Rich Morris' Comics - YAFGC and The ComixBlog

Discussion forum for fans of YAFGC and Rich's ComixBlog. Because all the cool webcomics have one.

Jump to YAFGC / Jump to The ComixBlog

It is currently Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:51 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

[ 259 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 18  Next
 Post subject: The Ten Doctors: Audio Play Version
PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 1:27 pm 
Minotaur
Minotaur

Location: The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
So, this idea has been bouncing around in my head for a while... would an audio play version of The Ten Doctors work?

With the comic itself drawing to a close, this is an excellent way to keep the spirit of The Ten Doctors alive - and with the support of the community it could easily be achieved.

I've started prepatory work on a few episodes but I've got two major questions before I can continue:

Rich and Hilary: are you alright with this project?

And to everyone else: anyone interested in helping me out with this?

Post subject: Re: The Ten Doctors: Audio Play Version
PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:24 am 
Creator
Creator

Wow...that's a really interesting idea. Not sure how it will work without some rewriting since at least some of it is visual... I think...
I don't have a problem with this per se, though the usual applies: Please credit where credit is due.. if this goes online somewhere please link to the comic. Doctor Who properties copywrite the BBC. No trying to make money off of it or the BBC will hunt us all down and squish us like bugs.

Profile WWW YIM  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:18 am 
Orc
Orc

How will you make this audio play?

Will you find people who can do good impressions of the characters to do the voices, or will you sample the voices of the actors?

If you choose the latter, don't forget you don't just have to sample the show, you can use any existing audio plays, or even other shows the actors have been in.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:58 pm 
Minotaur
Minotaur

Beholder King wrote:
Please credit where credit is due.. if this goes online somewhere please link to the comic. Doctor Who properties copywrite the BBC. No trying to make money off of it or the BBC will hunt us all down and squish us like bugs.

Naturally. Thank you very much!

Snaresman wrote:
Will you find people who can do good impressions of the characters to do the voices, or will you sample the voices of the actors?

I'm hoping to use fans of the comic on the forums and those who comment. I wanted Rich's permission first before I started the task at hand - but now auditions are open for anyone who wants to take part!

Here is how the process will go:
- You find a clip of the character you want to play saying any line from any episode (preferably a lengthy line or short speech).

- Then you record yourself imitating that character's line, and send both clips to russellhgardner@hotmail.co.uk.

- I'll add you to a temporary cast list. If multiple auditions are recieved for the same character then I may put them up on the forums for people to vote.

Simple! (Makes me feel like a children's TV presenter explaining the postal giveaway.) So, off you go people! Make the Doctor proud!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:20 pm 
Orc
Orc

Cool idea. I won't be participating though, because I don't sound like anyone. :)

What of the original characters, like the president of gallifrey?

Does anyone know what doctor 2.5 sounds like?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:15 pm 
Orc
Orc

I'd love to help out, but my English accent is worse than non-existent.

Maybe I could help out some other way, or something?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:00 am 
Minotaur
Minotaur

Snaresman wrote:
What of the original characters, like the president of gallifrey?

The original characters are mostly new members of a race we've already met. The President of Gallifrey will sound like any upper class Time Lady, Colonel Hazyx like any other Sontaran, Exaar like any other Ice Lord, and so on from there...

Snaresman wrote:
Does anyone know what doctor 2.5 sounds like?

There's some clips over on the Devious website: http://www.doctorwho-devious.com/clips/horses.htm
(Though I could only get the "horses" out-take to work)
Also on the Devious website, they talk about The Ten Doctors: http://www.doctorwho-devious.com/news/f ... r_2009.htm

kittystitcher wrote:

Well since it's an audio play format, the only other things that need doing are sound effects, voice manipulation and music. Do you have any expertise?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:31 am 
Orc
Orc

Arraitchgee wrote:
kittystitcher wrote:

Well since it's an audio play format, the only other things that need doing are sound effects, voice manipulation and music. Do you have any expertise?

None at all. Oh well, I can wish you good luck with it at least!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:32 pm 
Orc
Orc

Well, I don't know who I could realistically play, except maybe Peri (snerk) because I'm American, but...I have been in a couple (amateur) Internet radio dramas before, and seemed to get good reviews. My British accent is of course, painfully fake to actual Brits, but I _did_ fool a fellow Yank once without even meaning to. (I said something in a British accent to be silly, he thought that was how I really sound...)

So I'm probably like, a bit better than the average American who hasn't _watched_ any British TV at all and still thinks in terms of only the stereotype, but hardly professional.
However, in terms of _acting_, like, saying the line with the right emotion, timing, etc.--THAT I can do. It's just the voice that might be the problem.

My natural voice is...to me, medium-pitch, although I always come out sounding a bit higher and younger than I think I sound, in recordings. But now that my microphone is finally working again, with my new computer, I'd be glad to have a go! I'm not sure I _can_ sound specifically like any Doctor Who characters...but I'll give it my best.

Question: Do we say a line that the character said on the show for the "audition tape", or do we try saying lines FROM "The Ten Doctors"? Just wondering.

...Notorious

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:31 pm 
Minotaur
Minotaur

kittystitcher wrote:
None at all. Oh well, I can wish you good luck with it at least!

Thank you very much, kittystitcher - I may need all the luck I can get. If anything else crops up, I'll let you know. But for now read my reply to Captain Chaotica...

Captain Chaotica wrote:
Well, I don't know who I could realistically play, except maybe Peri (snerk) because I'm American, but...

Both Peri and Grace are American characters, should we get as far as any of their lines before the project disintegrates...

I wasn't expecting top-notch impressions of the characters, just something pretty close. Just have a watch of a few episodes of the show, try and repeat what the characters say, and experiment. You may be pleasantly surprised! (This is how I found I could do a pretty good Fourth Doctor, but I'd hate to suggest myself for such a popular part!)

As for you, Captain Chaotica (or would you prefer "Notorious"?), it'll be good to have someone who's done amdram* before, especially across the internet, as I hate to admit that this is my first...

* amdram: a British contraction of "amateur dramatics"

Captain Chaotica wrote:
Question: Do we say a line that the character said on the show for the "audition tape", or do we try saying lines FROM "The Ten Doctors"? Just wondering.

For now, I'd just like a short recording of a character's line from an episode of the show, before we go into the realms of The Ten Doctors, thanks.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 8:19 am 
Creator
Creator

Arraitchgee wrote:
kittystitcher wrote:

Both Peri and Grace are American characters, should we get as far as any of their lines before the project disintegrates...

And for male Americans, there's Jack. And the extra aliens and UNIT soldiers could sport western accents if it came down to it.

Profile WWW YIM  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:00 am 
Goblin
Goblin

I would love playing the master or the war cheif or some other timelord, maybe even dare I say it? A doctor? Can I play the 2.5 Doctor?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 4:14 pm 
Kobold
Kobold

This is a really cool idea!

Not sure how I can offer expertise, I write for audio but obviously you've got a script! I'll test out my English accent and see if I could pass; if not, I could try for Grace or Peri ...

Fun!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:31 pm 
Minotaur
Minotaur

Hi gang, a bit of an update. The script for the first installment has been completed and is practically word-for-word what was in the first 28 pages of the comic. Since I'm thinking we test the waters with the first episode before leaping into a full adaptation/series, here's the complete character list (in order of appearance):

Tenth Doctor
Rose Tyler
Ninth Doctor
Ace
Seventh Doctor
Second Doctor
Jamie McCrimmon
Zoe Herriot
Third Doctor
Jo Grant
Fifth Doctor
Tegan Jovanka
Vislor Turlough
Sixth Doctor (and Commander Maxil)
Peri Brown
First Doctor
Susan Foreman
Fourth Doctor
Romana II
K-9 Mark II
Lady President
Eighth Doctor
Technician (audition not required, available for all takers!)
The Master
The Valeyard (on radio)
Draconian Ambassador (ref: 'Frontier in Space')
Slaan (Ice Warrior)
General Exaar (Ice Lord)
Mentor Ambassador (ref: 'Vengeance on Varos', 'Mindwarp')
Alpha Centauri (ref: 'The Monster of Peladon', 'The Curse of Peladon')
Moxx Ambassador (ref: 'The End of the World')
Terileptil Ambassador (ref: 'The Visitation')
Foamasi Ambassador (ref: 'The Leisure Hive')
Arcturian Ambassador (ref: 'The Monster of Peladon', 'The Curse of Peladon')
Colonel Hazyx (Sontaran)
Tythonian Ambassador (ref: 'The Creature from the Pit')

So, auditions for these characters, please!

DoctorParadox wrote:
I would love playing the master or the war cheif or some other timelord, maybe even dare I say it? A doctor? Can I play the 2.5 Doctor?

Should we get as far as the War Chief or the Two-and-a-Halfth Doctor, feel free to audition then. For now pick any character from the list and follow the instructions I've posted previously, thanks!

Bad_DickensTTZ wrote:
This is a really cool idea!

Not sure how I can offer expertise, I write for audio but obviously you've got a script! I'll test out my English accent and see if I could pass; if not, I could try for Grace or Peri ...

Fun!

Seems Grace and Peri are becoming popular! Do try an English accent if you can (and this goes to all auditionees). Doctor Who itself is no stranger to fake accents - Nicola Bryant (Peri) is actually English and as for David Tennant's cockney... anyone prefer him Scottish?

I digress. Refer to the fourth post in this thread for audition rules, and have fun!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:57 pm 
Puce Guardian
Puce Guardian

Hehheh - well, I dont think there's anyone who actually thought Nicole was American <g>

Profile WWW  

[ 259 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 18  Next