Rich Morris' Comics - YAFGC and The ComixBlog

Discussion forum for fans of YAFGC and Rich's ComixBlog. Because all the cool webcomics have one.

Jump to YAFGC / Jump to The ComixBlog

It is currently Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:29 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

[ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Ask Rich! -How What Why Where and WHO! Non FAQ questions!
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:35 pm 
Orc
Orc

Ok, something has bothered me ever since I first started reading...I've re-read this a few times, and I still can't figure it out. We last see Glitz on page 43, running to the labs of Terminus, and we last see the Rani on page 62, transmatting away from the Cyber-things. Next time we see either of them is page 76. No explanation of how Glitz knew, or how he picked her up.

...is this something you can explain? Did I not see something that already does explain it? Or do I just have to wait for the appropriate part of the comic, which will explain all?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:50 pm 
Creator
Creator

kittystitcher wrote:
Ok, something has bothered me ever since I first started reading...I've re-read this a few times, and I still can't figure it out. We last see Glitz on page 43, running to the labs of Terminus, and we last see the Rani on page 62, transmatting away from the Cyber-things. Next time we see either of them is page 76. No explanation of how Glitz knew, or how he picked her up.

...is this something you can explain? Did I not see something that already does explain it? Or do I just have to wait for the appropriate part of the comic, which will explain all?

I can explain it, but it won't be made any clearer in the comic itself.
The Rani and Glitz have both been contacted by Davros. Glitz was hired to swipe the Lazar's disease virus from Terminus (which he didn't do!) and the Rani was hired/convinced to set up the Cybermen so the Daleks could take over. Their plan was:
Rani gathers companions. Rani drops companions off with the Cybermen. Rani makes escape (ideally with TARDIS, but it didn't work out, so she trasmatted) into Glitz' ship which goes to Davros' flagship.
Meanwhile, Glitz goes to Terminus, Glitz steals virus (keeping it all secret from Mel because she's a goodie-goodie and a bigmouth and couldn't be trusted to pull this off), and makes for Earth where he picks up the Rani and goes to meet Davros.

Makes sense?

Profile WWW YIM  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:11 pm 
Orc
Orc

Quote:
I can explain it, but it won't be made any clearer in the comic itself.
The Rani and Glitz have both been contacted by Davros. Glitz was hired to swipe the Lazar's disease virus from Terminus (which he didn't do!) and the Rani was hired/convinced to set up the Cybermen so the Daleks could take over. Their plan was:
Rani gathers companions. Rani drops companions off with the Cybermen. Rani makes escape (ideally with TARDIS, but it didn't work out, so she trasmatted) into Glitz' ship which goes to Davros' flagship.
Meanwhile, Glitz goes to Terminus, Glitz steals virus (keeping it all secret from Mel because she's a goodie-goodie and a bigmouth and couldn't be trusted to pull this off), and makes for Earth where he picks up the Rani and goes to meet Davros.

Makes sense?

It does, actually! (but my brain is a bit weird like that). Good, now I can stop distracting myself with that puzzle, and go back to worrying about where the Rani/#4/the companions/the K-9's are.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:04 pm 
Creator
Creator

Questions form "The 10 Doctors" comments page (193)
Who am I? wrote:
...oh and by the way I was up till 3:30 last night reading your fantasty Gamer comic.Its every bit as good as the ten doctors!Some of the human characters look alot like Dr. Who companions.Is that intentional?

Nope. There is no intentional connection between YAFGC and "The 10 Doctors". Other than my art style, which, as has been pointed out, often leads to characters looking the same. Thankfully a few simple changes here and there, a touch of consistancy and a whole lot of context keep my characters more-or-less recognizable. Of course, there was this rejected series of pages where I had a whole bunch of my YAFGC heroes turned into Drow women... big mistake. Thankfully DM pointed out the problem with all these characters looking the same and it was modified so that only 3 of them underwent the conversion.

Trevory wrote:
Yeah, YAFGC rocks! I like pg 1000… it’s like you(Rich) wrapped up the whole of it since pg1!
Also, Rich, after 1000 pages of YAFGC, is it the end of Bob and the rest? Are you getting new main characters?

I considered starting fresh entirely and creating all new characters. But I can't. There's still too much to tell. Threads left unwrapped, backgrounds still unrevealed. And I've grown to love some of them a lot. Mrs.B, Glon, Arachne, Cadugan.... They're fun to draw, fun to write for. I'll come up with some new characters too, of course, but there will always be room for the old favs. Including Gren and Bob.

Profile WWW YIM  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:03 am 
Creator
Creator

TeenageMage wrote:
Okay, question: Rich, if you’re planning on doing another Who comic, are you going to consider this one canon as it applies to the next one? As in, are you going to assume that for the characters in the next comic the events of this comic happened at some point? Just curious.

Okay, short answer is Yes. I will be considering "The 10 Doctors" as canon for my subsequent comics.
In more detail, let me explain that when the end finally arrives you'll see that it won't mean a whole lot for most of them. I'm seriously considering giving my subsequent comics an underlining plot that links them all together. But it requires more planning at this stage.

Profile WWW YIM  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:40 pm 
Goblin
Goblin

Sorry, but I've completely forgotten... How many children does Leela have? Have they all been restored? Well, all but one, because there was one that called her "mother" when she ran away from the rest of the companions. Also, how did that one get there? I think I missed something, because when he called out to her, I was like "whaaa? Where did you come from?"

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:35 pm 
Creator
Creator

Lily Knotwise wrote:
Sorry, but I've completely forgotten... How many children does Leela have? Have they all been restored? Well, all but one, because there was one that called her "mother" when she ran away from the rest of the companions. Also, how did that one get there? I think I missed something, because when he called out to her, I was like "whaaa? Where did you come from?"

I had her state earlier on that she'd had 13 children. Some of whom stayed and lived as outisders with her and some who'd gone to live in the citadel with their father.

We saw 7 Dalek conversions....
Dalek Ahn (Andred)

---------Leela's Children-----------------
Dalek Lin
The Head in the glass case
The Dalek who was running the conversion machine on Leela
A Dalek technician.
------------------------------------------
Dalek Tor (10th Doctor)
The Lord President

Other Time Lords and Leela's kids were kept in prison for later conversion (that'd be 9 other kids)

Dalek Lin got destroyed on Mechanus chasing after the 6th Doctor.
Then a Dalek in the lab got blasted for questioning Ahn's logic.

When the prisoners rebelled thanks to the 5th Doctor, we saw at least one of Leela's kids not converted who was an outsider and one who was a city dweller. (2)

When the 4th Doctor lead the Daleks away, there were 5 of them again (all Leela's kids who have since been returned to young children).

When K9 helped the companions escape, there was at least one other child of Leela's who was dressed as a city dweller.

The Daleks in the other lab converting Nyssa and others were all converted high council members.

During the attack by the companions, we saw one unconverted child get exterminated.

So, with a total of 13 children (of varying sexes)

7 were converted into Daleks.
2 were destroyed.
5 were saved and turned into children by the 4th Doctor.

6 were not converted.
1 was exterminated by a Time Dalek.

That means that by this point in the story, Leela is rejouvenated, 5 of her kids are infants and toddlers, 5 of her kids are grownups and can help raise their siblings, and Andred, still a Dalek, is on the loose somewhere, somewhen.

Profile WWW YIM  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:17 am 
Goblin
Goblin

Wow, I never would have kept that straight on my own, thanks. :]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:48 am 
Orc
Orc

I know this is the Ask Rich page, but short of starting a new thread, could I Ask Hilary...

Are you a DW fan yourself? I know Rich is into Doctor Who big time, Classic & New, but how do you find it? Do you have any favorite stories (apart from The 10 Doctors :wink: ) ?

Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:20 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Quote:
Are you a DW fan yourself? I know Rich is into Doctor Who big time, Classic & New, but how do you find it? Do you have any favorite stories (apart from The 10 Doctors ) ?

Umm. *cough* Busted.

I am actually not a fan of the show. Rich tells me that there have been brilliant episodes, and the one in the library with the skeletons was really nicely creepy (I am a big fan of Alex Kingston from when ER was actually an entertaining show). But for the most part, the episodes I've seen have been goofy and clunky, I want to hit most of the companions a LOT, and I'm somewhere on the scale between ambivalent to indifferent overall except for the fact that it makes Rich happy. I'd never watched it - and only knew vague things about it - until I met this charming guy, who had this vast library of tapes... and since he puts up with MY weird obsessions, it only seemed fair to go along for the ride with his. :D

I AM a big fan of the Ten Doctors, though, much to both of our surprise. I was actually whacking Rich with the strip binder last week when he stopped drawing at a cliffhanger (you haven't seen that strip yet, and I STILL haven't gotten to see the followup, the teasing so'n'so...) And I've learned a huge amount about the show both by osmosis through the past decade, and by asking questions when the comic stops making sense to me ("wait, who's that guy? And why'd he do that thing? And what's the Dollmaker - sorry, TOYmaker - got to do with it? And... and...").

My tv watching tends much more towards the police procedurals (Criminal Minds, CSI: Original Flavour and NCIS, mostly), and I'm a huge fan of Stargate:SG1 (NOT Atlantis) to the point where we run what I've been told is the largest/most active Stargate Play By Email on the net currently. So I have my own dork nexuses (nexii?) to keep me busy!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:28 am 
Orc
Orc

Wow! Fascinating insight, Hilary. SG-1 is my 2nd favourite sci-fi, so can empasize with your love of the show, at least until RDA left the regular cast.

I don't know if you've visited the following site, which has a few SG-1 cartoon strips, my favourite being one which does a crossover with a certain BBC UK tv series:

http://www.stargatefan.com/fandom/comic/T1.html

(Hope this isn't considered spamming)

Thanks

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:50 am 
Kobold
Kobold

Rich, do you have any guidelines on how your strip gets distributed? I have friends who I am sure would love your strip, but the practical difficulties of viewing it on-line for them means that they aren't likely to ever get through the whole thing.

Do you mind me having a copy of your comic on my computer? Do you mind me giving the files directly to these friends, so they can look at it without necessarily having to come to this site?

Sorry, I'm not sure if this is a stupid question, but I'm not sure what's appropriate protocol for webcomics.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:16 pm 
Creator
Creator

Ben Who wrote:
Rich, do you have any guidelines on how your strip gets distributed? I have friends who I am sure would love your strip, but the practical difficulties of viewing it on-line for them means that they aren't likely to ever get through the whole thing.

Do you mind me having a copy of your comic on my computer? Do you mind me giving the files directly to these friends, so they can look at it without necessarily having to come to this site?

Sorry, I'm not sure if this is a stupid question, but I'm not sure what's appropriate protocol for webcomics.

Well, we can't stop you, that's for sure. In fact, we know that some people have been downloading it and printing it off.
Just bear in mind that every time someone reads it OFFLINE, we lose a tiny bit of ad revenue. So if they could just visit the site once in a while just to give us the hit, or maybe make a wee donation if they enjoy themselves, that'd help us out. We can really use every little penny we can get.
But otherwise, by all means, I drew this comic for people to enjoy. Make sure they get to enjoy it for me!

-R & H

Profile WWW YIM  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:36 pm 
Orc
Orc

I was a bit confused by something in today's comic...10 was being all grumpy at Maxil because he killed Damon, and then when he left 6 acted very friendly toward Maxil. If he knew about Maxil killing Damon, shouldn't he have been angry (since, as I understand it, the Doctor met Damon when he was #5)?

Do the other Doctors know that Maxil killed Damon, and do they know about the Monk? Because only 10 met them. But then they did the mind-meld thing...did they just not get that info, being so busy un-Dalek-ing 10?

I completely understand if you can't reveal this, but I would like to find out what's up with 6 being so nice to a murderer eventually.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:34 am 
Creator
Creator

kittystitcher wrote:
I was a bit confused by something in today's comic...10 was being all grumpy at Maxil because he killed Damon, and then when he left 6 acted very friendly toward Maxil. If he knew about Maxil killing Damon, shouldn't he have been angry (since, as I understand it, the Doctor met Damon when he was #5)?

Do the other Doctors know that Maxil killed Damon, and do they know about the Monk? Because only 10 met them. But then they did the mind-meld thing...did they just not get that info, being so busy un-Dalek-ing 10?

I completely understand if you can't reveal this, but I would like to find out what's up with 6 being so nice to a murderer eventually.

Ah yes.. the intricate spaghetti web that is the plot of Doctor Who.
Okay, only the 10th Doctor knew about the Meddling Monk's presence, and about Damon's murder at the hands of Maxil. The others know that Damon is murdered (the 9th Doctor mentioned it earlier because he remembered this 'incident' from the perspective of the 8th Doctor before it was distorted by the events of "The 10 Doctors"), but they don't know who did it.
It's really quite a problem so we have to rely on "wibbly wobbly timey-wimey". Otherwise they'll all obsess over the same things and the story can't progress.
And frankly I'm getting to a point where I NEED that to happen for my own sanity.
They linked minds and shared memories, but obvious they couldn't share EVERYTHING or they'd be overwhelmed.

Also, it's clear in "Arc of Infinity" that the [5th] Doctor and Damon know eachother from before sometime. So they're 'old' friends? Possibly from when the 4th Doctor was visiting? It's not clear.

Profile WWW YIM  

[ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next