Rich Morris' Comics - YAFGC and The ComixBlog

Discussion forum for fans of YAFGC and Rich's ComixBlog. Because all the cool webcomics have one.

Jump to YAFGC / Jump to The ComixBlog

It is currently Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:55 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

[ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Video Game Desert
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:23 pm 
Lich
Lich

first of all, that is not really a question... Alistair has the maturity of a 17 year old... the only redeeming factor is the fact he is a deadpan snarker (though the Sten is by FAR the ultimate deadpan snarker in the game) ...not to mention he whines almost as much as Ser Jory unless you "harden" him ...no, not THAT way

second of all, us PC gamers have the luxury of mods :D ...search for a little mod called Polygamey ;)

too bad i never thought of doing that in the Witcher

Profile WWW ICQ YIM  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:55 pm 
Enforcer
Enforcer

Well it is not that my goal in the game was to bang everyone at the same time to get my money's value... it is just that i did not have fun listening to a character to whom your character is close saying 'you are not the first to dissapoint me' and then turn their back to you. I know they are pixels but still, it was a little disheartening. More than half of the fun in this game is the interactions.
I do not know why it was somehow easier in Witcher: maybe because i felt Shani treated Gerald as a child, while both NPC's in DOA adore the PC.

Are there any actually good modules for DoA, by the way?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:30 pm 
Lich
Lich

tons of them, but we shouldn't derail the thread further, so... PM me and i'll tell you AAAALL about it

Profile WWW ICQ YIM  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:35 am 
Techgnome
Techgnome

Lith Maethor wrote:
tons of them, but we shouldn't derail the thread further, so... PM me and i'll tell you AAAALL about it

I have quite a few of the mods, I want a mod which solves a long standing BioWare problem - hats!

In Neverwinter Nights, the hats looks absolutly stupid - like strapping a beer can to your head and calling it a turban.
In Neverwinter Nights 2 - the hats were just as bad is not worse as the original (the masks - uggh).
In KotOR - the hats/headgear looked like somone has mugged a out-of-work circus clown.
In Mass Effect 2 - you can't even remove your helmet during conversations (except by 'respecing' your armour to have no helmet at a main base) to see facial animations/expressions, and get some silly scenes like drinking _through_ a spacesuit helmet.

A wizard without a pointy hat is just some weirdo who mumbles and has suspect tastes in clothing. A witch without a hat is just a cranky old cat lady who does funny things with brooms. Wizards and witches of the world demand pointy hats!

But it also touches on DA with the clothing as well. I mean really - Wynne is supposed to be an old wizardess, but having her run around in thigh high stockings, a low cut robe with a very short hemline is disturbing. And sadly that style of robe is the only one useful powers, and the more sensible looking robes are useless (robes were the first thing I rebuilt in the Mod tool).

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:25 am 
Lich
Lich

yeah, i'll be the first to say that Mage clothes ...suck. as far as mages go, the only remotely nice hat is the sorta-hood of an enchanter (with the tuft in the back, not the cone one with bells and whistles)

there are some mods that have a few interesting robes for mages (and more sensible robes for morrigan, based on the sacred ashes video) but all in all? abysmal.

leather armour is not much better either. realistic, but bleh

oh yeah, there are mods that remove/toggle the hats, but if there is one mod i want, is one that replaces the model for Blood Dragon Armor (hopefully to the ME2 version)

Profile WWW ICQ YIM  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:40 am 
Enforcer
Enforcer

I ended up hatless expect in battles. Walking around with a belled buket on your head takes something of the epic out of the game :-).
By the way, i wonder if America Mc Gee's Alice will make a comeback now that the movie is coming.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:31 am 
Lich
Lich

I just finished Dragon Age. I have to say I liked it pretty well. Good engine, good story line, beautiful to look at (except for the unrealistically copious amounts of blood during fight scenes, which of course, I could have turned off).

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:59 am 
Lich
Lich

currently playing Dragon Age: Origins - Awakening

it feels rushed, is full of bugs and even though it may be more rp-focused... it feels wrong somehow... i am underwhelmed

Profile WWW ICQ YIM  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:52 pm 
Enforcer
Enforcer

Well, it was out very quickly. Do you get the same character?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:59 pm 
Techgnome
Techgnome

Lith Maethor wrote:
it feels rushed, is full of bugs and even though it may be more rp-focused... it feels wrong somehow... i am underwhelmed

Ditto - quite a few bugs, lots of continuity problems, and I was bored after a fairly short period of time. Even for "just an add-on" it has a lot to be desired. A lot of it is based on material from the Dragon Age books apparently, which is why I suspect a lot of things didn't make a lot of sense.

Morgana wrote:
Well, it was out very quickly. Do you get the same character?

You can if you want. You can either carry your character over ro create a new one. While there are some differences if you continue with your old character they never stand out and you seem to be just a 'generic nobody' who is ocassionally mentioned as the hero of Ferelden. Bioware seems to be showing the first symptoms of EA's DLC syndrome.

On the positive side - Witcher 2 has been confirmed officially. And there was a funny thing embedded in a single frame of their 'promotional video'.

And on some less happy news news - Robert Culp (aka voice of Dr Breen of Half Life 2) has died.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:21 pm 
Enforcer
Enforcer

Gahhh! I was getting ready to do a Witcher 2 happy dance, and here comes a death announcement. I feel stupid.
But, yay, Witcher 2.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:25 am 
Techgnome
Techgnome

Well with a little bit of thread necromancy - you may start your happy dance now (a few months late though).

They have Planescape:Torment up on Gog. Wheee :hehe:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:49 pm 
Enforcer
Enforcer

Thanks! Thankfully, a few months ago, a popular PC magazine (PC Master, in case it is international) was giving it for the same price. This month they had Vampire: Bloodlines, and a few months ago, all the Baldur's Gate games (plus expansions) together with the Icewind Dale ones. I have to make a statue of their chief editor or something :-) .

I finished Planescape last week, and i can safely say it ranks between my top 5 artworks. Including books, movies and paintings, and i am an art junkie. I simply haven't seen such storytelling in any other medium save books of course, and counting those it still ranks very high.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:44 am 
Techgnome
Techgnome

An interesting one I have been watching for a while is "Dungeons" and since it's getting close to the release date I may as well point it out.

Made by Kalypso (Czech Republic) it bears absolutly no resembelance to Dungeon Keeper (*nudge nudge*). Well all know that DK3 got fobbed off to the Chinese and not Kalypso. No similarities here at all....

Drakensang 2 -River of time was finally released in the English version this month. Witcher 2 isn't due till June, Dragon Age 2 is out in March but I am very suspicious of it from the information given, and Mass Effect 3 due whenever.

Time to go searching the European Indy Developer sites again for more goodies to keep me out of mischief.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:28 am 
Techgnome
Techgnome

Well well well, it seems GOG is at it again. Their latest release - Dungeon Keeper for $6.

So YAFGCers, get out there and slap those mistresses (they love it) and conquer the realm (but check your gold reserves first). ;)

[ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next