Rich Morris' Comics - YAFGC and The ComixBlog

Discussion forum for fans of YAFGC and Rich's ComixBlog. Because all the cool webcomics have one.

Jump to YAFGC / Jump to The ComixBlog

It is currently Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:17 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

[ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject: Re: Women in Gaming
PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 2:10 pm 
Kobold
Kobold

Morgana wrote:
Sure but you can talk to the DM and let him know how you feel.
Or even be the DM yourself!
I know that as a female DM i have female rulers and female figures of power more often than male ones. It is a matter of identification, i think. Still, if a player explains how they feel, i would feel obliged to listen. Sometime DMs do things automatically, relying on a stereotype without even realising it, so it would do the world a favor if you talk and explain.

I'm not good at DMing myself, so that's not an option.

Talking about how I not like what he does ... is possible, but stressful and since it would be a lot of work to not rely on stereotypes, I suspect that not much would change, anyway.

Or maybe he'd always point out female characters afterwards, emphasizing that hey, look, there's a "strong female character"!

I guess I'll risk that someday, though.

Just wanted to mention that ... if you have to change things so you can get your perfect heroine fantasy, it's not escapism anymore. It starts to resemble reality.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:35 am 
Enforcer
Enforcer

You can't avoid reality if you are playing with real people. Storytellers come to the table molded by the 'real' world. You can take this as an opportunity to do some good, and promote something you believe in, plus as a chance to invest some time and effort for a good game in return though.
Now, i won't disagree that nobody likes arguing and especially women do not like complaining, but communication is actually a prerequisite for pretty much anything. I wish we could wave a magic wand and make people understad is but nope...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:18 pm 
Minotaur
Minotaur

From my experience L.A.R.P. has a 50/50 population and the plots and major figures reflect this.

I am one of the writers for a... fairly large annual L.A.R.P. event (250 - 300 people) and this year a great majority of our powerful / influential NPCs were female.

We have four big, fairly basic stereotype NPCs who were male (elemental guardians) but beside them we had (I summarize greatly) ...
- A powerful priestess of death who had changed faith once she understood that it was the way to achieve her objectives
- An ambitious elven princess risking all to protect her people, gaining power and respect in the process.
- A talented necromancer fighting for her freedom from an abusive master.
- A barbarian queen who had made a dark bargain to give her people an edge on her hated enemies.
- A female construct struggling to find her place in an unfamiliar world
- An incarnated spirit of savagery who became the "Red Queen", a faction leader
- An incarnated spirit of prosperity and avarice who... shaped and toyed with a lot of greedy people.
- An incarnated spirit of magic who has a cornerstone in many rituals and magical quests.
- 3/4 of the cult leaders and 1/3 of the guild leaders were women.

I did not list the minor women NPCs.

So as you can see, antagonists and protagonists a like. I can only advise women who find "gaming" to be too male centric to check out local L.A.R.P., see if they are a little more "enlightened" ;)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:40 am 
Enforcer
Enforcer

Draad, i am jealous and i want want want. I guess it must be exhausting though!

As for gaming in general, it all comes down to who you play with and how comfortable you feel with expressing yourself. If the other players are also friends, talking with them is easier.
The game material helps too. DnD and WoD are pretty politically correct (this is the subject of my PhD by the way) though WoD feels a little more natural in its portrayals. Most indie games do the same.

[ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3