Rich Morris' Comics - YAFGC and The ComixBlog

Discussion forum for fans of YAFGC and Rich's ComixBlog. Because all the cool webcomics have one.

Jump to YAFGC / Jump to The ComixBlog

It is currently Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:58 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

[ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject: Re: The dreaded printed word
PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:23 am 
Enforcer
Enforcer

Yes, this one. It ha dit all. I did not watch the tv series but i did carry around this brick of a book so i could read it any chance i got!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:09 pm 
Lich
Lich

Morgana wrote:
Yes, this one. It ha dit all. I did not watch the tv series but i did carry around this brick of a book so i could read it any chance i got!

It was definitely a brick, but it was an enjoyable one.
As opposed to, say, getting hit by a lemon wrapped around a gold brick...;)

The TV series is definitely worth watching, and you can get it on DVD these days.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:19 am 
Creator
Creator

Bunshichi wrote:
Morgana wrote:

It was definitely a brick, but it was an enjoyable one.
As opposed to, say, getting hit by a lemon wrapped around a gold brick...;)

The TV series is definitely worth watching, and you can get it on DVD these days.

Leonard Nimoy playing a Japanese man was pretty funny.

Profile WWW YIM  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:21 pm 
Enforcer
Enforcer

I caught a few scenes, and they did the atmosphere of the book a disservice The bauty and the cruelty were not conveyed, only the strangeness. Then again -as i said, i only caught a few scenes.

Anyone read Holly Black? I want to start White Cat.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:16 am 
Enforcer
Enforcer

Ok, Holly Black's cursewrokers trilogy is very good. Definitely recommended. On the other hand i started Tam Lin, and i am less, mush less than thrilled.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:22 am 
Goblin
Goblin

The only fantasy I read with any regularity, is Terry Pratchett.

I think reading too much military fiction has spoiled the fantasy genre for me. I keep wanting someone to invent gunpowder.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 4:08 pm 
Puce Guardian
Puce Guardian

Not a fan of military fiction, but I recently fell for Naomi Novik's Temoraire series (His Majesty's Dragon is the first). It's an alternate history in the early 19th century, where war is waged with soldiers, navies and fleets of dragons in areal warfare. Told from the point of view of a British navy captain finding himself captaining a dragon thru chance, desperate to help Nelson defeat Napoleon.

I just started the 3rd book, Black Powder War, and the series clearly a scifi sort of alternate future. The captain is an unusually observant and fair minded fellow, and as open-minded as someone of his century could be as his expectations and limits he puts on others are constantly confounded by his observations, once he sees that social convictions of his time do not hold true to close examination, nor can he justify them to his querying, intelligent young dragon.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:37 am 
Enforcer
Enforcer

I was left speechless by Barker's Imajica. At some point i stopped reading because it was too intense and also because i did not want it to end quickly.

Imajica is both fantasy -in that it has magic, sprawling fantasy worlds, fantastical races and quests- and dark fantasy in tnat part of it is set in London. It is definitely adult oriented not only because of the explicit and ongoing sex scenes and themes but because the characters themselves are adults and not wet behind the ears adventurers.
The story and the setting attacked me with a freshness i hadn't seen in ages and the opening page is one of the most catching i've read. Take a look:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Imajica-Clive-Barker/dp/0006178049/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1358336188&sr=8-1

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:14 pm 
Demigod
Demigod

Not exactly the printed word, but I just got an e-mail notice that WotC's back selling pdfs through OBS/DTRPG. None of the novels are included yet, but they have a gig of old adventure files.

Including the entire U series. Fun to play right after a Jaws marathon, let me tell you...

Then you are a bot and must be banned.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:28 pm 
Puce Guardian
Puce Guardian

Found a very fun steampunk adventure series - listed as scifi in Barnes&Noble, but Paranormal Romance in Half Price Books .. so I guess unless there is a steampunk section, check everywhere <g> - the Alexia Tarabotti novels by Gail Carriger.

If Jane Austin had written Buffy the Vampire Slayer, this would be it. Very witty, fun and clever 19th century adventures of a preternatural, someone born without a soul who can negate the powers of those with excess soul, namely werewolves and vampires, and the odd ghost. Modern enlightened England accepts the supernatural as part of society, tho in the Dark Ages the secret preternatuals hunted them down.

Alexia Tarabottie's bluestocking interests and dry spinster wit aside, her main concerns are not being embarrassed by her half-Italian heritage, discovery of her soulless state, assassination attempts, or worse, being late for tea.

Built like an opera singer (and apparently a Streisand like, or larger, nose), armed with a weighted parasol, and considerable wit and knowledge, she's typically more than a match for her poor unsuspecting assassins. In each book she faces a mystery that she and BUR (Bureau of Unnatural Registry) must solve between political intrigue, mad scientists, assassination attempts, and tea, preferably served with sandwiches and treacle.

While there are some few scenes of a sexual nature, at least in the first novel, its not exactly a torrid romance story, and it's mostly expressed in humor, in the spinster's unrelenting curiosity and scientific exploration of the matter.

Books I've seen around so far are :
Soulless
Changeless
Blameless
Heartless
Timeless

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:59 am 
Enforcer
Enforcer

I have not read any steampunk, should i start at that?

My new find is Catherynne M. Valente, by the way. After being completely absorbed in her fantastical (and fantastic) novels i found out she is also full of awards up to her neck, so some of you probably know her already. Best wordcrafting and imagery i have seen in a while, fascinating dreamlike plots and the strongest sense of atmosphere.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:01 pm 
Puce Guardian
Puce Guardian

I would think steam punk would be your thing - scifi alternate past history , and often some fantasy mixed in, all marching side by side in Victorian, and sometimes Edwardian glory (tho some fans are strict about only using the term for the steam age). Humor and cravats (or at least goggles and a parasol) are a must to get thru any story. Like all genres, if it's well written, it's worth the journey. (I'd imagine our busy Dungeon Master would love the genre for the sake of the costumes alone <g>)

I read - or watch, or listen - Jane Austin from time to time, and enjoy scfi and fantasy twists that tackle her era's style vs modern sensibilities. So the Soulless Alexi Tarabotti was an easy sell to me. Some other steampunk novels I've dabbled in reading have been more of a painstaking effort of polite endurance to get to the meat of the story. A bit like some of those layered Victorian costumes.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:43 am 
Enforcer
Enforcer

Unfortunately in fantasy or dark fantasy or steampunk, many writers get lost in the "dressing" instead of going for the substance. Easy mistake to do. Swords and capes and steam powered weapons are cool but they should be the cherry on top of a good narration. Tolkien would not be remembered for his descriptions alone.

[ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3