Rich Morris' Comics - YAFGC and The ComixBlog

Discussion forum for fans of YAFGC and Rich's ComixBlog. Because all the cool webcomics have one.

Jump to YAFGC / Jump to The ComixBlog

It is currently Mon May 27, 2019 5:55 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

[ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Video Game Desert
PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 1:05 am 
Techgnome
Techgnome

Morgana wrote:
I am to receive it as a present and i cannot wait... i am looking forward to trying the different starts. Elves first, of course.

The "Starting stories" are original and very good - much much better than the old cliche of "Mr/Ms Hero dropping out of thin air and saving the world", and they do have effects later on (at least the the ones I have tried - human mage, human noble), and the voice acting so far is absolutley top-notch (apparently there are 144 distinct voice actors).

I'm not sure if you know, but before the game release they put out the 'Character creator' component of the game - ie: You could pre-build you character (appearance, stats, class, race, skills, etc), save your settings and then load that character into the game once it was released though you could chance it in game if you didn't like it. The program may still be available from the DA site and it could keep you occupied till you get your pressie. It saved a lot of time as I spent an hour tweaking the character appearance to 'just so'.

Hey if 'I' am going to be trapsing around the world as a wizard, I should have a decent appearance. :)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:46 am 
Enforcer
Enforcer

I have heard about it but did not try it out yet as i am bound to invade my friends' house and stel my present early if i do :-) . But i am curious, did you finish it twice already?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 12:04 pm 
Techgnome
Techgnome

Morgana wrote:
I have heard about it but did not try it out yet as i am bound to invade my friends' house and stel my present early if i do :-) . But i am curious, did you finish it twice already?

No. I am barely 1/3-1/2 way through at the game at moment. I tired some of the origin stories to see what they were like, and took the "human female noble fighter" to about 1/2 way through "chapter 1", before I returned to my old standby 'Human male wizard' (I've always preferred spell slinging to pointy sticks). But even with the limited comparison there were one or two events which were linked to the background chosen. And judging from some of the events which have occured 'in game' that are very specific to my spell slingers origin (people, places, things) I can guess with certainty the origin of others pops up.

You can also have PC's stored 'in the bank' so to speak. You can play the game as one character for a while - save your game and then switch to another character and play their adventure. The games are seperate of course, but you can switch back and forth between the differing saves. I may give my human fighter a spin later on to see how she goes.

The biggest problem is deciding which companions to pick for the trail (eg: I need the generic fighter/rogue/wizard groupings) but you are limited to a 4 man party. I like most of them (well except the guy whos throat I cut before he could join - I hated him the moment I saw him :twisted: ). Of minor in game annoyance somewhat is the romances - I have romanced my mages parter, but one of the other characters is getting angry because I didn't select her insted (she seems to mistake being nice for romantic interest, and the catfight is starting to get on my nerves - "arrgh, were just friends okay <npc name> I dont two-time, so stop it!".

Oh romance options discovered so far - 2 straight female, 1 bi-female (currently catfighting), 1 bi-male (he kept trying to hit on me), 1 straight male (maybe 2?)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:20 pm 
Orc
Orc

LC. wrote:
Morgana wrote:

No. I am barely 1/3-1/2 way through at the game at moment. I tired some of the origin stories to see what they were like, and took the "human female noble fighter" to about 1/2 way through "chapter 1", before I returned to my old standby 'Human male wizard' (I've always preferred spell slinging to pointy sticks). But even with the limited comparison there were one or two events which were linked to the background chosen. And judging from some of the events which have occured 'in game' that are very specific to my spell slingers origin (people, places, things) I can guess with certainty the origin of others pops up.

You can also have PC's stored 'in the bank' so to speak. You can play the game as one character for a while - save your game and then switch to another character and play their adventure. The games are seperate of course, but you can switch back and forth between the differing saves. I may give my human fighter a spin later on to see how she goes.

The biggest problem is deciding which companions to pick for the trail (eg: I need the generic fighter/rogue/wizard groupings) but you are limited to a 4 man party. I like most of them (well except the guy whos throat I cut before he could join - I hated him the moment I saw him :twisted: ). Of minor in game annoyance somewhat is the romances - I have romanced my mages parter, but one of the other characters is getting angry because I didn't select her insted (she seems to mistake being nice for romantic interest, and the catfight is starting to get on my nerves - "arrgh, were just friends okay <npc name> I dont two-time, so stop it!".

Oh romance options discovered so far - 2 straight female, 1 bi-female (currently catfighting), 1 bi-male (he kept trying to hit on me), 1 straight male (maybe 2?)

That's always frustrating in the Bioware games, the Romances, I liked that they were there, it added more depth to the roleplaying, though I didn't see much of it if there even was any in NWN, I rather didn't like that system, I got NWN2 but never played it yet, kind of expecting a prettier version with little noticeable change. The romances seemed imbalanced though in BG2, I think there were like 3 or 4 female romances and only 1 male one. Not sure, I kinda fell out of following Bioware after NWN, when I switched to the Elder Scrolls series, I've been wondering if I should get back in, I loved the Infinity Engine games, but the newer engines of NWN seemed to actually be a step backwards, no more 6 man parties or simple "commands" that you could issue, plus the camera was awkward and at least in the first NWN, the tilesets were extremely limited compared to the pre-rendered backgrounds of the Infinity Engine which didn't reuse the same models 10 times per map.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:32 am 
Enforcer
Enforcer

I like the in-game Romances though the only one i found well developed was in NWN 2, Mask of the Betrayer. In Baldur's Gate etc, they seemed to be there just because, but in Mask you had sparkling characters to interact with.
As for parties, it is the only thing i do not like about rpg's: you have to leave people behind and miss out their stories, plus the characters you want to adventure with are not the ones that make the best combination. At least, do they level up even if you leave them behind and pick them up later, same as they did in NwN 2, or do they stay the same level they were?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:17 pm 
Techgnome
Techgnome

Morgana wrote:
I like the in-game Romances though the only one i found well developed was in NWN 2, Mask of the Betrayer. In Baldur's Gate etc, they seemed to be there just because, but in Mask you had sparkling characters to interact with.

I couldn't truthfully comment on BG because my version was so heavily modded to improve party banters, romance options, etc that I dont want to touch the originals. I never really got into the MotB romances as I never felt anything for the two options so pretty much ignored them after a bit - besides I liked the giant furballs (Okku) personailty better :).

Quote:
As for parties, it is the only thing i do not like about rpg's: you have to leave people behind and miss out their stories, plus the characters you want to adventure with are not the ones that make the best combination.

It is slightly different wit DA:O. There is a zone/travel spot called 'camp' which you can visit where all the NPC's live once you recruit them - you can stroll around the camp site and interact with them, even the ones who are not your 'primary party'. So it is possible to advance each characters story (to a point) without having them in your primary party. However, leaving some behind makes it harder to advance their 'friendship meter' as they are not interacting with you or your decisions out on the road, so to speak.

You also miss out on some wonderful banter between the differing character personalities - eg: The back and forth banter between the cynical greedy witch and the happy fluffy fighter. They also start commenting about you 'behind your back' once things start getting hot&steamy with the romance option - "I didn't think she was his type" - "Me neither, wanna bet how long before they kill each other?", etc). I have been swapping various members in/out of the party just to hear the banter.

This is where my 4 limit gripe happens because you cant swap out NPCs in 'danger areas' so you have to pre-select them. And because I am a mage (atm) it means a second mage is sort of redundant, so from a tactical point of view I have to leave the NPC mages out and fill their slot with a fighter, etc.

Which means I miss out of how they react to a situation - if I could have 5 positions I could have the 'tactically necessary' NPCs with a spare slot for one more. But I drag NPC's along with who I like as opposed to pure tactics, and this can cause problems during some of the battles.

Hmm, I'll have to post the "party select from camp" screen when I get a chance.

Quote:
At least, do they level up even if you leave them behind and pick them up later, same as they did in NwN 2, or do they stay the same level they were?

I haven't looked carefully, so I can not say for certain. They do level up in sitting in camp but only if you exceed their level by 2 or more, then they get dragged up to just below you again. So the NPC's you drag along with you will always be a little bit higher in levels than the ones cooling their heels back in camp.

PS: Sorry for being vagueish, I dont want to drop hard spoilers and be sent to "Arachne's Re-education Centre".
PPS: Should this be split off as it is becoming more Dragon Age-ish (which albiet is a drop of water in the VG desert) for than generalistic?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 9:49 am 
Lich
Lich

to add to the Dragon Age discussion (i figure DM can always move the posts as needed) i finally finished the game

yes. i did it. took me 66 hours, but i got every little sidequest, every companion, every little secret (and most of the possible outcomes with a few save/load tricks)

the only deviations were the DLC items (some of them handy, but none game-breaking), a few custom items (thematically appropriate and cool looking, but not powerful) and the addparty/selectparty commands. i simply couldn't leave anyone behind... the interactions were just too fun to miss

I played as a male elf mage, loyal to the Circle and pretty damn suave (the only thing he was great at was talking.) After getting the lovebirds caught in the act, he moved on to become a Grey Warden but of the lighter shade of moral grey.

I managed to have all companions at 90-100% approval (all personal quests, nobody hardened), except for Oghren (my last) who was around 85%. I romanced (in that order) Morrigan, Zevran and Leliana, with everyone having a blast as we kept mowing down Darkspawn with impunity.

The selectparty cheat must have broken a few scripts, because my Epilogue looked like this:

Ferelden entered a new golden era, under a new rule and more capable counselors and generals that you can shake a stick at.
Denerim in particular got a bit more Elf-friendly and Shianni ended up the elder of the Alienage (they even got a seat at the council!)
Orlais is probably screwed since a certain witch may be headed that way. They are probably a bit miffed because the Fereldans got a dragon-free Urn too.
Orzammar entered a new golden era as well, under the iron fist of King Bhelen. Some idiots tried to recreate the Anvil and there was an incident with the Chantry, but all in all pretty flawless.
The Dalish Elves finally got some respect and even got their own lands to play in (which was easier without Tuvok leading them) with the Werewolf issue simply a memory of the past.
The Circle of the Magi is stronger than ever (with a bit of help from a certain Dwarf) and the Templars actually do their job (when they are not hunting Darkspawn with me.)
Finally, the Grey Wardens took over Arl Howe's territory and are building a new stronghold to rival all others (they have cookies too!)

As for the companions?:
Alistair married Queen Anora and was generally liked by all, while she was the brain of the outfit.
Morrigan is MIA with our child (as if I'd sacrifice myself...) and moving across the Frostback Mountains (to Orlais?) I think she took Baldur (my dog) with her.
Shale and Wynne went lore hunting in Tevinter, in order to make her fleshy again.
Oghren decided to go to his sweetheart, while Sten returned home with a good answer (I somehow don't see the Qunari attacking Ferelden soon.)
Loghain became a Grey Warden and started recruiting others (and quite a trick too, since i had already killed him... i guess he IS a vampire after all ...vea victus) while Zevran decided to help me rebuild the order, but serving as trainer for the young ones.
Finally, Leliana and I started rebuilding the Grey Wardens and unlocking the secrets of the Darkspawn.

as a sidenote, Arcane Warrior/Spirit Healer is ...broken. fun, but broken. the companions served as distraction, while i singlehandedly defeated a High Dragon

Profile WWW ICQ YIM  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:44 pm 
Enforcer
Enforcer

Thanks, Lith, for the frustrating black lines that make my fingers twitch while i try to hold back. We live in the same city you know, i can always find you :na:.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 2:13 am 
Lich
Lich

promises promises :P

i had to reinstall the game, so i am playing it again, this time as a City Elf Rogue

Profile WWW ICQ YIM  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 7:27 am 
Techgnome
Techgnome

Lith Maethor wrote:
i had to reinstall the game, so i am playing it again, this time as a City Elf Rogue

I've been playing with various mods and scribbling up a few of my own - The new bioware 'projects page' is unusable (like the new site in general) so Dragon age nexus is the best bet. Mostly I'm tinkering with face textures to make them look better (I mean "rotten yellow" coloured teeth may be historically accurate - but come on. And I want _green_ eyes. Real green, not baby poop greenish).

Though the number one task is to resist constantly answering "A coconut" to a certain riddle....

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 4:35 pm 
Enforcer
Enforcer

To be honest, the Witcher spoiled me for gamimg. While i like Dragon Age very much -it is so vibrant and there is actual role-playing, were talk matters- i miss Geralt. Despite the starting stories, you are still a fresh babe in the woods character while your Witcher character had an experience more suited to people my age (29 for reference). No innocence, no need for huge exposition, no nonsense -and it was still role-playing.
I like Dragon Age and the NPCs a lot, but i am looking forward to a second Witcher if they ever come to it -or at least to the third english translation of his saga.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:58 pm 
Minotaur
Minotaur

Have you tried Mass Effect?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 6:27 pm 
Enforcer
Enforcer

I am not one for sci fi to be honest :-) . Fantasy and dark fantasy do the trick for me. Since it is Bioware though, i am guessing it should be great for its genre.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:42 am 
Lich
Lich

Mass Effect is ...well, its awesome actually, can't wait for 2

Morgana, it is possible that you will enjoy the expansion of DA:O more, since you can import the char you played in the original game. but yeah, it is a bit less mature than the Witcher, or even Mass Effect

on a sidenote, there are face morphs out there to make chars look like a certain white haired hunter with yellow eyes

as for which game i prefer... well, really tough choice, but DA is NwN3, done right this time (sorry, couldn't get into NwN2) so it has to win, by a hair (you also have a chance to kill Captain Janeway, that's always a plus)

oh... and happy new year to everyone

Profile WWW ICQ YIM  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:12 am 
Techgnome
Techgnome

Lith Maethor wrote:
Mass Effect is ...well, its awesome actually, can't wait for 2

My main gripe with ME is most of the 'side questing' was drive around the 'small bland planet' in your 'impossible to drive car'. Plotwise though it is very good, and they have promised to fix the boring plantets and undriveable Mako in ME2. Pity about the Normandy though. :(

Quote:
Morgana, it is possible that you will enjoy the expansion of DA:O more, since you can import the char you played in the original game. but yeah, it is a bit less mature than the Witcher, or even Mass Effect

Which is the why I am more than a little worried about ME2. ME was built before the EA takeover, ME2 will be built after. There are some parts of DA:O which got chopped and kiddified, and then there is of course the whole DLC thing....

Quote:
(you also have a chance to kill Captain Janeway, that's always a plus)

True...but then you find out why the real reason Voyager crew didn't kill Janeway. "Ha ha! We'll kill you Captain, tale over the ship, and will be home in under a month!....oh crap...."

[ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next