what the status of the gods is after some time has passed to reduce suspicion. I'll get back to you on that :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:56 am 
Lich
Lich

Overheard;

So this great big Barbarian fella is unarmed and facing the monster that is about to topple over, it his turn but if he wants to kill it he needs to think fast... and well, he's fast.

He picks up the Dwarf standing next to him and throws it at the monster.
Critical hit, the Monster is down.

The interesting part is that this was the end of a campaign, and the Barb levels up, and gains a new proficiency slot to fill. The DM insists that the slot be filled by the unique entry "Thrown Dwarf."
The player went along with it, because hey, who wouldn't? Makes for a cute ice-breaker with new DMs when they look at that sheet and ask "WTF?"

However, I never did find out what the Dwarf thought about all this....

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:37 am 
Enforcer
Enforcer

Was the dwarf an NPC?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:38 am 
Lich
Lich

Morgana wrote:
Was the dwarf an NPC?

I really have not idea.

Huh.... which makes that the wrong sort of story for this thread, oops.

Let me try again.

And there we were, a party of half a dozen , captured and locked away in the dungeon of this huge fortress, all in separate rooms. After some failed schemes and some knots on our heads, the member of the party with insane Strength (always one of those, isn' there?) pulled a bar out of its socket and broke all the locks with it.

So.... yeah, standing in the dark hallway with nothing but our prison rags and no idea of where we are, what the layout of the Castle was or where our stuff might be. All we knew for sure was in 20 minutes, the guards on patrol would probably be back.
Needless to say, nothing for materiel components, and no memorized spells that would help w/o them.

So, while the usual arguments ensue, Phaing shucks her rags and makes a couple of makeshift flails by tearing them into strips and tying the broken bits of locks into them. Seeing her step up naked was enough to silence the argument * and so her plan was heard; Hide in the doorways and wait for the Guards to come rushing past, and brain them from ambush. Why would they come running past?
Phaing grabbed the best-looking member of the party, disrobed him and lead him to the far end of the hall from where the Guards always came from, and got down on her knees before him. He was the NPC Squire of the Cavalier in the party, and young enough to get in trouble ... well, you get the idea.

* Phaing is a 1/2 High 1/2 Drown Elf who's stats barely justified Fighter/Wzard, stands 5-foot nuthin' and had recently made the switch form Chatoic Evil to Chaotic good but was still overcoming certain limitations. She still has a problem with the whole concept of shame, for example.

Anyway, time goes by, and the boy, Jeffry, has had his fun and is now kneeling to return the favor. Everyone is in position and wodering where the Guards are. Phaing sees them first.
They just entered from a secret door at HER end of the hallway, something they had never done before.

So, there is my nomination for a bastard of a DM... but not really; he DID allow a surprise roll. The Guards blew it, Phaing didn't. She grabbed the considerably larger Jeffry by the hair and they went streaking down the hall, leading the pair of Guards shocked Guards into the ambush after all, just from the other way.
And while things were being divied up, Jeffry had recovered more that enough to finish what he, and she, had started.

Now... the part that made it memorable is what happened after the adventure was over and we were on our way home.
Jeffry turned out to be remarkably steadfast, so Phaing decided to seduce him away from the Cavalier. (told you so) She had the Charisma to do so, and then some... but they turned the tables on her. Jeffry said he would go with her, if she would marry him.

It takes a lot to shut her up, but that worked once it became clear that this was a serious request.
... for about 3 minutes.

Phaing smiled and nodded. Here at last was a man as crazy as she was.
"Okay, your on."
It worked very well, they had 25 good years together and one daughter.
Hey, he made it to 40, that's 1 years longer than the average Cavalier survives, or so I have been told. And he went out the way he would have wanted to; leading a charge.
Huzzaah!.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:13 am 
Enforcer
Enforcer

I always saw elves as having no compunctions about nudity. So party on :D .

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 1:25 am 
Lich
Lich

Well, being shamelsss can cut both ways.

Sure, Phaing may leap into action without even remembering about clothes, to the delight of the men in the party... until the same disregard for convention aloows her to walk right in on them when they are squatting over the commode bowl and think just as little of it.
She may even comment on the bean-content of your diet if she bothers to notice anything at all.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:16 am 
Enforcer
Enforcer

Tomb of Horrors anyone?
We were traversing the 40 year old dungeon recently, and my players found a well-lit banquet waiting for them. Guessing it would be a trap, they did not touch anything. Still, they did cast spells and divinations, and the food was obviously non-magical, uncursed and good to eat. They still did not trust it, but the ranger insisted on taking an apple with her. They literally discussed it for 10 minutes, whether she should take the damn apple, sealed in a bag of holding, picked up with pincers, wrapped in a towel etc. 10 minutes.

Then they walk in the next door, and the rogue spots a pair of magical gauntlets on a pile of skulls. She literally runs and picks it up. Bare-handed. No divinations. No discussions. Just the sound of "loot! loot! loot!" echoing through her head.

We did laugh for another 10 minutes when we realized, but of course none suggested leaving the gloves behind. And that, ladies and gentlemen, is what players are made of :D .

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:26 am 
Demigod
Demigod

If there's anything that can break players of their habit of just grabbing stuff, it's Acerarack's place. It doesn't seem to work, which I guess is where the old boy gets his entertainment from.

Then you are a bot and must be banned.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 6:58 am 
Enforcer
Enforcer

I had to make him a factor in my current campaign. 4th edition published a quite atmospheric mega-adventure as a continuation of the original Tomb of Horrors, and though converting stats is tiring, his story and his madness is beautiful in its entirety.

Nothing beats the original though. I was surprised to find out it is 40 years old.

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 7:28 pm 
Enforcer
Enforcer

Guys! Guys! I just presented Meegs as an NPC to my players and they loved her!

Well, hated her at first, her theatrics and arrogance. But then they caught wind of her being lonely and trying to fill her mentor's shoes... and decided to befriend her.
Imagine I only used her as a hired mage who could teleport them to a certain location.She could be anyone but I wanted someone memorable and Meegs came to mind... Then the rest just flowed!
BK, I will keep you informed if she ends up as someone's best friends or love interest. Oh, and the fluffy is there too :D . I will stop myself from making him a major villain :na:.

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 8:53 pm 
Creator
Creator

Morgana wrote:
Guys! Guys! I just presented Meegs as an NPC to my players and they loved her!

Well, hated her at first, her theatrics and arrogance. But then they caught wind of her being lonely and trying to fill her mentor's shoes... and decided to befriend her.
Imagine I only used her as a hired mage who could teleport them to a certain location.She could be anyone but I wanted someone memorable and Meegs came to mind... Then the rest just flowed!
BK, I will keep you informed if she ends up as someone's best friends or love interest. Oh, and the fluffy is there too :D . I will stop myself from making him a major villain :na:.

Okay this ..... is...... awesome. I'd love to hear all about the encounter! Wish I could have been a fly on the wall for that. *bounce bounce* As much detail as you can remember Morgana! Please you her or any of the YAFGC crew as you like! That goes for all GMs who might be reading this!

It's like... parallel universe versions of them!! SO COOL! (You might even inspire more canon comic stories!)

Profile WWW YIM  

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 8:23 pm 
Enforcer
Enforcer

So... Meegs could not help herself today, so she waited outside the cave where she had teleported the party, to lend them her mighty hand in case they needed it.

Having just come back from their adventure, the heroes were divided: some really disliked her, some felt pity for her but disliked her still and some found her awesome and thought she only needed to get out of her dreary tower.
They invited themselves in her abode, decided to befriend her, and she, hiding her entusiasm, took them in her -scary-on-the-outside-but-all-pink-and-fluffy inside tower, serving them tea in an animated table and chairs, in an animated teaset.
They did feel sorry as they realized at this point the items were probably her "friends" but they did become unsettled when they noticed that they were polymorphed... something. They had a good time, and told her to join them in Waterdeep. She said she knew no-one there, but they told her she knew them.
At some point they noticed the carnivorous dark magic books in her pink bookcase, but decided it was all the more reason to remove her from the shitty place she is in and take her somewhere more civilized and urban.
The first night out, two uncouth dockworkers whistled for her and she was about to turn them into alligators and have them turn into each other, so the party invested half an hour coaching her away from evil and extolling how happier the good people are.

Meegs does not necessarily agree with them but enjoys the attention, so she made a deal: they will take her out one night each (did I mention every single one of the party members is gorgeous?) and show her how they, as good people, deal with rudeness and flirting and generally the world. So she got herself 7 dates, and prepares to enjoy life in cosmopolitan Waterdeep!

I try to stay as close to YAFGC Meegs as I can so any comments are welcome :D . I also mentioned in passing what happened with her mentor, Edd, King Runtherd and the kobold pulling the axe from the stone, which made them die laughing.

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 10:31 am 
Creator
Creator

SO COOL!
I love it. Sounds like our Meegs to me! You make her perhaps more sympathetic than I intend most of the time. She's quite the sociopath. Right from the start she was happy to brush Eddy aside for her own advancement. Manipulating 7 high Cha characters into dating her is SO VERY MUCH in character. Great stuff! Keep us posted. :)

Profile WWW YIM  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 1:41 pm 
Enforcer
Enforcer

This just in. BK could have written the elven roles, so I have to post it.
We played Mines of Phandhelver, the introduction to the 5th edition. Fun little adventure all over and a nice break from our epic level characters in our current campaign.
Two girls played two cousins, an elf wizard and her half elf cleric cousin, both noble, urban and quite sheltered. The rest played warriors, assassins and barbarians.
At some point, the party needs to enter a goblin lair, but they hear wolves inside. The barbarian suggests they roll in shit to cover their scent. I suspect he was joking but the rest of the fighters thought this was a splendid idea and picked up all the poo they could find. The elves flat out refused to do that and so another fighter in a moment of happy camararderie told the wizardess to think of it as a beauty mask and obligingly smeared her face in shit.
Now, the fighter's player actually touched and smooshed the wizard's player and for some reason, the player screamed. I chose to take this in game so the goblins heard them and charged them, so the shit-covered group had to fight them all together instead of sneaking from room to room and taking them out one by one.
After they emerged victorious -barely- the enraged fighter turned to the still shocked elves who were trying to explain they were not used to this kind of thing, and told them they were not adventurers, they were "elf and the city".

Later on they picked a goblin being abused by its superiors and of course ended up adopting it, since the poor thing had the evil beaten out of him, being too bullied to stand. Drupp -as the guy is called- is afraid of his shadow, but still they insisted on teaching him stuff and helping him be an adventurer. At some point a very young green dragon makes his appearance, and according to the adventure, the group is supposed to scare him off, since killing him is near impossible at their level. Unfrotunately they failed a couple of stealth rolls, opposed the dragon in the open and he breath weaponed them into near non-existence.
Not on Drupp's watch.
The party had given Drupp a shortbow to make him feel good. The dragon had 4 hp left and would breathe acid a second time, leaving the players for dead. Drupp was the last in the initiative list, since i Had not bothered to roll for him.
But he scored a twenty.
And down went the dragon.
This must be the first time PCs were overjoyed to have an NPC save them. They hugged the poor goblin near to death and he was still so scared he fainted when they pronounced him Drupp the Dragon Killer. Every time he hears his new moniker I roll for him to not panick all over again (Dragon?!?!? Where?!?!?). Still, worth it :D .

[ 227 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next