Rich Morris' Comics - YAFGC and The ComixBlog

Discussion forum for fans of YAFGC and Rich's ComixBlog. Because all the cool webcomics have one.

Jump to YAFGC / Jump to The ComixBlog

It is currently Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:38 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

[ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: 10DAP Theme Tune
PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:41 am 
Minotaur
Minotaur

Location: The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Hello all. Sorry I've been incredibly busy for a good six months or so; between a familial bereavement, computer troubles and an increased workload I've found less and less time to do anything. So I come today with a peace offering, in the form of a theme tune for 10DAP which I cobbled together in my spare time. I'll be taking any comments and critiques, and anything you would like me to change, and I'll try and do my best (bearing in mind I currently don't have the program I need to work on it...)
So, without further ado:
The Ten Doctors (titles version): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DP4Aa3EpB0
And The Ten Doctors (full version): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfyLGJA45aM
Hope you enjoy!

Post subject: Re: 10DAP Theme Tune
PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:28 pm 
Dragon
Dragon

I like those. :) Care to share anything about your process?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:56 pm 
Puce Guardian
Puce Guardian

That was good. The second one had a definite funeral dirge about it that picked up a bit in the middle.

I did get a kick of seeing your Ten Doctor "cutouts", all in order like that :D :mrgreen:

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:40 pm 
Minotaur
Minotaur

Location: The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Thanks for the kind words, guys.

mrfranklin wrote:
I like those. :) Care to share anything about your process?

Basically I was trying to create an amalgam of the television themes. I borrowed the "reverse cymbal" hissing from the Hartnell theme and made it more melodic, the timpani/bass drum was taken from the start of the TV Movie ("It was on the planet Skaro that my old enemy the Master was finally put on trial...") and I also used Murray Gold's violin counter-melody (or, "the run") from the new series. The "rraaarrrl" after the first three notes of the melody was based on the Davison-era theme, and the ending was directly inspired by the Pertwee/Baker theme, though I haven't faded it out as that sort of thing should happen in the final mix of the episodes.

Aside from that I just decided to throw in a few things I thought would be cool, like the organ and tubular bell to give it a slow build up (full version), and the brass imitating the main melody (again in the style of Murray Gold in places) as well as the "duh-nah-duh-nah-duh-nah" before the middle-8. I also changed some structural things in the full version, such as the second middle-8 being much quieter apart from the melody and the bass, and the final reprise modulating to the dominant key (whoah!).

M'reen wrote:
The second one had a definite funeral dirge about it that picked up a bit in the middle.

Yeah, I removed the organ sound from the short version as I kind of realised that it was too glum and didn't really suit the mood of The Ten Doctors.

I did all this on a software called Cubase, which lets you create and edit audio and music. Of course, now that I no longer has access to it, I'm saving the funds in order to buy it at home. At which time, I'll be composing and arranging more tracks for 10DAP; I'm currently thinking of motifs for Gallifrey, the First Doctor, and the Daleks!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 10:21 am 
Minotaur
Minotaur

Hi guys, just a quick fleeting visit on someone else's 'puter.

I'll have a look at that theme music when my laptop is back on monday, great to hear you're going to be composing. At the moment ive been using a library of music from various era's of the show.

I was thinking of using each Doctors era theme depending on which doc would be most prevelant in each episode (eg 10 for ep 1, 4 for ep 2 and so on), but our own version of the theme sounds great

[ 5 posts ]