Rich Morris' Comics - YAFGC and The ComixBlog

Discussion forum for fans of YAFGC and Rich's ComixBlog. Because all the cool webcomics have one.

Jump to YAFGC / Jump to The ComixBlog

It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:27 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

[ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

READ BELOW BEFORE ANSWERING: What comics would you like to see on the ComixBlog?
More pure, single incarnation "Doctor Who" stories. 13%  13%  [ 3 ]
More multi-Doctor "Doctor Who" stories. 26%  26%  [ 6 ]
More "Doctor Who" crossovers with other shows. 35%  35%  [ 8 ]
More "Doctor Who" comics with my own original incarnation. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
More "Doctor Who" with my own original Time Lord character. 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
Other show fan stories with no "Doctor Who" in them. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
More "House of Paulus". 9%  9%  [ 2 ]
More other non-"Doctor Who" related comics. 9%  9%  [ 2 ]
Other (explain). 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 23
 Post subject: The Poll of Curiosity
PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 4:53 pm 
Creator
Creator

Before participating in this poll, read the following carefully. I have a lot of plans for the Comix Blog. Among them are more "Doctor Who", more "House of Paulus" and other non-Who related material. All I'm not sure about is what order I will draw them in. Which direction the wind will take me as one comic ends and another begins.
I find myself curious, however, about what you guys are hoping to see. The results are mostly just to satisfy my curiosity, but there is a slim possibility that should someday I find myself waffling too much I may look at the poll results to help me decide what to do next. Consider it a pre-flipped coin if I should ever need one.

Please don't give me story ideas. I'm not wanting for inspiration, honest. I've got stories dripping from my pores and I'd much rather do mine than someone else's. If you've got a great idea for a "Doctor Who" or other comic, please feel free to draw it (or write it) and tell us about it when you've got it posted somewhere.

Feedback is, of course, always interesting to read. So here it is, the Poll of Curiosity:

Profile WWW YIM  

Post subject: Re: The Poll of Curiosity
PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 6:18 pm 
Dragon
Dragon

This was a tough call for me. I have loved your Who stuff (though to be honest, although I enjoyed HoP, it didn't really *grab* me the way the others did), and I can't imagine you doing anything I don't like. But to have to answer, if I could choose, what would you do next...? It's kind of like deciding which of your children's personality features you like best, before they're born.

Any of the first five would have been OK for my vote. I guess I chose more multi-Doctor stories (Option 2) for a few reasons.
  • Options 4 and 5 didn't get my vote because - before I meet them - I have no way of knowing how much I'll love the Nth Doctor or another random Time Lord.
  • I didn't vote Option 3 because I'm a big chicken. I loved FJ. I am now a FK fan because of it. Not that I don't trust your storytelling (I do!), but the things I think are likely to be used for the next one don't grab me (yes, I'm basing that all on hearsay and have no way of knowing before you actually commit - so sue me ;)).
  • As for Option 1, since we appear to be getting one of those right now with Stalker, I thought it might be nice to change it up.

Whatever you decide to do next, I'll be here! :D

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:04 pm 
Beholder
Beholder

Love Doctor Who crossover fiction. I'll respect your wishes, and keep specific shows to myself. But I'm sure whatever show you choose will be done to perfection by you.

Keep up the good work, sir.

Profile YIM  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:25 am 
Puce Guardian
Puce Guardian

The Ten Doctors is what drew me to this site, so I'd be interested in seeing more of what you can do with one or more Doctors in a story, over any other choice, so I'll edge the flipped coin* one more nudge over to the multiple Doctor story - but I think you have a particular talent for combining characters from the show in interesting ways, so anything with at least one Doctor in it would do <g>

*Okay, with this many choices, we'd have to call it a slightly weighted die .. but then again, have you seen some of the currency the Doctor has in his pockets? Some probably have more sides than we need for this :mrgreen:

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:55 am 
Minotaur
Minotaur

I opt for any. I'm going to enjoy the creativity and not set my heart on one story type. Mix it up so its fun for BK to draw, its a hobby so it aught to be fun.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:32 pm 
Orc
Orc

I voted for the crossover option, as there are plenty of other shows, that would work well with Doctor Who & make a viable comic...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 1:35 am 
Kobold
Kobold

I voted for the multi-doctor option, but it was a tough call. Ultimately, I went with that option because:
1) It was the 10 Doctors that I fell in love with in the first place.
2) Multi-Doctor stories seem to be less and less likely to happen on the TV show, and there are so many that I'd love to see.

I would also love to see many other single doctor stories, such as the one we're all glued to right now, and, to a lesser extent, another crossover story.
I must admit that I sort of drifted in and out of the FK crossover. The story itself was excellent, but there were just too many characters I knew nothing and cared nothing about for it to hold my interest, never having seen FK.
Another attempt with a different show would be more than welcome, however!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:12 am 
Creator
Creator

La Bomba wrote:
The story itself was excellent, but there were just too many characters I knew nothing and cared nothing about for it to hold my interest, never having seen FK.

I find that an interesting comment. See, there's only 1 or 2 regular characters in Doctor Who ever. Meaning that every single episode is full of characters you know nothing [or care nothing] about. If you hadn't been told that "Forever Janette" was a crossover, how would you ever have known I wasn't just writing a vampire story for Doctor Who? I certainly never mentioned "Forever Knight".

Profile WWW YIM  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:20 am 
Minotaur
Minotaur

Beholder King wrote:
I find that an interesting comment. See, there's only 1 or 2 regular characters in Doctor Who ever. Meaning that every single episode is full of characters you know nothing [or care nothing] about. If you hadn't been told that "Forever Janette" was a crossover, how would you ever have known I wasn't just writing a vampire story for Doctor Who? I certainly never mentioned "Forever Knight".

You tell that to RTD and his bizarre insistance we have to meet back up with the companions family every few episodes...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:04 pm 
Creator
Creator

Mass wrote:
You tell that to RTD and his bizarre insistance we have to meet back up with the companions family every few episodes...

Oh right, I forgot about all that crap. Every second episode of seasons 1 and 2 were at the friggin' Tyler house.

Profile WWW YIM  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:53 am 
Orc
Orc

Although I loved T10D, I couldn't vote for more Multi-Doctors stories, at least not at this moment in time. You can get too much of a good thing. It'd be like the Daleks in the new series; great to start with, but now seen way to often. They start to loose any sense of credible threat.
One of the best things about The Three, Five, (even) Two Doctors and Time Crash were the rarity of such, well, events. If they teamed up too often it'd loose a bit of the magic. FJ was different, as the Doctors never actually met and was more like the old Hartnell serial, The Ark, where we just jumped along to a later point in the time stream.
I wouldn't stop reading if Rich did do another epic Multi Doctor story and I really do appreciate all the hard work and effort put in by you and Hilary and will faithfully follow your tales as long as you wish to share them. Please don't think I'm being critical of your work, it was just something I wanted to get off my chest.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:06 pm 
Kobold
Kobold

Beholder King wrote:
La Bomba wrote:
The story itself was excellent, but there were just too many characters I knew nothing and cared nothing about for it to hold my interest, never having seen FK.

Well, I guess I have an answer, and a confession...
My answer is that in most televised Doctor Who stories (the good ones at least), they take some time to give you enough background on the characters and enough character development to make you care about the characters. The female leads in Blink, The Girl in the Fireplace, and Human Nature/Family of Blood immediately spring to mind as examples.
I never felt as though I got to know any of the vampires in the story, their motivations, or came to care about or sympathize with any of them. It just felt as if I was thrust into the middle of something I was expected to already understand, and I didn't.

Now for my confession... I really don't like vampire stories anyway, so the likelihood is that even if I had been familiar with the source material, it probably wouldn't have made the story much more enjoyable. For some reason I've never been able to fully explain even to myself, vampires, werewolves and other "classic" horror monsters just leave me cold.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 3:00 pm 
Orc
Orc

(I just want more of 8 and Janette)

EDIT: (And maybe a little 2.5)

EDIT 2: (And the Dalek Ahn stuff)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:36 am 
Lich
Lich

Beholder King wrote:
Mass wrote:

Oh right, I forgot about all that crap. Every second episode of seasons 1 and 2 were at the friggin' Tyler house.

Tell me about it! All of time and space to choose from, and they treat that damned council estate as the most interesting spot in the universe?

Anyway, while my first vote is for House of Paulus, which I'm completely in love with (one time classical civ minor), my second would be for more Doctor Who historicals -- true historicals like they stopped making after "The Highlanders" if you have any ideas along those lines, pseudo-historicals like "The Masque of Mandragora" or your "The Stalker of Norfolk" if you don't. I don't much care if they're single or multi-doctor stories, or whether or not they involve crossovers.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:55 am 
Creator
Creator

Makkabee wrote:
Beholder King wrote:
Mass wrote:

Tell me about it! All of time and space to choose from, and they treat that damned council estate as the most interesting spot in the universe?

Anyway, while my first vote is for House of Paulus, which I'm completely in love with (one time classical civ minor), my second would be for more Doctor Who historicals -- true historicals like they stopped making after "The Highlanders" if you have any ideas along those lines, pseudo-historicals like "The Masque of Mandragora" or your "The Stalker of Norfolk" if you don't. I don't much care if they're single or multi-doctor stories, or whether or not they involve crossovers.

I totally agree. I've actually got a few ideas for pure historicals. I'll get to them eventually.

Profile WWW YIM  

[ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next