Rich Morris' Comics - YAFGC and The ComixBlog

Discussion forum for fans of YAFGC and Rich's ComixBlog. Because all the cool webcomics have one.

Jump to YAFGC / Jump to The ComixBlog

It is currently Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:16 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

[ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Character Popularity Poll
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 4:12 pm 
Creator
Creator

So, I've been thinking about YAFGC and stuff. I'm committed to the current storyline and it will go on as is. In regard to future stories, however, I'm wondering of whom would you like to see more?
Of whom would you like to see less?
(Yes, Phaing, I know you don't like Eddy. Or King Runtherd...Or Meegs....)

Care to elaborate on why you prefer or don't prefer certain characters?

Possible answers could include a group (The Royal Familiy of Umbril, the Drow of the Black Mountain, The people in Drostardy....etc) or individuals (Gren Razortooth and/or Bob -I've had a few requests for these two to return).

What about moving on and introducing new characters?

Let me know and let's discuss!
-R

Profile WWW YIM  

Post subject: Re: Character Popularity Poll
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 6:12 pm 
Demigod
Demigod

I would love to expand and explore more of the world. It is starting to feel a little tired, all of this happening to just a few people in about a decade or so.

Besides, I want to see what you can do with different cultures. Maybe track the pennangalan woman back to the Malaysia themed place she comes from? You'd get to have more pirates!

Then you are a bot and must be banned.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:41 pm 
Minotaur
Minotaur

Bob, Gren. I'd love to see them again. New characters are always cool even if it's just a one off story arc with them that gives the usual gang some time off. That will help keep things fresh.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:01 am 
Enforcer
Enforcer

I want more of Glon, Queen Nephilia and Wolf... Cadugan and Lucas. More or less, I find I like everyone under the mountain. I think it helps that they began their life in genuinely funny situations. The strip's initial emphasis on humor which gradually escalated on seriousness helped them get under the skin. Example: Glon thinking he is a half-elf was hilarious. In a few strips, when he spoke about loyalty to family above everything, it had a poignancy you did not expect, and it stuck.
Older characters are multi-layered by now, so anything they take on becomes automatically more interesting. I like new characters and new places, but I very much prefer it when they are introduced in a storyline along with the old ones. It takes a while to get invested in a new story, but when the story starts with established character you are instantly drawn in. Then, new characters are introduced in a narrative you are already immersed in and they are thus easier to relate to. It is much easier to see new places, when established characters ride into them. Then they might ride out of there carrying new plots, new characters, new locations into the main narrative.

I also want to see more of Elwood, the only rational wood elf in existence :na:. Tomas the bard for some reason, too. And a resolution to what happened to Adina's dad.

Oh, and an intelligent, beautiful elven warrior, lightly muscled, with long blond hair and a long cape. Do I really need to pretend I have a reason other than ogling for this one :D?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 2:03 pm 
Demigod
Demigod

So just how short do you want that skirt?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 6:33 pm 
Lich
Lich

Beholder King wrote:

Whoa now, I jest about the King, but I still like him, he has certain possibilities and he is a King that should have a good sense of humor when it comes to himself.
Considering his origin here, how could he not? :Peace:

I just wish he had a chance to show it.

Triphoppenskip wrote:
Bob, Gren. I'd love to see them again.

Tru dat! :clap:

Most favorite setting; the Mountain and its immediate surroundings.
Least fav; the Desert and it's cities.

But.... yeah, Morgana made me think a little harder than I normally am wont to do when looking at comics.
Its not the characters or the scenes that matter to me so much, but I miss the laughter. I used to LOL all the time reading this stuff, something I am not normally given to doing. Maybe that's why I blew the RP so badly last year, but it wasn't dissing people so much, just trying for a good laugh.

The unexpected poignancy really does elevate this comic, no question.
But, I miss the fun & funny stuff.
Hell , if Dewcup showed up, I'd probably be the first one to give her a kiss, just because.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:20 pm 
Creator
Creator

Lord_Fellgrin wrote:
I would love to expand and explore more of the world. It is starting to feel a little tired, all of this happening to just a few people in about a decade or so.!

Not sure it's the comic that's feeling a little tired so much as my writing. But I'm always on the lookout for something to invigorate my interests.

Lord_Fellgrin wrote:
Besides, I want to see what you can do with different cultures. Maybe track the pennangalan woman back to the Malaysia themed place she comes from? You'd get to have more pirates

This is something I'd also love to do. Explore other cultures in the setting. Just FYI, I'm planning to initiate some.... changes ....to the world that won't end the comic by any stretch, but will have a rather permanent effect on everything. Hopefully this will liven things up.

Triphoppenskip wrote:
Bob, Gren. I'd love to see them again. New characters are always cool even if it's just a one off story arc with them that gives the usual gang some time off. That will help keep things fresh.

It's funny, Bob and Gren are what started the whole thing and I get most requests for their return.... but honestly it's hard for me to imagine them as anything but a one-off gag. I can insert them into the stories as support characters, but as I've moved more and more towards more serious drama, Bob gets harder and harder to blend in successfully. He's such a caricature in a world that's gotten less so. (When I introduced "Mrs.Bloodhand" she was wearing an evening gown and pumps! In her second story she was going jogging in a track suit!! It's not the same world anymore.)

Morgana wrote:
I want more of Glon, Queen Nephilia and Wolf... Cadugan and Lucas. More or less, I find I like everyone under the mountain. I think it helps that they began their life in genuinely funny situations. The strip's initial emphasis on humor which gradually escalated on seriousness helped them get under the skin. Example: Glon thinking he is a half-elf was hilarious. In a few strips, when he spoke about loyalty to family above everything, it had a poignancy you did not expect, and it stuck.
Older characters are multi-layered by now, so anything they take on becomes automatically more interesting. I like new characters and new places, but I very much prefer it when they are introduced in a storyline along with the old ones. It takes a while to get invested in a new story, but when the story starts with established character you are instantly drawn in. Then, new characters are introduced in a narrative you are already immersed in and they are thus easier to relate to. It is much easier to see new places, when established characters ride into them. Then they might ride out of there carrying new plots, new characters, new locations into the main narrative.

This I can do.... Blending it with Lord Fellgrin's request to see more cultures, maybe having some of our favorites go a cruisin' to foreign lands.... hmmm... planplanplan

Morgana wrote:
I also want to see more of Elwood, the only rational wood elf in existence :na:. Tomas the bard for some reason, too. And a resolution to what happened to Adina's dad.

Oh, and an intelligent, beautiful elven warrior, lightly muscled, with long blond hair and a long cape. Do I really need to pretend I have a reason other than ogling for this one :D?

You're requesting this as a new character or are you thinking of someone I've already introduced... because I can't think of who that might be at the moment.....

Phaing wrote:
Beholder King wrote:

Whoa now, I jest about the King, but I still like him, he has certain possibilities and he is a King that should have a good sense of humor when it comes to himself.
Considering his origin here, how could he not? :Peace:

I just wish he had a chance to show it.

He's a very serious youth at the moment.

Phaing wrote:
Most favorite setting; the Mountain and its immediate surroundings.
Least fav; the Desert and it's cities.

Sorry, Phaing. I have a very strong affection for the desert setting. I'll not be phasing that out any time soon.

Phaing wrote:
But.... yeah, Morgana made me think a little harder than I normally am wont to do when looking at comics.
Its not the characters or the scenes that matter to me so much, but I miss the laughter. I used to LOL all the time reading this stuff, something I am not normally given to doing. Maybe that's why I blew the RP so badly last year, but it wasn't dissing people so much, just trying for a good laugh.

The unexpected poignancy really does elevate this comic, no question.
But, I miss the fun & funny stuff.
Hell , if Dewcup showed up, I'd probably be the first one to give her a kiss, just because.

I agree. I've gotten a lot more serious and I too miss the much sillier stuff. WIll take this into serious consideration as YAFGC moves into the future.
Thank you!!
Keep the discussion and commentary coming! I love this input.

Profile WWW YIM  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:27 am 
Enforcer
Enforcer

I love the serious stuff. They are what differentiates the comic from the rest. But like all spices, humor has a way of showcasing them. The most popular characters, are the ones introduced with a jest. Three strips down the line, we were crying about them.

As for Bob, I get your point but you do not need to worry: honestly, we know him so well he is not a caricature anymore. He is... Bob. Same for Wolf, Cloaks or any other. After all most of us are gamers and we have learned to suspend disbelief with these creatures.

This is not a request from me to bring more humor back. You should write exactly what you want to write. You are talented and it will turn out beautifully. People change and what they love or need to do changes with them.

Considering the desert setting, Unbril, I mostly love the caharcters. I want to know if the Prince married his elf (Fadinah, I think), how Vanessa copes with her husband a tree and her daughter away, what the eldest daughter got into. It is not so much the setting, as the characters.

If we are voting for other cultures (I know we are not but choose to ignore it 8)), I vote for an oriental adventures setting, a Japan-flavored one!

Oh, and back to my pretty elf: first, Fellgrin, you suck :na:. Second, BK, who are we talking about? My memory (and my elvenlust) fails me miserably!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 4:05 pm 
Demigod
Demigod

Fine, how short of a kilt do you want on your elf?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 6:30 pm 
Creator
Creator

Morgana wrote:
Second, BK, who are we talking about? My memory (and my elvenlust) fails me miserably!

That's my question. You're talking about an Elven warrior with long blond hair and a long cape. Who is that?

Profile WWW YIM  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 6:59 pm 
Lich
Lich

Morgana wrote:
If we are voting for other cultures (I know we are not but choose to ignore it 8)), I vote for an oriental adventures setting, a Japan-flavored one!

How about Thai instead?
While I love the food, I can only stomach so much of the rest of Japan, IMHO it gets used too much.

Oh, right, characters ... I got a little off-base there.

The new Queen of the Drow has many fascinating possibilities. And now that we know they are in contact with other Drow communities, the possible intrigues are limitless.
I just hope she comes out on top (oh, stop smirking, Wolf!!)

I miss Lewie, I have even been limiting the # of my posts since I don't want to lose my Litch rank too soon. A good sidekick would do him a world of good, and since I mentioned Dewcup earlier, how about the other Dewcup?
And if he has to go, I would prefer it if he was the one to put Jone down for good. THAT would be something to go out on, wouldn't it?

Nike the Harpy seemed destined for something bigger and better, but alas, the limitations of being bird-brained. Maybe there are some more Eagle-like children in her future?

And I made a bad call on the Desert; I suddenly recall that there are MinoSphinxes out there! :frogwink:
Sphinotaurs?
Minixes?

EDIT-
btw- there is no such thing as a skirt that is "too" short.
Just ask Posh Spice.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 8:39 pm 
Minotaur
Minotaur

The Monster Adventurers--the ones that met the Sphinx.

I'd like to see them on a new quest.

also, do not forget to keep comedy alive in the strip.
Day-to-day life under the Black Mountain was always fun & funny.

finally--MORE CHEESECAKE ART!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 8:49 pm 
Creator
Creator

bosda wrote:
The Monster Adventurers--the ones that met the Sphinx.

I'd like to see them on a new quest.

also, do not forget to keep comedy alive in the strip.
Day-to-day life under the Black Mountain was always fun & funny.

finally--MORE CHEESECAKE ART!

Monster adventurers? You mean the main cast from "Turg's Saga"?

Profile WWW YIM  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 7:38 am 
Minotaur
Minotaur

Also Chimera. :cheerleader:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:38 pm 
Enforcer
Enforcer

Beholder King wrote:
Morgana wrote:
Second, BK, who are we talking about? My memory (and my elvenlust) fails me miserably!

That's my question. You're talking about an Elven warrior with long blond hair and a long cape. Who is that?

Nobody you have introduced so far! Just one I am hoping for :D . A girl can dream.

Lord_Fellgrin wrote:
Fine, how short of a kilt do you want on your elf?

A long, black gothy one.
There, you made me picture it.

[ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next