Rich Morris' Comics - YAFGC and The ComixBlog

Discussion forum for fans of YAFGC and Rich's ComixBlog. Because all the cool webcomics have one.

Jump to YAFGC / Jump to The ComixBlog

It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:24 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

[ 11 posts ] 
 Post subject: Outrage of the Zygons Page 37
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:01 pm 
Kobold
Kobold

Wow! In one panel you take the Zygons from malevolent villains to victims that I feel dreadfully sorry for. That panel seven makes me feel bad for ever considering them a baddy. I really, really hope they get out. :(

Post subject: Re: Outrage of the Zygons Page 37
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:06 pm 
Puce Guardian
Puce Guardian

If only long enough to free their prisoners so they can stop the Zygons from taking over Earth and then the rest of the galaxy, right?

I'd say now was the time for the Doctor to do something really clever, except I'm not sure what he can do beyond knocking everyone's chair over to stay below the smoke while he hops to the door to yell for help. (If only the frequency of his coat was loud enough to get thru ... :oops: sorry...)

Is there anyone left to rescue him? I think Rio, Kimber and Stormer are headed off in another direction.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:32 pm 
Goblin
Goblin

M'reen wrote:
If only long enough to free their prisoners so they can stop the Zygons from taking over Earth and then the rest of the galaxy

As if. I mean, suppose the Zygons manage to take over Earth. It'll suck for us humans, sure; but I don't think the rest of the galaxy has to worry. A few facts:
- Earth has no interstellar weapons. We can't even send our warhead to a different planet in our own solar system. The Zygons would have to industrialize massively before they could become a threat, and that takes time. Which leads to the second issue...
- Earth is a problem magnet. Every week, regular as clockwork, there is a new menace which threatens anywhere between a city to the entire planet. The only thing keeping them in check is the Doctor and his companions, but they wouldn't have any motivation to keep doing that if humans weren't there anymore. So it'd be up to the Zygons to defend themselves, which leads to the third issue...
- Zygons are losers. They have enemies who do not hesitate to destroy entire planets to get rid of them, and look what happened to their homeworld... Even when they had the means to defend themselves (and, presently, they don't, see problem #1), they failed.

So, really, the Zygons should have a different plan. Taking over a planet to claim it as their new homeworld is sound, but choose a planet that is less troublesome and more out of the way than Earth. Something that isn't routinely being invaded by every spacefaring or dimension-crossing species in the universe.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:09 pm 
Orc
Orc

someone wrote:
M'reen wrote:
If only long enough to free their prisoners so they can stop the Zygons from taking over Earth and then the rest of the galaxy

As if. I mean, suppose the Zygons manage to take over Earth. It'll suck for us humans, sure; but I don't think the rest of the galaxy has to worry. A few facts:
- Earth has no interstellar weapons. We can't even send our warhead to a different planet in our own solar system. The Zygons would have to industrialize massively before they could become a threat, and that takes time. Which leads to the second issue...
- Earth is a problem magnet. Every week, regular as clockwork, there is a new menace which threatens anywhere between a city to the entire planet. The only thing keeping them in check is the Doctor and his companions, but they wouldn't have any motivation to keep doing that if humans weren't there anymore. So it'd be up to the Zygons to defend themselves, which leads to the third issue...
- Zygons are losers. They have enemies who do not hesitate to destroy entire planets to get rid of them, and look what happened to their homeworld... Even when they had the means to defend themselves (and, presently, they don't, see problem #1), they failed.

So, really, the Zygons should have a different plan. Taking over a planet to claim it as their new homeworld is sound, but choose a planet that is less troublesome and more out of the way than Earth. Something that isn't routinely being invaded by every spacefaring or dimension-crossing species in the universe.

That's if the Silurians, or their aquatic cousins, the Sea-Devils don't find out, & act to stop them...
After all, if they find Humanity a bunch of "ape-primitive interlopers" that are effectively "squatting" on "their" planet, & have tried to "destructively remove", i.e exterminate said interlopers from "their" planet several times, how are they going to react to a bunch of Zygon's or "Alien Interlopers" deciding to squat on their planet...?
(Cue Skarasen, vs lots of Myrka battling...).

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:50 pm 
Orc
Orc

I think this shows the stark difference between Techrat and the Doctor. He's had this backup plan in place all along and has no trouble with the possibility of killing all the Zygons just to prevent them from interfering with his actual plans.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:20 am 
Kobold
Kobold

someone wrote:
M'reen wrote:

[...]
[...]

This is something I wonder if Rich will address in the future. While a lot of DR. WHO stories, canon and otherwise, take place on other planets, Earth pops up enough to make one wonder why it's uch a regular monster magnet. IRL, of course, the answer is that Earth is the only world we have, but within the continuity of the Whoniverse, why does our planet have this strange "tornadoes and trailer parks" magnetism going on?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:19 am 
Kobold
Kobold

jrp04f wrote:
someone wrote:
M'reen wrote:

[...]
[...]

This is something I wonder if Rich will address in the future. While a lot of DR. WHO stories, canon and otherwise, take place on other planets, Earth pops up enough to make one wonder why it's uch a regular monster magnet. IRL, of course, the answer is that Earth is the only world we have, but within the continuity of the Whoniverse, why does our planet have this strange "tornadoes and trailer parks" magnetism going on?

Are you kidding? We haven't even discovered FTL travel yet, our weaponry can be foiled by a simple cordolaine signal our early warning systems consist of hoping the aliens crash into Big Ben in an extremely public fashion.

We are the unlocked door of the Universe, prime real estate, minor human infestation but otherwise desirable property.

Any passing hoodlum species just thinks, "yeah, I'll have that."

EIG

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:23 am 
Creator
Creator

jrp04f wrote:

I've always been fond of the FASA "Temporal Nexus Point" myself. Our planet exists at one of these TNPs, points in the ebb and flow of time where it is most vulnerable to manipulation. Beings are drawn to it even if they don't understand temporal theory.

Profile WWW YIM  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:15 pm 
Puce Guardian
Puce Guardian

someone wrote:
M'reen wrote:

Grimley Fieendish wrote:
That's if the Silurians, or their aquatic cousins, the Sea-Devils don't find out, & act to stop them...
After all, if they find Humanity a bunch of "ape-primitive interlopers" that are effectively "squatting" on "their" planet, & have tried to "destructively remove", i.e exterminate said interlopers from "their" planet several times, how are they going to react to a bunch of Zygon's or "Alien Interlopers" deciding to squat on their planet...?
(Cue Skarasen, vs lots of Myrka battling...).

:scream: :mrgreen:

Very fair points!
Gold wrote:
jrp04f wrote:

Are you kidding? We haven't even discovered FTL travel yet, our weaponry can be foiled by a simple cordolaine signal our early warning systems consist of hoping the aliens crash into Big Ben in an extremely public fashion.

We are the unlocked door of the Universe, prime real estate, minor human infestation but otherwise desirable property.

Any passing hoodlum species just thinks, "yeah, I'll have that."

EIG

A fair point to any invasion story. The causal temporal nexus theory
Beholder King wrote:
I've always been fond of the FASA "Temporal Nexus Point" myself. Our planet exists at one of these TNPs, points in the ebb and flow of time where it is most vulnerable to manipulation. Beings are drawn to it even if they don't understand temporal theory.
can account for our lot in acquiring of time rifts, happening to be one of the planets chosen for various experiments, etc, that sort of thing. Together, they amount to a "Help me, Doctor!" billboard, with neon lights, laser spotlights and a tardis magnet.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:30 pm 
Kobold
Kobold

jrp04f wrote:

It's been more or less addressed in canon, really.

The Doctor likes us.

This has 2 results -

1) The Doctor's more likely to show up at trouble that involves us...so, a Dalek invasion of Earth, or the Silurians coming up to the surface, we'll see, but the Sontarans invading Armpit IV, we won't.

2) Enemies like the Daleks, who have a grudge against the Doctor himself, are more likely to target us - it's a lot easier to do real damage to us than to him, and it'll hurt him pretty bad.

(More interesting is 'why the UK?' since he hasn't expressed such a preference for Brits over, say, Canucks or Yanks, and has, IIRC, expressed disdain for the concept of national factionalism, in fact.)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:45 pm 
Puce Guardian
Puce Guardian

He has mildly shown a preference to the UK, London in particular - after all, that was where UNIT holed him up when he was stranded here. And did say he was, mostly for lack of any better alignment, British, when an American asked.

He has appeared elsewhere on Earth from time to time, China, Italy, France, Napalm, New York, etc, but admittedly, he leaves the UK less often than he gets an adventure off planet. And he mostly only travels to other countries in other times, typically their past. A 'present' adventure in another area of Earth is very rare indeed. (Tho City of Death was wonderful for other reasons, it didn't hurt to be such a rare event.)

Profile WWW  

[ 11 posts ]