Rich Morris' Comics - YAFGC and The ComixBlog

Discussion forum for fans of YAFGC and Rich's ComixBlog. Because all the cool webcomics have one.

Jump to YAFGC / Jump to The ComixBlog

It is currently Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:24 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

[ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Terminus Stuff
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:50 am 
Beholder
Beholder

Why? Because I'm board. I'm not feeling inspired with starship design. And am at an impass on how to end a fan fic. Soooo...

Probably not what Rich had in mind. But here's my take of the patch on Nyssa's jacket. From the Ten Doctors comic.

The Skull logo from the televised Doctor Who story "Terminus"

The Terminus Shuttle, from the Ten Doctors comic.

Last edited by captshade on Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile YIM  

Post subject: Re: Terminus Stuff
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:04 pm 
Orc
Orc

As the young folk say - kewl.

Of course, there's a downside. To do the skull logo, did you use a still or :hehe: did you actually watch Terminus?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:05 pm 
Orc
Orc

To reiterate - kewl.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:01 pm 
Beholder
Beholder

Actually wached Terminus. Have a TV rip. Though the closest image of the logo I got was from an In-Vision magazine cover. But I had to extrapilate from both sorces. As the one on the cover was at an angle, with the top tilted back. And was partialy covered by a version of the Garm.

Profile YIM  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:45 pm 
Orc
Orc

Speaking of the Garm, is it me, or would he look natural smoking one of those pipes Sherlock Holmes was fond of?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:18 pm 
Beholder
Beholder

LOL...You do know that the Garm, as with several other things in that story has it's origins in Norse mythology? He was the large dog that guarded the entrence to the lady Hel's domain (later reused by Tolkien as the talking dog in "Farmer Giles of Ham"). The Vanir is one of two aspects of the Nordic gods (the other being the Aesir). The drug Hydromel is named after a Nordic honey mead.

Kind of an interesting coincidence. When you consider that, besides being a group of leafy plants. The name Nyssa is an old Nordic word meaning "friendly fairy" (and sometimes "friendly elf", as elves and fairies were the same thing in Nordic myth). And Nyssa was depicted as one.

Profile YIM  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:42 pm 
Orc
Orc

Yeah, I did read that a lot of the characters in Terminus were based in Nordic mythology. Outside of Marvel Comics' take on Thor, that's territory which is fairly well untapped for sci-fi/fantasy.
"Friendly fairy", huh? When you think about it, Sarah Sutton would probably have been a rockin' good Tinker Bell back in the day.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:21 am 
Orc
Orc

Just a friendly nudge for ya - check out my picks for best and worst DW companions :sneaky: .

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:23 am 
Puce Guardian
Puce Guardian

See, anyone could have used your pics to help with their Halloween costumes if they wanted to do Nyssa or Terminus. (No I didnt go in costume ... wasnt in top form this Halloween so considered myself good to show up for a party :biggrin: )

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:04 am 
Orc
Orc

captshade wrote:
LOL...You do know that the Garm, as with several other things in that story has it's origins in Norse mythology? He was the large dog that guarded the entrence to the lady Hel's domain (later reused by Tolkien as the talking dog in "Farmer Giles of Ham"). The Vanir is one of two aspects of the Nordic gods (the other being the Aesir). The drug Hydromel is named after a Nordic honey mead.

Kind of an interesting coincidence. When you consider that, besides being a group of leafy plants. The name Nyssa is an old Nordic word meaning "friendly fairy" (and sometimes "friendly elf", as elves and fairies were the same thing in Nordic myth). And Nyssa was depicted as one.

Sorry to nitpick, Capt.Shade, but the meaning you give for Nyssa's name, is that for Nissa thats spelt with a I, not a Y...
Nyssa is a Greek name, & it means "The Beginning" or "The Start"...
In this case, Terminus is apt for Nyssa's departure series, as Terminus means "The End" in Latin....
Incedentally, there is a Saint, called Gregory of Nyssa, & Nyssa was a town, now gone, that's thought to have been near modern day Bodrum, Turkey...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:44 am 
Beholder
Beholder

Ok...I had to do some major research to make sure of a few things. Nyssa, as a name has origins in both Greece, AND Norway.

In Greece the name's meaning is "beginning", "ambition", and "goal". I'll take your word for it on "start", as it's a form of "beginning". And was originally spelled Nysa.

In the Scandinavian language the name means "friendly elf", "friendly farie", and "friendly fey". And as "elf", "farie" and "fey" all ment the same thing in Nordic myth (something I know something about, as a pagan following the Nordic path), they're compleatly interchangable. And can still be found in some Nordic baby name books. And was originally spelled Nyssa.

Nissa on the other hand, is a Hebrew name meaning "to test", as well as "ambition", similar to the Greek meaning. So there may be a connection.

Now Nysa, and Nissa both have Nyssa as a modern variant. But as "Keeper of Traken" was originally ment as Sarah Sutton's only story, one would think that the "frienly farie" was what was ment, as she came across as a farie princess. Which is fitting, as Sarah is Hebrew for "princess" (and "lady", but "princess" fits this application better). Though if you wanted to nit-pic spelling, (such as y verses i in Nyssa), remember that though Sarah was orginally spelled Sarai, it still has the same meaning today, despite the new spelling.

And though Terminus can mean "beginning", and "end". One could easily make the case that it also means the entrance to Hel's domain. Which, according to Nordic Myth, was guarded by the man-beast Garmr (pronounced Garm). The Vanir, who were an aspect of Norse gods, to which the Goddess Freyja (more commonly refered to as Freya) was a member. She was the goddess of love, fertility, and war. Also the Vanir tended to be a kin to Elves. To which Nyssa, in Nordic meaning, also is.

Now Nyssa can easily be put into the role of Freya. She's proven herself to be a capable warrior, as well as a becon of love and hope. And as far as fertility goes, she proven herself a healer, and stayed behind on Terminus to give life to those who no longer had any hope of living. Also Freya recieved half the slain brought by the Valkyrie. And as Lazars have been refered to as the "walking dead", the "slain" could also refer to them.

Freyja / Freya is also a root word to modern language. As "frau" came from it, meaning "lady" (like one of the meanings of Sarah). Which Nyssa certainly is.

Profile YIM  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:59 am 
Orc
Orc

Re: last post
Nice one, Captshade
With regards to Terminus, you might wish to listen to Big Finish's "Companion Chronicle" audio The Darkening Eye, which in part is set post-Terminus, & involves Nyssa...
The main story itself is set between Black Orchid & Earthshock, & involves the Doctor's companions interaction, with a alien species called the Dar Traders...
The Ending is very unexpected however, & makes you question just what the cure for Lazar's disease really is...
(Listening to the audio, one wonders how Sarah Sutton would have played Tegan, had Doctor Who ever did a "Mind/Bodyswap" episode a la Star Trek's Turnabout Intruder during Season 19 or 20, as she resists the temptation to do a "silly voice" during the audio).

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:06 pm 
Beholder
Beholder

Yes, I listened to it. They need to be careful, as some experiances would have a larger impact on the characters, thus contradicting on screen perfomances. This one skirted that a bit. And Nyssa dying, then coming back to life should have effected her a bit. As should her outright killing someone (no matter how evil) by slowly turning him to stone. Though, the post Terminus stuff could have happened almost anytime after the end of "Terminus".

Speaking of Terminus. I attepted a more detaled version of Rich's Terminus Shuttle (that I posted at the top of this thread) in larger scale...

Profile YIM  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:01 am 
Orc
Orc

Re:last post
Too true, Captshade, although the British fanzine Metabelis plausibly argued in a article in their first issue, (published shortly after Terminus was aired in the U.K), that Nyssa was slowly going insane, as the result of her adventuring with the Doctor, as well as the traumatic effect of losing her father & home...
As a result she left him, because she realised that if she stayed on, she would never recover her sanity...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:21 am 
Beholder
Beholder

Wasn't sure if I should put this in the artwork thread, or not. But as it's Terminus related, I'm putting it here.

While doing some research for a story, not too long ago, I came across some interesting info...As well as some coincidental naming... The helmets that the Vanir wear are based off of the Saxxen / Viking helmets from a rather historical discovery at Sutton-Hoo.

Profile YIM  

[ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next